3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Les Paul Studio, need you guys :)
Marcus Siepen
Mar 28 2010, 06:32 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Seems you are facing the typical problem... "which one should I buy???" Well, being absolutely addicted to Les Pauls I of course can confirm that you definitely have to get at least one wink.gif But about the models... well, I have several models myself, a couple of Studios, a couple of Customs, a couple of Standards, a Classic... and they are all great! Don't underestimate a Studio, the difference compared to the "bigger" models is mostly cosmetics, my Studios really deliver a big sound that is absolutely comparable to the other models. I have to say though that I was told that the newer studios are supposed to be a bit weaker in quality issues, since mine are all older models I can't really say this though. Best thing would be to just try as many as you can get and just pick the one that you like the most, but I am almost sure that you will like them all wink.gif At the Messe in Frankfurt I also just saw a new beauty and fell in love with it immediately, I just sent a mail to the Gibson HQ in Berlin, I hope I can get that one, if yes I'll post some pics wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Mar 28 2010, 07:36 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Mar 28 2010, 10:18 AM) *
I've got a Les Paul studio i bought back in .. 1994? i think.
Not sure if the Studios were made in different specs back then, but it's an awesome, awesome guitar that i should use more often.
In my opinion it sounds as good as and feels the same as the Standards i've tried.

great trond!!, one more point for studios then, have to check em out (my wallet will thank me)

QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Mar 28 2010, 12:32 PM) *
Seems you are facing the typical problem... "which one should I buy???" Well, being absolutely addicted to Les Pauls I of course can confirm that you definitely have to get at least one wink.gif But about the models... well, I have several models myself, a couple of Studios, a couple of Customs, a couple of Standards, a Classic... and they are all great! Don't underestimate a Studio, the difference compared to the "bigger" models is mostly cosmetics, my Studios really deliver a big sound that is absolutely comparable to the other models. I have to say though that I was told that the newer studios are supposed to be a bit weaker in quality issues, since mine are all older models I can't really say this though. Best thing would be to just try as many as you can get and just pick the one that you like the most, but I am almost sure that you will like them all wink.gif At the Messe in Frankfurt I also just saw a new beauty and fell in love with it immediately, I just sent a mail to the Gibson HQ in Berlin, I hope I can get that one, if yes I'll post some pics wink.gif

great, one more point for the studio!, hey that's not fair!! what's that new beauty? ohmy.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Mar 28 2010, 07:52 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
this is an awesome thread about Les Paul guitars. I would like to ask why the big difference in the prices between the studio and the standard?

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 28 2010, 09:19 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (fkalich @ Mar 28 2010, 12:35 AM) *
With as much as you have contributed to this site since near the beginning, I think GMC should buy you a standard, a pretty one like Marcus S. has. The teachers here are super, but nobody has contributed more than you, because there is so much variety in your lessons, and you play so well, clean and with great rhythm. My advice to anyone new here, don't just focus on recent lessons, dig into the older stuff, such as what Gabriel has offered.

QUOTE (audiopaal @ Mar 28 2010, 08:22 AM) *
I agree smile.gif
Gabriel have so many fantastic lessons you don't wanna miss out on!

laugh.gif laugh.gif Thank you guys! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Joruus
Mar 28 2010, 09:45 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Im wanting to buy a Les Paul aswell when i get money together for one.. tongue.gif
Will probly be a studio.
I see they are all around 1000euros in webshops here, but i found this 1 model thats way cheaper..
Its a " Gibson Les paul studio faded WB" is faded a cheaper model? or is this just a nice special price on it?
http://www.feedback.nl/electrische-gitaren...studio-faded-wb
The looks of this one are very different then usuall.. not sure if i like it or not biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear:
Guitars: Ibanez Jem 7vwh, Ibanez RG 350 DX, Gibson Les Paul Studio
Effects: Line 6 PODxt + FBV MKII Express pedal
Amp: Line6 SpiderIII 15

+Quote Post
Skewlbuzz
Mar 28 2010, 10:26 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Joruus @ Mar 28 2010, 10:45 PM) *
Im wanting to buy a Les Paul aswell when i get money together for one.. tongue.gif
Will probly be a studio.
I see they are all around 1000euros in webshops here, but i found this 1 model thats way cheaper..
Its a " Gibson Les paul studio faded WB" is faded a cheaper model? or is this just a nice special price on it?
http://www.feedback.nl/electrische-gitaren...studio-faded-wb
The looks of this one are very different then usuall.. not sure if i like it or not biggrin.gif

The faded is always a bit cheaper.. As far as I know it's only due to the finish.

--------------------

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008
Fender Squier '51

---------------------
Amp(like):
Blackstar Series One 45
Line6 POD Studio UX1
Marshall MG15CDR

---------------------
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
DigiTech Whammy
Z.Vex Fuzz Factory
Dunlop MXR Carbon Copy

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 28 2010, 10:42 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Skewlbuzz @ Mar 28 2010, 10:26 PM) *
The faded is always a bit cheaper.. As far as I know it's only due to the finish.

I like the faded ones tho, they don't have the gloss finish.

