8 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Announcement : Behavior Towards Instructors, All members should read this
Enucleation
Jan 6 2009, 10:59 AM
GMC:er
You know what I think? I think this whole community is lame! None of you can play guitar to save your life, especially that Muris dude... that guy sucks.

Your all jerks and should have your fingers broken so you cant play guitar!!!

tongue.gif I love you guys tongue.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Enucleation: Jan 6 2009, 11:00 AM

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 6 2009, 11:09 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Enucleation @ Jan 6 2009, 10:59 AM) *
None of you can play guitar to save your life, especially that Muris dude... that guy sucks.

Are you talking to me??You talking to me?? (DeNiro's voice) laugh.gif laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Canis
Jan 6 2009, 11:37 AM
Learning Rock Star
I haven't seen much bad stuff going on here, and I guess that's due to some kind of unearthly (I like that word) balance between good and bad, where "bad" has been substituded by "badassery guitarism" tongue.gif

This is such a great community! I love beeing here, and you're all stuck with me for as long as the Internet exists ^^

--------------------

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Jan 6 2009, 11:38 AM
I agree that this should be a rule, but I'm afraid that GMC is very capable of having censorship. Sometimes I'm on here and it's like I'm taking a walk through a communistic country. Loads of times things are wrong, but nobody is allowed to say it (well they are, but they have to post 100s of smile.gif in there to make it 'constructive') or else they get banned. That's just my 5 eurocents.

I love GMC though, but I can see a storm coming. What's feedback without honesty? I'd say worthless.

(Oh and I hope that this isn't one of the messages that have to be removed. Sorry if it is!)

--------------------
Wishlist: the world.

+Quote Post
Boson
Jan 6 2009, 11:45 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I have just come across this thread and hope that as a relatively new member I am entitled to comment.

I value the friendly and supportive atmosphere of GMC. That is one of the reasons I was happy to pay hard earned cash for it. I also value the high quality of the instructors lessons and it is fantastic that you can actually contact the actual instructor who in my experience have never failed to be friendly, helpful or supportive.

This discussion has rumbled on for quite some time and it is clear that the majority of the membership support the behaviour guidelines outlined by Andrew. We all wish to be part of a friendly community and learn guitar as best we can in a supportive atmosphere. So the bottom line is simple, the GMC staff must simply enforce the rules we all agree are acceptable. Rudeness and bad manners have no place here. If this means banning some members who find this behaviour code difficult then so be it.

This does not prevent discussion or even disagreement, in fact it encourages it as everyone can feel free to have their say safe in the knowledge that it should not result in a tirade of abuse.

Hope this makes sense. Lets get on with playing guitar.

--------------------
"Better to live one day as a tiger than a thousand years as a sheep"

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Jan 6 2009, 11:48 AM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Well there is some truth in what SonofDestiny is talking. But I regard is as the "west world syndrome". I was on a miniature painting forum, where no matter how the mini was painted, all the comments were "superb-like". In fact it was always a hard thing to write something constructive without being regarded as impolite.

So the rule for me is - be nice, if You have something negative to say, don't say anything... Not 100% what I think it should be, but it isn't a high price for maintaining the world class GMC "climate":P

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 6 2009, 11:54 AM
QUOTE (Enucleation @ Jan 6 2009, 09:59 AM) *
You know what I think? I think this whole community is lame! None of you can play guitar to save your life, especially that Muris dude... that guy sucks.

You're all jerks and should have your fingers broken so you can't play guitar!!!

tongue.gif I'm afraid I have to mark you down on this message of hate. Only 8/10 laugh.gif

I hate abusive places. It's like me and my mates were out and about the other day and these people were acting like idiots to us so my mates said to shout abuse at them and I just screamed ABBBBBBBBUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. They wet themselves. biggrin.gif Humour and Intelligence are much better than Abuse and Idiocy.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Jan 6 2009, 12:00 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (SonofDestiny @ Jan 6 2009, 05:38 AM) *
I agree that this should be a rule, but I'm afraid that GMC is very capable of having censorship. Sometimes I'm on here and it's like I'm taking a walk through a communistic country. Loads of times things are wrong, but nobody is allowed to say it (well they are, but they have to post 100s of smile.gif in there to make it 'constructive') or else they get banned. That's just my 5 eurocents.

