A Question For Pavel, Scales
Jeffrey
Aug 23 2007, 12:11 PM
GMC:er
First off I would just like to say that I love ALL your lessons and I've learned basicly all of them=) I Just want to know do you use the Ionian scale when doing most of your sweeping? Also if I wanted a like of "evilish" sounding tone or scale for my sweeps what would I use?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Guitar:
IPB Image

Schecter FR C-1 Hellraiser
CONSTRUCTION/SCALE: Set-Neck w/ Ultra Access /25.5"
BODY: Mahogany w/ Quilted Maple Top
NECK/FINGERBOARD: 3-pc. Mahogany/Rosewood
FRETS: 24 X-Jumbo
INLAYS: Gothic Cross
PICKUPS: EMG active 81/85
ELECTRONICS: Vol/Vol/Tone/3-Way switch
BRIDGE: Original Floyd Rose Tremolo
BINDING: Abalone
TUNERS: Grover
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 23 2007, 05:45 PM
Instructor
Thanks m8!

Ionian scale means MAJOR scale! You don't want all your sweeps to be major smile.gif When sweeping i think in chords and not in scales because sweeps are most often chords played using arpeggio (1 note at a time). So what i mostly use for sweeping are: major shapes, minor shapes, diminished shapes, 7th shapes.

If you want to play a sweep part you should be able to sing it, exactly what you want to play in your head before applying it to guitar or you may pretty fast get pissed off by not finding your way around fretboard and that's the worst thing to happen.

Play a note - for example A (5th string, 12th fret) and now when you know the root note try to sing in your head the whole arpeggio or all the arpeggios you want to play.

Hope this helps!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Jeffrey
Aug 24 2007, 12:09 AM
Also Ionian is major, dorian is minor? and what is the best scale to get a metal sounding solo? Also when I'm playing my solos they always end up with a bluesy feel and I want a more metal sound=( so basicly what i want to know is what scale(s) is power/speed meetal based off of and what techniques should I use to make my songs sound more metal? thx for your help smile.gif

--------------------
My Guitar:
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Jeffrey
Aug 24 2007, 12:27 AM
Heres an example of a solo I was trying to make but ended up some blues thing(I dont ahve anythign against blues infact I love it but i'm not trying to solo in the blues style for most of my songs laugh.gif )

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Solo1.mp3 ( 867.84K ) Number of downloads: 268

--------------------
My Guitar:
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 24 2007, 12:42 AM
Instructor
Hey Jeffrey!

Don't confuse scales with modes. Ionian is 1st mode of a scale and is actually a scale itself. Aeolian (6th) mode of a major scale is MINOR scale. BUT don't think about modes until you are fully comfortable with major and minor scales. If you need some reading about scales - visit Andrew's Theory lessons. You'll find it all there!

In metal music most used scale is minor and harmonic minor, major is also very present. I also like to play in phrygian scale.

You end up on bluesy things because you use pentatonic scales and especially the bluesy type of bending. Visit my "Metal Solo Licks" lesson and this one:

http://www2.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-gui...iffs3/index.htm

It should give you some idea about how to start with metal solos.

Feel free to ask more! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Pavel: Aug 24 2007, 02:20 AM

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
Jeffrey
Aug 24 2007, 02:08 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 23 2007, 04:42 PM) *
Hey Jeffrey!

Don't confuse scales with modes. Ionian is 1st mode of a scale and is actually a scale itself. Aeolian (5th) mode of a major scale is MINOR scale. BUT don't think about modes until you are fully comfortable with major and minor scales. If you need some reading about scales - visit Andrew's Theory lessons. You'll find it all there!

In metal music most used scale is minor and harmonic minor, major is also very present. I also like to play in phrygian scale.

You end up on bluesy things because you use pentatonic scales and especially the bluesy type of bending. Visit my "Metal Solo Licks" lesson and this one:

It should give you some idea about how to start with metal solos.

Feel free to ask more! smile.gif

I've learned the speed metal riffs one, its not the riffs I have trouble with they come easy to me, its the soloing, I looked at your metal soloing lesson and its pretty hard but i checked it out. I think the reason why it was so hard is because im not familiar with many scales. Also sweeping is really hard to do especially with the tap incorporated in there. I can do speed if I work on it but i guess being familiar with the scales is the most important? Lemme show you a riff I made for my song im creating called The Forsaken. I just kind of make up stuff not knowing what scale its in but as long as it sounds good to me I keep playing=P (I look at the E Aeolian scale and I think this following along with that scale for the most part.

Also when playing I find myself slipping out of scales(the ones I know) and I want it to sound good but I want it to be musically correct=P

Attached File(s)
Attached File  metal_riff1.mp3 ( 902.13K ) Number of downloads: 199

--------------------
My Guitar:
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 24 2007, 02:23 AM
Instructor
The reason i gave you the link to that riffing lesson is because there are lots of licks using minor scale so you can actually practice minor scale and later try to solo over it. The most important thing is being able to sing a minor scale so when you solo you don't think whether it's correct or wrong note you are playing.

That last riffing mp3 sounds fine! Now if you have multi-tracking software you could lay solo over it and upload here, ha?

