Thumb Picks
Enucleation
May 11 2010, 06:40 PM
GMC:er
There is a song that my band is working on that for one guitar alternates a lot between clean fingerpicking and fast distorted tremolo picking. The other guitarist is having trouble swapping between the two, I suggested that for the clean parts he just toss the pick and have a spare nearby, but he didn't like the idea. We figured it would be best to use a thumb pick for this song but how do you do pinch harmonics with one of those?

Granted, I don't even think there are any pinch harmonics in this song, it would be nice to know how to do this.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
May 14 2010, 12:00 PM
Learning Tone Master
It's always good to know how to put the pick inside your middle finger for switching. Or he could put it in his mouth. I hate thumb picks tongue.gif For harmonics with a thumb pick.. I suppose you'll have to bring your index finger above to barely touch the string. It's how I made my first harmonics tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 14 2010, 10:42 PM
Instructor
Why don't he use hybrid picking?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
May 14 2010, 11:14 PM
Learning Rock Star
Interesting problem to have. Here's what I would do.

For the sake of moving forward with the song during band practice, I would just tell him to toss the stupid pick and have another one handy like you say. There's no point in his perfecting the picking to finger-picking back to picking moves during band practice. The time for him to practice that is at home when no one is looking biggrin.gif

Now, how to do it? I have no idea! smile.gif

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Bluesberry
May 15 2010, 10:08 AM
Learning Roadie
In my opinion, tremolo etc. stuff is pretty challenging with a thumb pick. I think it would take a lot of (wasted) effort to play all the "normal" pick stuff with a thumb pick. I like Ivan's suggestion, also all kinds of pick - no pick -movements are always doable.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:48 AM