9 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 >  
A G/mc Collab!, Fiercesome adrenaline pumping through your veins to the sound of ROCK
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 3 2015, 10:21 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 2 2015, 11:54 PM) *
It's just been ages since I worked on my vibrato, but it's something I'd definitely like to work on. The way I think about it is pretty much this:

I'm just not very good at it, mind you.

This video explains it well.

The reason I suggested this is because I think you have the bending skills needed to do this:

what if you just think of vibrato here as bending a half step up and down with eighth note timing

And it should sound better than what you are doing currently vibrato-wise, because the vibrato in your take almost has no depth - so we can't really hear it. To me it it rather makes the note sound unstable and slightly out of tune.

But if you think of it as a half step bend, there will be plenty of "depth". And it will sound like you meant to do a vibrato.

Does it make sense?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 3 2015, 03:51 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 3 2015, 11:21 AM) *
This video explains it well.

The reason I suggested this is because I think you have the bending skills needed to do this:

And it should sound better than what you are doing currently vibrato-wise, because the vibrato in your take almost has no depth - so we can't really hear it. To me it it rather makes the note sound unstable and slightly out of tune.

But if you think of it as a half step bend, there will be plenty of "depth". And it will sound like you meant to do a vibrato.

Does it make sense?

It's funny, cause if I solo without a backing track I tend to do quite wide vibrato I feel, but I definitely hear what you mean when in a context of a backing track. I'll try and work on it smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Feb 3 2015, 03:52 PM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 3 2015, 09:48 PM
GMC Founder
Deadline is approaching. Any more takes?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 3 2015, 10:29 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
OK, this is the first time I've been on this since the last time, had so much going on lately. As time is short I kept the original and added near the end. Hope it's ok to do this. I've only managed ten minutes tonight but will work hard tomorrow if you can guide me.

[attachment=40778:AGMC_col...03022015.wav]

[attachment=40779:AGMC_col...03022015.wav]

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 4 2015, 09:33 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 3 2015, 10:29 PM) *
OK, this is the first time I've been on this since the last time, had so much going on lately. As time is short I kept the original and added near the end. Hope it's ok to do this. I've only managed ten minutes tonight but will work hard tomorrow if you can guide me.

[attachment=40778:AGMC_col...03022015.wav]

[attachment=40779:AGMC_col...03022015.wav]

Cheers

Phil

Thanks Phil the ending is improved indeed.

If you want to further improve your take - then at this stage the best advice I can give to you is to rehearse the entire solo as much as you possibly can.

Because I can hear that the parts you are comfortable with sound good - so this is a clear indication you just need more time.

If possible, I would suggest you practice playing over the backing track with full concentration for ~20 minutes. Then take a break for ~10 minutes.

During this break you can either do something completely different, or practice some technique related thing (for example a tricky lick from your take etc) - but the point is that you should not use your brainpower during the break.

When you come back after the break, practice the solo again with full attention for another 20 minutes. Make it sound as good as possible.

I have found that such practice is most effective for me. And actually 1 hour with this kind of practicing is more effective than 2 hours where I push myself, even though my brain looses focus.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 4 2015, 09:47 AM
Thank you Kristofer,

I will try what you said, the problem is most of it was completely improvised and I can't remember exactly what I did and my ear isn't good enough to work it out rolleyes.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 4 2015, 09:48 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 4 2015, 09:47 AM) *
Thank you Kristofer,

I will try what you said, the problem is most of it was completely improvised and I can't remember exactly what I did and my ear isn't good enough to work it out rolleyes.gif

Cheers

Phil

That is fine as well. Then you should apply the same kind of practicing (described above) but with improvisation. This can be very fun!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 4 2015, 10:10 PM
Oh dear,

This evening I just can't get anything anywhere near my last take, I'm just playing monotonous junk rolleyes.gif I'm even struggling to play my last take as it was completely improvised and I can't remember or work out some of the parts sad.gif

Sorry.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Feb 5 2015, 09:21 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Vinman56
Feb 5 2015, 04:20 AM
Learning Rock Star
idk if this is too late but here is my final take. hope you like it

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Colab_Final_mix.m4a ( 563.78K ) Number of downloads: 121
Attached File  Colab_Final_Guitar_Only_mix.m4a ( 554.7K ) Number of downloads: 98

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 5 2015, 10:05 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Vinman56 @ Feb 5 2015, 04:20 AM) *
idk if this is too late but here is my final take. hope you like it

Very cool, your takes have evolved into something really good.

