4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Facebook Or Twitter For Musicians
Taka Perry
Sep 15 2013, 12:07 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hello GMC,

I've been thinking about this for a while, and wanted to know what you guys at GMC think about this. So, Facebook and Twitter are both very popular platforms for musicians, but Facebook is becoming a place where you have to pay for your posts to be seen by everyone. On the other hand, Twitter is more open in the sense that everyone sees your tweet.

I like the open sense of Twitter. I think it's very useful for meeting new people and making connections. I find that Facebook, on the other hand, is a much more closed environment, and it's not really great for meeting new people.

What are your thoughts on this topic?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thefireball
Sep 15 2013, 12:30 AM
Learning Roadie
Yeah, I can see that. I find my Twitter to be rather cluttered though.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Sep 15 2013, 05:17 AM
Learning Rock Star
That's true man. I find that my Twitter feed is mainly links and bad grammar wink.gif

Still, I'm not a fan of the way Facebook is increasingly making people pay for their posts to be seen...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 15 2013, 11:03 AM
Learning Rock Star
I still haven't caught on to the twitter wave as such, even though I have an account. I'm not even sure what the best platform for musicians is these days. I remember back when Myspace was very popular.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 15 2013, 12:35 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
personally, I prefer twitter for keeping up with the bands and musicians that I like. It feels more direct when contacting them and I dont have to go through a wall of banality to find information.
It does seem a bit harsh that FB may not push your posts to everyone who liked your page unless you promote it.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 15 2013, 12:56 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 15 2013, 11:35 AM) *
personally, I prefer twitter for keeping up with the bands and musicians that I like. It feels more direct when contacting them and I dont have to go through a wall of banality to find information.
It does seem a bit harsh that FB may not push your posts to everyone who liked your page unless you promote it.

Sounds harsh but it's tru...the wall of nonsens..."my dog made a poo", "I went for shopping etc"...But that's a bit of a problem of living within musicians and "normal" people at the same time. You have a bunch of You musical news to share...but they...just want to share their ne doggie's poo biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Sep 15 2013, 12:58 PM
GMC:er
Both Facebook and Twitter are Killing Music.

Think about it.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 15 2013, 01:05 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
For me it depends on what and who you're interacting with.

Fans and a general audience Facebook is ok. I don't like Twitter as I find the wall of nonsense annoying and the Spanish Tuenti is no better.

Professionally I pay more attention to LinkedIn and a few very specific music social media sites. I tend to keep my professional audio engineering/studio/producers/A&R contacts on LinkedIn and away from Facebook.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 15 2013, 06:10 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Sep 15 2013, 11:56 AM) *
Sounds harsh but it's tru...the wall of nonsens..."my dog made a poo", "I went for shopping etc"...But that's a bit of a problem of living within musicians and "normal" people at the same time. You have a bunch of You musical news to share...but they...just want to share their ne doggie's poo biggrin.gif

Well, you can choose who's stuff you get to see and who's you don't biggrin.gif

I personally still like Facebook and I pay for campaigns for my band combined with a lot of activity so that people get to see what we re doing. I don't use Twitter at all - maybe I am a dumb dude, but I never caught the vibe... I am still a FB fan and I had good results with it so far - reaching people and transmitting information smile.gif

+Quote Post
thefireball
Sep 15 2013, 06:14 PM
Learning Roadie
I think once my band gets off the ground with our EP our page will pick up.

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Sep 15 2013, 06:26 PM
Learning Rock Star
I found it hard to meet people with this mentality: discover, learn, share and just talk music. I had a Facebook and requested anyone holding a guitar and the end result was about 10 people out of 5000 were worth talking to. The rest was like requests and event invites I would never attend.

I realized that I needed something unique to have a following of some sort. That's when I cancelled that account and reduced my friend list to only those who I want to see and then edited which of those friends I wanted to see information from.

There are guitar groups on Facebook which can be a good way to advertise your music but I think you have to be a regular poster to have full effect or..... Your music is awesome

I did find that I got more out of this site in terms of advice and musical verbiage than any other free platform.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 15 2013, 08:29 PM
Instructor
It's a good question. I think they work for a different type of person.

I've known Twitter to be very good for people with businesses.. but the Twitter thing does hinge on whether these people will talk back or interact with you. I see a lot of people posting everyday with no replies or interaction. However, I have made a few new fans of the band by opening up convos with people but it does require you to bite the bullet and be unafraid of looking like a random tool. tongue.gif

I still find Facebook easier for conversing with people and prefer its layout. However, for bands it is absolute cack these days, unless you pay as Cosmin has mentioned. I find that I'm best off by sharing any band related info on my own profile as I actually have a lot of people who interact with me and things. So if you're personal FB profile has a lot of action, use that to share band stuff.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 16 2013, 07:36 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 15 2013, 07:29 PM) *
I find that I'm best off by sharing any band related info on my own profile as I actually have a lot of people who interact with me and things. So if you're personal FB profile has a lot of action, use that to share band stuff.