I love GMC though, but I can see a storm coming. What's feedback without honesty? I'd say worthless.

(Oh and I hope that this isn't one of the messages that have to be removed. Sorry if it is!)

I agree to a point, although i don't know what posts in general are being talked about there is always a way to give constructive feedback, as long as you take the time to say what you mean. It is very different giving constructive criticism in writing, than face to face. You have to be extra careful about the words you choose so that the meaning is not misunderstood. Hard?...sometimes...but worth it in my opinion

Daniel

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Jan 6 2009, 12:10 PM
Yes, you are right in that Daniel, but touching people with silk handshoes will not cause them to get anxious to improve. I always thought my vibrato was cool, until somebody put it straight and told me it was [insert bad smelly word in here].

I am a very sensitive person. I even cried once when somebody was really harsh about my playing! But that gave me reason to improve. I wasn't doing all I could. I'm still not doing all I can. I need to be faced with the facts. And I'm willing to be hurt in exchange for improvement.

Of course, playing the guitar isn't like being in the Navy and I understand that, but constructive criticism on GMC is more like 'wow this is good, this is good, this is awesome, this is brilliant, woooow great phrasing, you could maybe try to improve this a little but that is just subjective I mean it's awesome but you could maybe try to work on that a little'. Do you see what I'm saying? Silk handshoes..

Obviously I'm exaggerating a bit there, but it comes VERY close in my opinion and I think it's a shame!

This post has been edited by SonofDestiny: Jan 6 2009, 12:14 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 6 2009, 12:15 PM
QUOTE (SonofDestiny @ Jan 6 2009, 11:10 AM) *
Yes, you are right in that Daniel, but touching people with silk handshoes will not cause them to get anxious to improve. I always thought my vibrato was cool, until somebody put it straight and told me it was [insert bad smelly word in here].

I am a very sensitive person. I even cried once when somebody was really harsh about my playing! But that gave me reason to improve. I wasn't doing all I could. I'm still not doing all I can. I need to be faced with the facts. And I'm willing to be hurt in exchange for improvement.

Of course, playing the guitar isn't like being in the Navy and I understand that, but constructive criticism on GMC is more like 'wow this is good, this is good, this is awesome, this is brilliant, woooow great phrasing, you could maybe try to improve this a little but that is just subjective I mean it's awesome but you could maybe try to work on that a little'. Do you see what I'm saying? Silk handshoes..

I must admit I like being told exactly how it is. I'd rather know my bad parts truthfully than have them covered up with people trying to be nice. You can be honest without being nasty. Like if I said to you say I liked your melody ideas in the solo but they were a bit sloppy and if you practiced the lines with a metronome you could have a really great solo completed. So this is saying yeah your ideas are good but your playing needs to catch up that little bit with your ideas.

That isn't being nasty and that's exactly what I want to hear. It's a whole world away from just saying to somebody they suck and should just give up with guitar.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
Enucleation
Jan 6 2009, 12:18 PM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Jan 6 2009, 05:54 AM) *
tongue.gif I'm afraid I have to mark you down on this message of hate. Only 8/10 laugh.gif

I hate abusive places. It's like me and my mates were out and about the other day and these people were acting like idiots to us so my mates said to shout abuse at them and I just screamed ABBBBBBBBUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. They wet themselves. biggrin.gif Humour and Intelligence are much better than Abuse and Idiocy.

laugh.gif Awesome man. Yeah my grammar is hideous.

As far as SonofDestiny's comment. I' say it holds water but I don't think it is a big deal. I think you can get the same improvement from someone being polite about your problems as someone being rude.

