Intonation Problem
Renan
Jul 13 2013, 02:42 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi everyone!

As Gabriel , Cosmin and Darius said , my guitar is out of tune. biggrin.gif
So I adjusted the intonation with the screwdriver, but at the high E string I've arrived at the end and can't turn it anymore.
What can I do ? And sorry for my grammar mistakes biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 13 2013, 05:38 PM
Instructor
Hi Renan! I'm not sure about what is happening... your string reached to the end of what? Please give me more details.

Thanks!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 13 2013, 05:51 PM
GMC:er
Very rare issue though happened to one of students, he mailed to the company (graphtech) and they sended longer screws for free. Which end do you mean? details would be great and tell us how you did the intonation maybe its a process mistake?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Renan
Jul 13 2013, 06:18 PM
Learning Rock Star
Sorry guys sad.gif
Here's the picture :

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 13 2013, 06:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Renan @ Jul 13 2013, 02:18 PM) *
Sorry guys sad.gif
Here's the picture :

Ah, now I can see what you mean, are you using new strings?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Renan
Jul 13 2013, 06:31 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 13 2013, 05:26 PM) *
Ah, now I can see what you mean, are you using new strings?

No they aren't , I think 10 or 11 months passed after putting them.

+Quote Post
Socky42
Jul 13 2013, 06:33 PM
QUOTE (Renan @ Jul 13 2013, 06:31 PM) *

Yeah, just get a new set of strings and it should be fine.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 13 2013, 06:54 PM
QUOTE (Socky42 @ Jul 13 2013, 05:33 PM) *
Yeah, just get a new set of strings and it should be fine.

...And change them more frequently biggrin.gif using old strings is one of the the worst thing you can do to the guitars frets.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Renan
Jul 13 2013, 07:19 PM
Learning Rock Star
Okay , thanks a lot! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 13 2013, 07:20 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Renan @ Jul 13 2013, 02:31 PM) *

ah! that must be the problem! Go for new ones and I think that you shouldn't have this problem.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 14 2013, 08:23 AM
Instructor
11 months is WAY too much - bro, I suggest you change them after 1 month at most, if they are not Elixirs or that sort of strings - Elixirs can last for about 3 months of good tone.

+Quote Post
Renan
Jul 14 2013, 09:16 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 14 2013, 07:23 AM) *
11 months is WAY too much - bro, I suggest you change them after 1 month at most, if they are not Elixirs or that sort of strings - Elixirs can last for about 3 months of good tone.

They are elixir. biggrin.gif It's a bit expensive in our country so I don't change them often , but from now on I will !

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jul 14 2013, 03:04 PM
I use d'Addario EXL120 nickel wounded as of now, and according to how frequently I play, I change my strings every 1, 1 and a half, or 2 months. I think 2 and a half month at most for elixir strings would be enough time to get them changed.

I always scrape a finger or a nail under the strings and if there's any black dirt on my finger after I'm done, those strings get changed ASAP smile.gif that's something I do to check the condition of my strings.

Also, if you play very much, you risk rusting your strings and even a wee bit of rust on your strings can ruin your frets. My oldest guitar (Which I love biggrin.gif ) got a fret change because of this. It had nickel frets and I didn't change my strings till I broke one, so they got ruined pretty quick, now I have stainless steel frets on that guitar smile.gif

EDIT: An important point: wipe your strings after every time you play, they last a whole lot longer, trust me. It wouldn't seem so, but trust me it does! biggrin.gif Wipe down your guitar body too, but use a separate cloth for your guitar body (a very soft cloth) and a different one for strings.

This post has been edited by sammetal92: Jul 14 2013, 03:07 PM

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 14 2013, 06:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Renan @ Jul 14 2013, 05:16 AM) *
They are elixir. biggrin.gif It's a bit expensive in our country so I don't change them often , but from now on I will !

Yeah, it can be expensive to change strings every month but at least you have to change them once you notice that you can't keep the tuning in the whole fret board with that string. That's the moment when you need to change it.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 15 2013, 08:14 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Renan @ Jul 14 2013, 08:16 AM) *

I have written another post on this theme, so I will make things short - if you spend, let's say, 6 euro on a pack of normal strings (uncoated ones) and if you want good tone, you will usually change 1 pack at about 3 weeks, because they will wear fast.

If you use coated strings which are more expensive at first glance - you will spend 15 euro on a pack once every 2 months and 2 weeks let's say. That means about 10 weeks - so 15 euros each 10 weeks is less than 6 euros once every 3 weeks - am I correct? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 15 2013, 08:35 AM
Instructor
Wow! Renan You need a huge kick in the arse biggrin.gif 11 months ? 1 month is deadline for true intonation perfection. After strings start to strech and get some iregularness in case of tone and intonation.

There is also a possibility (had it not once in students guitars) that the bridge was in the wrong place - a bit to far or a bit to close comparing to the measure that should be there. Had this very often with some Vintage V100 before they changed the factory which makes those cheap series. Most of them was not able to reach correct measure setting because the bridge was too far and the high notes of a two lowest strings (A, E) was always at too low pitch.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:25 PM