Rock Solo Attempt, First Half Only...
I am Loki
May 17 2008, 02:06 PM
GMC:er
Hi There Trond!

This is my current progress towards the rock solo. This was recorded without any backing so the timing was all in my head. Its a bit off, but timing isnt really the focus at the moment. I am trying to get the sounds right. I think my bending is improving, but still not quite right. I sometimes get it really right and sometimes am sharp or flat.

Im also having a lot of trouble controlling the noise of the guitar, perhaps my distort settings are too high. Its so sensitive....
Almost got the harmonic this time too. I usually miss it, but sometimes get it right (it was only half right this time). I guess I need lots of practice.

I have not yet mastered the octave run, its my next target. I hope to have a complete attempt with the backing track up soon. Please let me know what you think so far and if you have any ideas to help me deal with keeping the guitar quiet when I want it to be I would really appreciate it.

Once I get the noise under control I will record it with a backing (the backing really does help hide it, but I don't want to rely on that).

Loki,

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Video_65.wmv ( 12.16MB ) Number of downloads: 571

--------------------
Guitar: Dark Blue Schecter S1-Elite
Effects: Boss GT-10
Amp: Headphones :P
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
May 17 2008, 06:03 PM
Instructor
Not bad smile.gif You did great on some of the sections, like the thing with the harmonics on the 5th fret and the following notes.

Technically, your bends are good, but you bend the notes way too much.
Try to familiarise yourself with what note you should end the bend on.
Like on the first bend in the video. It's on the 12th fret, and it should be bent up one halfstep, and once bent fully up, should sound like the same note as you get when playing the 13th fret. So in short, get to know the note your bending up to.

Probably a bit messy explanation, but i hope it makes sense smile.gif

I think you did a good job all in all though, and cant wait for the rest smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: May 17 2008, 06:04 PM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
I am Loki
May 18 2008, 03:41 AM
Thanks for your comments!

I actually thought that all the bends were one full step. I really tore my fingers up learning to do them (they are now nice and hard cool.gif) . So in short I was actually aiming at the 14th fret.

I'm listening to it now and I can certainly hear that its wrong... Ill go and carefully listen to the bends. I guess Ill just make sure that whatever I am bending to is actually on the scale this time biggrin.gif

Anyway, ill redo it with the rest as I can.

Loki,

This post has been edited by I am Loki: May 18 2008, 03:50 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spreedmaster
May 21 2008, 12:29 AM
Hey pretty good! Cant wait to see you do the full thing with the backing! Nice guitar by the way!

--------------------
''It is not herasy, and I will not repent''

Guitars:B.C. Rich WMD SOB with EMG 81/85s and Afterburner
B.C. Rich green acrylic ice Mockingbird with Rockfield Mafia/Fat ass
Black Peavy Rotor EX
ESP LTD DV200 with an irongear hammerhead in the bridge

Gear: Marshall MG15DFX
POD 2.0
Dunlop crybaby
Behringer UM300
Danelectro FAB metal
Biyang DS-7
Behringer EQ700

+Quote Post
I am Loki
May 23 2008, 02:18 PM
Hehe, that guitar is too good for me. I do not deserve it. Its wonderful.

Well now that I know I was bending too much sometimes I've corrected it and its sounding much better. Focusing on getting the octave run sounding clean, then the strangely tricky legato bit. I keep muffling the strings. Woe. I have to work out how to get my computer to mix properly too. At the moment its only handling one source properly.

Anyway thanks for you're comments! Ill keep practicing hard! XD

Ill guess I will have it down enough to record by next week. Give or take a bit.

Loki,

--------------------

+Quote Post
besip
Aug 24 2008, 11:40 PM
No bad man and great harmonics..i'm also work on that song long time actualy i'm was stop becouse the octave run made me crazy smile.gif becouse thats the main point on that song whats made me trouble to play it on right speed
actualy i'm like to training speed on metronome but when i'm play song or part song it's crazy for me

Maybe whats be can help me with the licks is Trond type of metronome....
keep working man cool.gif

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jun 18 2010, 06:20 AM
Learning Roadie
I liked the tone of the guitar. The harmonic was nice! I'm having trouble with it. I thought I was getting it. I'm trying to figure out the best way I need to do it. Probably use the middle finger for it. The octave runs aren't so bad going up for me, it's the down part of the octaves that get me sometimes.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:43 PM