Edit: I suppose I'd like to be told how to improve but let's not turn this into youtube with the whole "Give up at life" attitude tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Enucleation: Jan 6 2009, 12:20 PM

--------------------
Gear
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
Line 6 Spider Valve
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Jan 6 2009, 12:22 PM
Yeah, but most of the time you don't get an alarm bell ringing when reading feedback. It's like: well, you can improve it, but if you don't you still rock. That's my main point smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 6 2009, 12:22 PM
QUOTE (Enucleation @ Jan 6 2009, 11:18 AM) *
As far as SonofDestiny's comment. I' say it holds water but I don't think it is a big deal. I think you can get the same improvement from someone being polite about your problems as someone being rude.

Edit: I suppose I'd like to be told how to improve but let's not turn this into youtube with the whole "Give up at life" attitude tongue.gif

I think what he means is people are scared of giving constructive criticism. So people are afraid to say your vibrato isn't so good and it's letting you down. If you add more vibrato in to your playing it will add more feeling to your melodic lines. That isn't being rude that is just trying to help. I think that is what he means. I don't think this place will ever be as bad as youtube lol.

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
utak3r
Jan 6 2009, 12:25 PM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Jan 6 2009, 12:15 PM) *
That isn't being nasty and that's exactly what I want to hear. It's a whole world away from just saying to somebody they suck and should just give up with guitar.

True.
To be honest I'm here just for hearing things like this, so I can improve. The key to a problem is a capability of constructive criticism... Saying just your soloing s**cks won't help you at all. But pointing for example timing or bending or whatever - yeah, it's helpful.

--------------------
Machines don't bleed that easily...
utak3r.pl

+Quote Post
Enucleation
Jan 6 2009, 12:28 PM
QUOTE (utak3r @ Jan 6 2009, 06:25 AM) *
True.
To be honest I'm here just for hearing things like this, so I can improve. The key to a problem is a capability of constructive criticism... Saying just your soloing s**cks won't help you at all. But pointing for example timing or bending or whatever - yeah, it's helpful

Exactly. Telling someone what the problem is so we can fix it why everyone is here right? I don't know if I've ever really seen it to be a big problem here.

--------------------
Gear
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
Line 6 Spider Valve
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 6 2009, 12:28 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (SonofDestiny @ Jan 6 2009, 01:38 PM) *

So GMC is communistic because the only way you can say what you want - is to use smileys?

To me that sounds like the definition of a perfect democracy!

A little reminder - communism deported people because there was a suspicion that - maybe - they thought differently.

Wait I forgot to use a smiley... biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jan 6 2009, 12:29 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Jan 6 2009, 11:15 AM) *
You can be honest without being nasty.

spot on, it doesnt take a great deal of thought to point someone in the right direction.

I cant see any gain in telling someone "man, your vibrato sucks big time!" and leaving it at that.

you can be told that with just a slight change of words, "if you work on your vibrato it`ll sound a lot better, at the moment its a little weak"

if you want to be extra helpful you could find (or you may know of one) a lesson on GMC that is vibrato specific.

more often than not, the same comment can come up several times in the feedback, thats a pretty good sign that yea, you gotta work on your vibrato! and have you been offended? chances are probably not.

I dont agree with the "man, that sucks" approach, personally it wouldnt bother me too much, but it opens up a can of worms, and the forum in general would disintegrate into a place that wouldnt be very pleasant to post uploads or anything in general, just take a look at youtube etc, no thanks

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Enucleation
Jan 6 2009, 12:31 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 6 2009, 06:28 AM) *
A little reminder - communism deported people because there was a suspicion that - maybe - they thought differently.

Wait I forgot to use a smiley... biggrin.gif

Dude that's cold laugh.gif

--------------------
Gear
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
Line 6 Spider Valve
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post
Bondy
Jan 6 2009, 12:37 PM
Learning Roadie
I was on a Marshall forum the other day and a senior member!!! was f-ing and blinding at this poor bloke just because he wanted to get his SRV sound spot on, It was awful and reminded me how good the GMC forum is and why i love it so much; you dont have to put up with that sort of abuse here.

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jan 6 2009, 12:44 PM
QUOTE (SonofDestiny @ Jan 6 2009, 05:38 AM) *

I read you. I pretty much just take the advice of the Beehive anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8F7_35LQg4

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jan 6 2009, 12:45 PM

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:47 AM