And I am big sucker for those staccato notes you throw in throughout the take (I assume you do it by muting the notes shortly after pick strike with your right hand thumb, and/or depressing with fretting hand finger), they make the whole thing groove and clearly shows you're in control.

When you have reached this level of control, you can start playing behind the beat and make it sound really cool and intentional.

As for improvements - the fast passage and bent note at 00:33 feels a little thin and lacks sustain. However this could partly be because of the sound / recording quality. No need to fix anything at this stage though, you have done a fantastic job. Congratulations!

----

Any more takes anyone? Today is the last day!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Procyon
Feb 5 2015, 08:05 PM
GMC:er
Here is my final take - finally! I really wasn't sure if I would be able to record this without loosing my hair (or my mind or something else...). There were always some heavy crackling noises in my recordings - so I deleted the actual take and tried again endlessly - I think I dit it some thousand times (at least it felt like this...) but it was getting even worse! mad.gif
So before smashing my gear thru the window I luckily decided to export one take and listened to it using my other headphones - and magically all the noise has gone! smile.gif dry.gif Hmmmmm - it may not be the best version now, but at least I have one! biggrin.gif

@Vinman56: Your take is awesome!

This post has been edited by Procyon: Feb 5 2015, 08:17 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  acdcCollabProcyonFull.wav ( 7MB ) Number of downloads: 173
Attached File  acdcCollabProcyonSolo.wav ( 7MB ) Number of downloads: 88

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 5 2015, 09:28 PM
Ok here is my final attempt, the deadline is here. Been tricky but fun, thanks biggrin.gif

[attachment=40807:AGMC_col...05022015.wav]

[attachment=40808:AGMC_col...05022015.wav]

Not the best I know but it's a fast one for me.

Cheers folks.

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Feb 5 2015, 09:50 PM
Ok, here's mine. It's a bit 'relaxed' in places!!
wink.gif

https://soundcloud.com/neilwaller/acdc
https://soundcloud.com/neilwaller/acdc-nbt

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 5 2015, 11:48 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Procyon @ Feb 5 2015, 08:05 PM) *
Here is my final take - finally! I really wasn't sure if I would be able to record this without loosing my hair (or my mind or something else...). There were always some heavy crackling noises in my recordings - so I deleted the actual take and tried again endlessly - I think I dit it some thousand times (at least it felt like this...) but it was getting even worse! mad.gif
So before smashing my gear thru the window I luckily decided to export one take and listened to it using my other headphones - and magically all the noise has gone! smile.gif dry.gif Hmmmmm - it may not be the best version now, but at least I have one! biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif Wow nothing much I can say here, but BRAVO! This is like a showpiece, they way you throw rhrythms around in a groovy and unpredictable manner, blend staccato with sustained notes, double stop melodies, your Garage Band (!!) tone, and noisy rock 'n roll ending...just wow!

Some incredible takes in this collab cool.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 5 2015, 09:28 PM) *
Ok here is my final attempt, the deadline is here. Been tricky but fun, thanks biggrin.gif

[attachment=40807:AGMC_col...05022015.wav]

[attachment=40808:AGMC_col...05022015.wav]

Not the best I know but it's a fast one for me.

Cheers folks.

Phil

Thanks Phil. For every take in this collab it got better - and the level to start with was already good. So you can be proud of what you did here.

