> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Progressive Rock Rhythm Lesson, Lesson By Pablo Vazquez
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
7 [ 2 ] ** [66.67%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

Mirba
Nov 7 2016, 08:15 PM
Learning Rock Star
Original lesson: Progressive Rock Rhythm Lesson by Pablo Vazquez

Hey Guys,

Appreciate your comments on my other videos. I'm working hard on my alternate picking technique and trying to keep my right hand relaxed while playing at higher speeds. But if i'm not actively focusing on relaxing, it will still tense up.

Anyway, for this lesson I chose a progressive rock lesson
Because i'm a big progressive rock/metal fan I felt like I needed to complete a lesson in that genre smile.gif
Some picking runs in this lesson took a time to learn but overall i'm pretty happy how it turned out:)

(Also still fighting with the headphone cables tongue.gif)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mirba: Nov 7 2016, 08:53 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 9 2016, 12:02 PM
Instructor
Hey there!

First of all - your guitar could be a little louder in the mix - just 2-3 dB's more. That would make details more visible for us to spot potential issues.

It's a quite old lesson and considering recording quality of those days, for me the tone in your take is even better than original.

At 0:19 you need to fix hand sync. You played twice the same note (that's what can be heard) That means you've put your ring finger too fast.

0:50 - you can try to use your right palm to additionally mute the strings. Try to experiment how to place it. This way you may get even better results in muting this noise of left hand fingers being released.

Strong parts of your playing are:
- good timing
- good noise muting
- even tone from the hand
- Proper, overall feel

Generally you're good at lessons at this level. There is only one "but". Your right hand. I would suggest to make some kind of break from doing particular lessons and review your right hand. It's all ok while you play riffs. Once you try to play anything faster, it becomes frozen in the wrist and the forearm take the full care of picking movement. That's something that will limit you at some point.

Try to assign similar mechanics as you use for playing regular riffs. Your hand can rest on it's bottom part (looking from players perspective) on solo0like playing as well. It's and idea of using mechanics you are already familiar too. Many player use the same position and mechanics for both - rhtyhm and solo. In your case it will mean to simply not change the angle of your wrist while playing faster runs. On low strings it should work really fine without tones of additional practise. Higher strings are totally different story

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 9 2016, 12:36 PM
Instructor
Hi man, this is quite a solid take and yes, it makes sense to work on lessons that are in the genre you enjoy. I always find that you make better progress if you enjoy what you're doing.

As Darius pointed out, there's some small moments of hand sync issues, like at 0:19. The 3rd finger and 4th finger are common problems areas when played one after the other. The main riff still sounds a bit 'stiff' at the moment but as your hand sync and picking improve you will relax and these types of riffs will flow much more smoothly.

The final legato run needs to be a bit clearer, as the non picked notes are not sounding as loudly as the picked note at the beginning. There's also a slight timing issue as I think the pull-offs are happening a bit too quickly. This is caused by a lack of finger independence. When the fingers aren't too good at moving independently they tend to perform their movements at the wrong time, usually too early smile.gif So just be aware of this issue, especially with any legato licks.

Good work!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 10 2016, 02:58 PM
Instructor
Hi mate,

Good job with this lesson! I think that your playing is tight and consistent in most of the lesson. There are only two details that I would like to comment about this one:

- That fast passage at 00:22 shows that you need to work your alternate picking technique at fast tempos. You lost the sync of both hands, and I think that your right hand movement could be smaller. We have many picking lessons that will help you to master this technique. Check Darius and Ben's alternate picking lessons: LINK

- Another thing that I note, and also related your picking technique is the way you hold your pick. Please re-check your right hand thumb since It's better to hold the pick more with the tip of the thumb. More like this:

Attached Image

Other than that, this is good, keep the hard work!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Fran
Nov 15 2016, 11:02 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 6.7

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:58 AM