I'm not sure if the lacquer has any impact on the tone, but if someone could confirm it, it would be useful information smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Joruus
Mar 28 2010, 11:26 PM
Yeah if its just the looks.. i think it looks good enough to get that one and save 350euro tongue.gif

--------------------
Gear:

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Mar 28 2010, 11:46 PM
Learning Tone Master
The faded Gibsons are chambered - they have hughe air chambers in the body which gives them a totally diffrent sound compared to more massive Studios,Standards... They don't have the typical Gibson Nitro finish (which is really expensive but it let's the wood breathe better). The fadeds only have dyed wood which gives a unique feel when touching the guitar but be carefull the color wears of pretty fast and changes it's intensity on the parts you touch the most (neck, arround the knobs, etc...)

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Joruus
Mar 28 2010, 11:55 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Mar 29 2010, 12:46 AM) *
The faded Gibsons are chambered - they have hughe air chambers in the body which gives them a totally diffrent sound compared to more massive Studios,Standards... They don't have the typical Gibson Nitro finish (which is really expensive but it let's the wood breathe better). The fadeds only have dyed wood which gives a unique feel when touching the guitar but be carefull the color wears of pretty fast and changes it's intensity on the parts you touch the most (neck, arround the knobs, etc...)

Thanks alot!
Thats good to know.. think ill keep saving up for the normal studio.

This post has been edited by Joruus: Mar 29 2010, 04:04 PM

--------------------
Gear:

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 29 2010, 12:07 AM
Instructor
Zakk what do you mean when you say that Nitro lets the wood breathe better. Is that compared to Faded version?

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Mar 29 2010, 12:24 AM
Learning Tone Master
No the fadeds have no coating at all, just some sort of waxing to dye the wood so the wood can breathe freely. On all the guitars with a solid finish there is the problem of sealing off the wood...

A guitar totally coated with a thick layer of laquer keeps the wood from breathing - the wood ages slower, it does not dry out as fast and therefore it takes longer to reach a better resonance. Old guitars sound better because the wood has settled in and with some finishes this takes longer than with others. The nitro finish on Gibson guitars is not very durable and it ages fast but it let's moisture and air through to the wood which helps the guitars to sound better faster (hope that made any sense)

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Mar 29 2010, 12:25 AM

--------------------

Gear:

- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
stratman79
Mar 29 2010, 11:13 AM
Learning Rock Star
OR

Get a Les Paul Kit from Bulldog. (Mahogany Body, maple top, glued neck.... really deal, pretty much exact 58 specs)

http://bulldogbodies.com/index.php

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/bulldogguitarbod...:MEFSX:SELLERID

Get a local Luthier to Spray and put it together. Will cost you less than £1000 all in(I spent about £200 on pickups inc. inc that £1000) and...

Results are pretty good eh!!

Photo doesn't bring out the burst unfortuantly.

This post has been edited by stratman79: Mar 29 2010, 11:14 AM

+Quote Post
Skewlbuzz
Mar 29 2010, 11:19 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (stratman79 @ Mar 29 2010, 12:13 PM) *

But it will never be a Gibson wink.gif

--------------------

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008
Fender Squier '51

---------------------
Amp(like):
Blackstar Series One 45
Line6 POD Studio UX1
Marshall MG15CDR

---------------------
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
DigiTech Whammy
Z.Vex Fuzz Factory
Dunlop MXR Carbon Copy

+Quote Post
Fran
Mar 29 2010, 11:30 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
QUOTE (stratman79 @ Mar 29 2010, 12:13 PM) *

Wow Stratman, that guitar looks gorgeous!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 29 2010, 11:51 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Mar 29 2010, 12:24 AM) *
No the fadeds have no coating at all, just some sort of waxing to dye the wood so the wood can breathe freely. On all the guitars with a solid finish there is the problem of sealing off the wood...

A guitar totally coated with a thick layer of laquer keeps the wood from breathing - the wood ages slower, it does not dry out as fast and therefore it takes longer to reach a better resonance. Old guitars sound better because the wood has settled in and with some finishes this takes longer than with others. The nitro finish on Gibson guitars is not very durable and it ages fast but it let's moisture and air through to the wood which helps the guitars to sound better faster (hope that made any sense)

Sure, you explained it nicely, I appreciate it. I was just a bit confused, thought you are referring the Nitro finish better compared to faded in terms of letting the wood breathe better. Sorry, my mistake smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Mar 29 2010, 12:05 PM
Learning Tone Master
Nah that was my bad, I wasn't comparing the faded to the Nitro finish - I was just mentioning it

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Mar 29 2010, 06:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (stratman79 @ Mar 29 2010, 05:13 AM) *
OR

Get a Les Paul Kit from Bulldog. (Mahogany Body, maple top, glued neck.... really deal, pretty much exact 58 specs)

http://bulldogbodies.com/index.php

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/bulldogguitarbod...:MEFSX:SELLERID

Get a local Luthier to Spray and put it together. Will cost you less than £1000 all in(I spent about £200 on pickups inc. inc that £1000) and...

woa that one looks very good, will check them out when they have some stock again smile.gif
thanks for tips guys, i think i'm saving for CUSTOM biggrin.gif

feel free to hijack the thread anytime, i love to read and learn about guitars, so all questions are allowed smile.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Mar 29 2010, 06:33 PM
Learning Tone Master
Make sure you also try a Custom VOS (Vintage Origninal Spec)
Those are customs made by more vintage specs, what takes them a step above is that they are completely handbuil by the masterbuilders in original Gibson Nashville Custom shop. I would say they are even better than a regular custom but they are also a bit more expensive!

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Mar 29 2010, 07:04 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Argh such price is mind blowing - consider to fit some diamonds in the headstock - it will make it even more beautiful, but tiny bit more expensive! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:44 AM