> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Metal Essentials - Riffs #3, Lesson By Darius Wave
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
6 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
7 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

Siinthd
May 26 2020, 07:34 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Original lesson: Metal Essentials - Riffs #3 by Darius Wave

I chose this lesson because of the verse riff.I wanted to learn it for a long time))

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 27 2020, 08:57 AM
GMC Founder
Tuning issues here are not as bad - but still does not feel right. Please see your other REC take for more comments: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=61007

Your technique looks relaxed and in control.

For this kind of music tightness is everything - and you could def step up a level here. Especially the fast section we can hear your notes are not "glued" to the drums as they should be.

Because of the tuning it is hard for me to truly enjoy your take, so I will give you a 5. However I do think your technique is very promising and you have potential to record a good take of this lesson.

Keep up the hard work!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 27 2020, 05:30 PM
Instructor
Hi mate!

I think that Kris is right about tuning and precision issues. The slower sections are not bad (timing), but the fast section (starting at 00:32) is not sounding tight.

I notice that your hands are relaxed but, once that you can play the parts tight, I would like to see more aggression in your picking, as the style requires.

Keep on the hard work!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 28 2020, 12:25 AM
GMC:er
I expected to see much more aggression but its almost as if you are holding back a bit? I remember see much more aggression in BOOTCAMP!! Speaking of, I miss you in Bootcamp! You were doing great! This is not some of your best playing IMHO, I think you are capable of much more. I'd like to see you back in bootcamp working up your aggressive style!!! For this one I'd say a 5.

On a brighter note I dig the Metallic tone you are getting here. What are you using for your guitar plugin? I think what we are all responding to is that when the piece starts to speed up, and does a sort of "Meshuggah" think, the strikes have to be spot on the bass drum or the entire thing feels sorta soft and unaggressive. Also, in the faster part, leaning in to the strikes with a bit more power would give it a bit more aggression. Not tensing up and picking from the elbow, but a bit harder strikes that sound like you are getting in to the sound. I"m all about keeping the hand relaxed when possible, but sometimes a song calls for a bit more attack and a bit of musical violence. I hope this makes sense?

Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 28 2020, 08:30 PM

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
May 29 2020, 02:53 PM
Instructor
Hey there!

Great to see you working over my lesson. I can here you got great tone match - well done.

There is one critical mistake you did, before we even start to analyze your playing. You took wrong backing version. You used extension for players who have their guitar tuned to B Standard or simply for 7 string players. Your guitar is tuned to C# Standard which is correct for this lesson but you should have been taken the "135bpm" track.

Now about the playing:

I like your mechanics of both hands. Right hand is "open" and relaxed when needed. Left hand stays flattened for better muting job. You also avoid to make unnecessary movements that could cause some scratching etc. Still there are spots where you are not 100% accurate in double tracking - we can here soem random cracking or timing issues between channels. Remember that not only a start of a note metters. You need to establish when each note ends and how (hand rest etc) to make both guitar tracks sound the same at any point.

You are clearly better timing and muting wise at the first part. Further is starts to get a little of whiel still kept within margin of tolerance.

Unfortunately the dissonacne between backign track and guitar makes impossible to verify soem other aspects. Be careful next time smile.gif

+Quote Post
Fran
Jun 9 2020, 06:47 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 6

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 01:09 PM