Left Hand Pain, Pain in the hand
Hajduk
Jul 6 2013, 05:45 PM
Learning Rock Star
I have noticed a few times when practicing especially wide legato runs that the back of my left hand hurts! I stretch and massage my hands before playing and during. Is this a problem for anyone else??

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Tomislav
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 17)
The Professor
Jul 6 2013, 05:46 PM
Theory Instructor
What kind of pain are you feeling? If it is a dull pain it might just be from over working your hand, and some ice and rest will help. But if it's a sharp pain, or pain that continues after you rest for a bit I would really go see a doctor. They'll be able to diagnose it right away and get you the treatment, and a plan of rehab, that will get you back on track sooner than leaving it alone.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Jul 6 2013, 05:51 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks Professor, no its a dull pain and only when I practice more than 2 hours. I usually break my practice up in 10 minute sessions, 10min playing than 5 min rest. Just out of curiosity is that ok to do as far as breaking my practice routine up like that, 10 minutes playing 5 minute rest??

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jul 6 2013, 05:57 PM
Theory Instructor
I usually do 25 mins on and then 5 mins off, or 50 on and 10 off, but it varies and depends on what I'm working on. The more intense the exercise the more breaks I take. I would still suggest having the pain looked at. Better safe than sorry, and if it turns out to just be fatigue or nothing at all, at least you'll know for sure. But if it's the start of something larger, you'll stop it before it has a chance to become a real issue.

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 6 2013, 07:55 PM
Instructor
It's very important do some stretches and massages before you start your routine. Check out this video:

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 6 2013, 08:37 PM
GMC:er
Streching is important and must be practices but I noticed as the student develops, some start to gain a harmful relaxation;

To me your pain is caused by the wrist but felt behind the hand. The wrist should never be in a funny angle+the position of the guitar shouldn't change (neck facing too low, guitar body too far away from your stomach etc...). This can also affect your back if your not in an ideal sitting position, be careful about this while reading notation or tab.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 7 2013, 03:13 PM
Instructor
I always start with massaging my fingers, palms, forearms - just like Mr. Petrucci says smile.gif I will come up with a video for ya guys in which I will show my massage routine before practicing!

and the second one:

If you do this one in full - the whole routine will extend to about 12 minutes - but that's a bit too much, so make about 50 pushes on the 'Extreme warm up' for each hand and it'll be just fine wink.gif

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Jul 9 2013, 12:54 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 7 2013, 04:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 7 2013, 11:13 AM) *
I always start with massaging my fingers, palms, forearms - just like Mr. Petrucci says smile.gif I will come up with a video for ya guys in which I will show my massage routine before practicing!

Cool! Looking forward your video Cosmin! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Jul 7 2013, 06:35 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks all for advice, went to doctor said it was fatigue and my doc is also a guitar player and I told her I like to sit in my recliner a lot when practicing and she said that effects your hand like Mertay had posted its very important how you hold the guitar and making sure its not in a awkward position. Thanks again for advice this forum rocks:) Looking forward to video Cosmin and Thanks Gab for posting that video with Petrucci.

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 8 2013, 02:55 AM
BINGO smile.gif Glad you went to a Doctor!!!

SEATING POSITION IS CRUCIAL:

Having suffered injury and pain from sitting/playing in bad position. I feel your pain sad.gif

*First off, people have various ways of practicing that work well for them. That said.

If you are having pain when practicing for long bits in your recliner. FOR GOD SAKES STOP!!!! There is a reason that classical guitar players sit in "Classical Position". Simple physics. If you are going to sit for an hour or more off and on and play an instrument, you need to be in a position that does not overtly stress the body, the joints, etc.

Try supporting your lower back with some sort of pillow/cushion until your back is straight. I'd say get out of the recliner. Then put your left foot up on something. ( I use a classical guitar foot rest, but a couple of phone books works )

Then put your guitar between your legs (instead of "side sadle on your right leg, which you can do for short bursts or much later once you can play for hours with no discomfort)

In short, I'm suggesting you try proper posture smile.gif

Here is Chris Broderick from Megadeth using pretty much perfect posture playing classical guitar.

And here he is playing electric. Notice now similar his overall approach is.
*Left leg higher than right
*Nice high angle on guitar neck
*guitar in between the legs.

You will get wads of varying advice, so try everything and see what works. I'd suggest trying proper poster sooner rather than later though smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Hajduk @ Jul 7 2013, 01:35 PM) *
Thanks all for advice, went to doctor said it was fatigue and my doc is also a guitar player and I told her I like to sit in my recliner a lot when practicing and she said that effects your hand like Mertay had posted its very important how you hold the guitar and making sure its not in a awkward position. Thanks again for advice this forum rocks:) Looking forward to video Cosmin and Thanks Gab for posting that video with Petrucci.

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Jul 8 2013, 06:15 AM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks Todd smile.gif I actually still have my classical foot rest hanging around going to go find it.

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 8 2013, 07:08 AM
I agree, I'm probably the only guy around my area to advice sitting in the classical guitar position. I also have minor back issue's and this really helps.

The other good thing about that position is its easyer to play standing up when practicing in that position. Have a place prapared for this at home and keep in mind its still easy to play the common position when needed (like playing at friends house, studio etc.)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Jul 8 2013, 07:50 AM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks Mertay

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 8 2013, 10:07 AM
Instructor
Legato is a pretty tough technique - to do nice and clean legato You need to use some strength. I think it always causes some pain after a long runs. It's hard to define where is the breaking point between natural tiredness and the pain caused by wrong position/movements.

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Jul 8 2013, 10:49 AM
I've had pains at various stages during my years of playing but I never went to the doctor. By adjusting my practice routine around what I think is causing the pain and giving that area a' rest' for a few days always solves the issue for me. An example would be to not bend strings if bending strings was the cause of my pain...and carrying on with other forms of practice without bending.

I have also had more serious finger injuries like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mallet_finger and had to stop playing properly for 6 months.... I just played without using that finger After recovery I just gradually started introducing my finger in to practise slowly.
At the moment I think I have a broken middle right hand finger ( it has been swollen for about three months)...but this has just stopped me from finger picking with that particular finger and altering my practise by using a pick 99 per cent of the time.
A lot of these finger hand worries aren't as bad as you might think and can get you worried unnecessarily IMO.

To help me through these periods I just think of Tony Iommi..... A real man....with plastic fingers!! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 8 2013, 11:49 AM
Instructor
Who currently play on 9-42 so Your fingers should be metal than cause of 11-49 biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Jul 8 2013, 12:54 PM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jul 8 2013, 12:49 PM) *
Who currently play on 9-42 so Your fingers should be metal than cause of 11-49 biggrin.gif

Maybe the 'metal' fingers occasionally get bent/damaged because of the heavy strings...its often made me wonder should I get used to lighter strings to lesson injuries..... biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Headbanger: Jul 8 2013, 12:55 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 8 2013, 03:09 PM
Instructor
I remember having pains in my left hand when practicing legato in the beginning, but I knew when it was 'good pain' and 'bad pain' - for me there was this sort of threshold which made me stop before I felt I was reaching it. I started practicing again after 5 minutes of break and never went for too long so that I was not exposing myself to risks - I had no clue what I was doing anyway laugh.gif But gradually, I learned how my body functioned and things got better and better.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 02:12 PM