Most of my practice sessions consist of scales only. major, minor and phrygian+diminished so when it comes to soloing i never think in scales because i already have it in my fingers. You should just start practicing scales, for example - my Ionian Scale (major scale) lesson covers all 7 boxes of the scale and they are at the same time MINOR boxes, but played starting from a different box so if you learn it, you'll be armed with a pretty big gun! smile.gif

Slipping out of scales is the problem of not knowing scale boxes so i suggest you start with learning boxes! smile.gif

Good luck and keep me updated! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Pavel: Aug 24 2007, 02:27 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
besip
Sep 24 2007, 01:17 PM
[quote name='Jeffrey' [/quote]

hey man good job the last rif im totaly beginer but im will like play same style of music+some mettalica ramstain style..if u have something to help me..im will be glad smile.gif

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
besip
Sep 24 2007, 02:19 PM
HI PAVEL cool.gif

hi pavel im know thats not my post but im like music like Jeffrey..firts time u play werry AWSOME for the couple years what u training smile.gif

im just wath your hand control lesson exersize and im like it..im far from that exersice but im wana ask u somethhing with the lesson and next other lesson
1.it,s is everythime recomendet with alternate picking do from downstroke to upstroke...like for example if u moving from hi E string where u made last move downstroke to for example D string so the fisrt touch with D is upstroke

like u still recomedet play if u jumping from 1 string to other picking upstroke then downstroke?

2. when u lay from tabu u all ready know which finger use on every string..but what about me?
do im have some special knowing what kind of finger is right to play on every string or thats no mather??
or the real key is know which scale im all ready play and use the same finger like in the scale??

3.im wana later play some stuff like jefrey..can u recomedet some distorsion pedal...im have now just masrshal 15wcd amp..im like Boss mt2 or digitech df7..or u know some more good stuff??

im start like 3 weaks ago im just fichting with beginer kick scales and power chords rolleyes.gif im have to train betwen 1-2 hour every day and im wana organize the hour smile.gif im also try bending some string like kris but thats sound realy bad..so im not sure if tahts becouse of the overdrive sound or me..probbaly me biggrin.gif

anyway..any ansswer help..and sorry for my english
thanks Rene cool.gif

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
Pavel
Sep 24 2007, 04:20 PM
Instructor
Hey Rene!

1. yes, even on string skipping you should keep Alternate Picking and play upstroke on string change, like in your example.

2. Use the finger which is comfortable. And also you can see how i play it in the video. Thats what videos are for! smile.gif

3. I have Digitech DF-7 and it's awesome distortion pedal so i would stick with it.

Bending is not easy straight from the beginning but as you have just started you will get it down soon. smile.gif

Have fun and enjoy playing! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
besip
Sep 25 2007, 03:31 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Sep 24 2007, 11:20 AM) *
Hey Rene!

Have fun and enjoy playing! smile.gif

so one again ..no change with alternate picking.. no mather which string im play or skip when im start with downstroke..so the alternate never change..even if im skiping from HI E to loW E so if im play on firts exapmle HI E downstroke..so the next move is on LOW E upstroke

and other side is if im play HI E upstroke so the move to LOW E is downstroke

no cjange with picking never? rolleyes.gif

so im glad u recomendet digitech df7 im here some sample on yotubee and he sound good..im like also Boss MT2 but some people say there is no way to play some kind of sound becouse there is to mutch distorsion

so Pavel im like music like trash metal and Jeffrey play also nice style.IM wana to finish the beginer kick..and then what u recomnedet..is good next for me..what kind of scale or lesson from KRIS 101 or your lesson can be best to help me do another kick???

but im not close to lay other music..im like the RIff from gabriel..specilay the Megadeath and Iron maiden..

thank for quick responding to me wink.gif Rene

This post has been edited by besip: Sep 25 2007, 03:32 AM

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
Pavel
Sep 25 2007, 04:08 AM
Instructor
Yeah you got it right! Alternate picking means no change no matter what you are doing! smile.gif

Well, if you want to learn scales than you should try Kris's Alternate Picking lessons.

DF7 is really versatile pedal so you can't go wrong with it! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
besip
Sep 25 2007, 04:56 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Sep 24 2007, 11:08 PM) *
Yeah you got it right! Alternate picking means no change no matter what you are doing! smile.gif
Well, if you want to learn scales than you should try Kris's Alternate Picking lessons.

ok good..understand cool.gif

the problem witm me is im totaly beghiner..and im ficvhting now whith power chord and the basic scale..and when im be don with the whole stuff..im will be nedd some more informaction what is good for style what im wanna play and what not rolleyes.gif ..becouse im dont wana be bored with something what im be dont like..so im be nedd probaaly some help later smile.gif

anyway the solo what u past for jeffrey souns good

so thanks for now for your carring of me and im will contact u probbaly later

thanks pavel cool.gif

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
fkalich
Sep 25 2007, 05:22 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Sep 24 2007, 10:08 PM) *

your metal lessons are top notch Pavel. There is so much good stuff now on this site, I pretty much overlooked these. But now I have listened, and really, for a guy who does not wear a tee shirt with a picture of a blood soaked skull with a hatchet buried in it, you do one heck of a job here. I am adding these to my ever increasing to do list.

edit: spelling

This post has been edited by fkalich: Sep 25 2007, 05:24 AM

+Quote Post
Pavel
Sep 25 2007, 06:05 PM
Instructor
Thanks Fkalich! You noticed that right - in my opinion you don't have to wear black t-shirts with blood or some band's name to be metal. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:40 PM