Ben is right - I also share the band news and related posts on my profile as well as 80% of the Days of Confusion fans are also FB friends of mine or my band mates' so, in this way, everybody is updated wink.gif

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Sep 16 2013, 08:27 AM
Learning Rock Star
Personally, I've been on Twitter and Facebook for a while, and as quite a few of you said, it is cluttered with links and useless updates (My dog did a poo - haha). I sometimes feel like emotions don't exist on Twitter.
and that stuff wink.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 16 2013, 03:10 AM) *
I personally still like Facebook and I pay for campaigns for my band combined with a lot of activity so that people get to see what we re doing. I don't use Twitter at all - maybe I am a dumb dude, but I never caught the vibe... I am still a FB fan and I had good results with it so far - reaching people and transmitting information smile.gif

Cosmin, what experience have you had with promoting posts? I'm interested in how effective it is, and what kind of posts to promote etc. smile.gif

QUOTE (Jim Seekford @ Sep 16 2013, 03:26 AM) *
I did find that I got more out of this site in terms of advice and musical verbiage than any other free platform.

I totally agree man wink.gif GMC is THE place to be! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Sep 15 2013, 09:58 PM) *
Both Facebook and Twitter are Killing Music.

Think about it.

I can see where you're coming from, but I think as a modern musician, you need be at least semi-active on the internet to 'survive'. smile.gif I will say that sometimes I wish that this internet promotion stuff didn't exist, and we could all focus on music as an art solely. Still, think there's nothing that can be done about it, and being on the internet is a much safer path than deviating from the norm and going offline smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 17 2013, 05:19 AM
Bottom line?

BOTH!!!!!

You really don't want any potential fans to put your name in a search box on whatever service they use and come up empty. The good news is, you can use www.hootsuite.com to post to all of your social media at once smile.gif

It's the secret weapon of running your social media without going nuts. Also, it should go without saying that you need an instagram account. It integrates with facebook (they own it) and has major traction in key demographics.

In short, you need to put yourself everywhere and use tools like hootsuite to make it easier to manage smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Sep 14 2013, 07:07 PM) *
Hello GMC,

I've been thinking about this for a while, and wanted to know what you guys at GMC think about this. So, Facebook and Twitter are both very popular platforms for musicians, but Facebook is becoming a place where you have to pay for your posts to be seen by everyone. On the other hand, Twitter is more open in the sense that everyone sees your tweet.

I like the open sense of Twitter. I think it's very useful for meeting new people and making connections. I find that Facebook, on the other hand, is a much more closed environment, and it's not really great for meeting new people.

What are your thoughts on this topic?

+Quote Post
klasaine
Sep 17 2013, 06:16 AM
My experience with all media to promote art (music/film/literature/poetry/visual/performance/etc.) - new media/mediums and old - is exactly the same ...

If someone likes you the first time they see/hear/experience you - no matter how they got there - they will come to you again if they know where you're gonna be. Twitter, FB, word of mouth or a friggin' poster on a light pole. It doesn't matter. If they dug you they'll come back. Make them like you ... as in actually like you in real life.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Sep 17 2013, 06:17 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 17 2013, 08:16 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Sep 17 2013, 05:16 AM) *
My experience with all media to promote art (music/film/literature/poetry/visual/performance/etc.) - new media/mediums and old - is exactly the same ...

If someone likes you the first time they see/hear/experience you - no matter how they got there - they will come to you again if they know where you're gonna be. Twitter, FB, word of mouth or a friggin' poster on a light pole. It doesn't matter. If they dug you they'll come back. Make them like you ... as in actually like you in real life.

How 'old fashioned' but so true laugh.gif Ain't it? I think that if the product is good and if you use the tools that technology offers, you can get there smile.gif Ken is right - make sure that you put out the best you have out there and the people will come.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 17 2013, 09:13 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 15 2013, 05:10 PM) *
Well, you can choose who's stuff you get to see and who's you don't biggrin.gif

We're simialar at this point (I have no Twitter account too) but You know...filetring Your firends would make You turn-off 3/4 of them biggrin.gif While very often I notice I don't get notifications from people or bands I do interact with and I'm interested in a lot. That's what makes me mad wink.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 17 2013, 10:13 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Sep 17 2013, 08:13 AM) *
We're simialar at this point (I have no Twitter account too) but You know...filetring Your firends would make You turn-off 3/4 of them biggrin.gif While very often I notice I don't get notifications from people or bands I do interact with and I'm interested in a lot. That's what makes me mad wink.gif

There's an option for that biggrin.gif

To turn on notifications for people or Pages you follow:

Go to the Timeline or Page
Click Friends, Following or Liked
Click Get Notifications

When you choose to get notifications, you'll get a notification each time that person or Page posts something you're eligible to see. You can turn off these notifications by unchecking Get Notifications.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 17 2013, 12:38 PM
Learning Rock Star
What are the advantages of various sites for someone like me who's just out to practice and perhaps show off my progress?

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:29 PM