As mentioned earlier, I can tell you are able to fix mistakes and improve by yourself - so you "just" need to find whatever inspires you to play as much as possible, and you are guaranteed to go in the right direction! cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 5 2015, 11:52 PM
Thank you Kris, or do you prefer Kristofer?,
I have only done two collabs but I think they really help to understand musicality.
Cheers
Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Vinman56
Feb 5 2015, 11:57 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Procyon @ Feb 5 2015, 07:05 PM) *

Thx man i appreciate it. This is my first colab. its cool to hear how many different ideas and rythyms people can hear out of the same backing track. youre take has a very different feel from mine but rocks all the same. awesome job! cant wait to hear the final outcome of this colab

...btw i feel you on the frustration. it took me abut 100 times last night to nail it and i still think it could be a little better. luckily it was a rock collab so you can take your anger out on the solo. if this was a smooth jazz theme forget about it. i had no chance lol

This post has been edited by Vinman56: Feb 5 2015, 11:59 PM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 6 2015, 12:16 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Feb 5 2015, 09:50 PM) *

Very nice! Relaxation didn't bother me here, on the contrary - I would probably have included some "less busy" sections, as you were constantly hitting it.

However the solo construction is good and you take us from point A to point B, and I can tell you are comfortable in this genre. I definitely got Angus vibes! biggrin.gif

If you had submitted your take earlier I would have encouraged you to work more on the section around ~00:28 - since the theme starts to get repetitive here. This is no real biggie though, and your take will sound cool in the final medley.

Also, your guitar is mixed a bit loud - so when we'll adjust levels in the final mix it will further improve your take.

All in all - very well done!

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 5 2015, 11:52 PM) *
Thank you Kris, or do you prefer Kristofer?,
I have only done two collabs but I think they really help to understand musicality.
Cheers
Phil

Either is fine but I prefer Kris! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 6 2015, 12:47 AM
Learning Rock Star
By the way, Kris, it's been great seeing you very active in this collab, and it's been a pleasure receiving comments from you along the way smile.gif I'm sure everyone else feels the same way!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Feb 6 2015, 01:30 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 6 2015, 12:16 AM) *
Very nice! Relaxation didn't bother me here, on the contrary - I would probably have included some "less busy" sections, as you were constantly hitting it.

However the solo construction is good and you take us from point A to point B, and I can tell you are comfortable in this genre. I definitely got Angus vibes! biggrin.gif

If you had submitted your take earlier I would have encouraged you to work more on the section around ~00:28 - since the theme starts to get repetitive here. This is no real biggie though, and your take will sound cool in the final medley.

Also, your guitar is mixed a bit loud - so when we'll adjust levels in the final mix it will further improve your take.

All in all - very well done!

Thanks Kris, I would have liked to tighten it up (only a little bit) and I did have a Pull-off lick, think Thunderstruck, but couldn't get the placement right. It always came out sounding like it was a separate pert from the rest of the ideas.

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 6 2015, 12:47 AM) *
By the way, Kris, it's been great seeing you very active in this collab, and it's been a pleasure receiving comments from you along the way smile.gif I'm sure everyone else feels the same way!

Couldn't agree more!!
smile.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Procyon
Feb 6 2015, 02:16 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 5 2015, 11:48 PM) *
biggrin.gif Wow nothing much I can say here, but BRAVO! This is like a showpiece, they way you throw rhrythms around in a groovy and unpredictable manner, blend staccato with sustained notes, double stop melodies, your Garage Band (!!) tone, and noisy rock 'n roll ending...just wow!

Thanks a lot, Kris! This collab was great fun and your well-founded comments on all the different takes are sooo helpful and inspiring. Especially for someone like me who never took one single guitar lesson this is absolutely priceless - you are a great teacher!

QUOTE (Vinman56 @ Feb 5 2015, 11:57 PM) *
...btw i feel you on the frustration. it took me abut 100 times last night to nail it and i still think it could be a little better. luckily it was a rock collab so you can take your anger out on the solo. if this was a smooth jazz theme forget about it. i had no chance lol

Haha - yes! Sometimes anger is quite helpful to play hardrock laugh.gif

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 6 2015, 12:47 AM) *

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Feb 6 2015, 01:30 PM) *
Couldn't agree more!!
smile.gif

So do I (see my comment above)! smile.gif

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:48 AM