Teaching Other People, asking for ideas
Chris-triff
May 30 2008, 01:46 AM
GMC:er
hi there gmc people

today two friends of mine asked me if i could give them some guitar classes i told the that gmc exists and its wonderful but they said that the havent interner nor guitar to practice on (not sure abuat grammar on last line)
so they wanted me to theach them a little, so they could see if they like to play guitar, to see if they buy a guitar or not
i think its a great idea because i could earn some money for each class ( not much ) and it can be helpful for me to.

so i was thinkig and planning what to theach then in the first classes
so here is what i need form you:

ideas of what i can theach them so they dont get bored or frustrated about their playing (they are complete beginners both of them)
if you have any ideas tell me

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Music, Music is life man.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nick325
May 30 2008, 02:02 AM
maybe a song they want to learn or a cool riff becuase you dont want to start them with scales and theory stuff right away becuase then they will get bored and wont like it

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ctodd
May 30 2008, 02:03 AM
I don't know what kind of music they're interested in but I remember i started out with intros to a few songs like

Good Riddance (time of your life)- Green day

Smoke on the water

Iron Man

Seven Nation army

Enter Sandman

these are all songs with very simple intros and from there i went on to learn scales and such

--------------------
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Feb 5 2009, 03:41 AM) *
When you hear something that you really like, take guitar and kill the beast.

+Quote Post
Casper
May 30 2008, 05:32 AM
QUOTE (Nick325 @ May 29 2008, 06:02 PM) *
maybe a song they want to learn or a cool riff becuase you dont want to start them with scales and theory stuff right away becuase then they will get bored and wont like it

haha thats true i remeber the only guitar lesson i ever had was witht his old woman and she was tryin gto teach me your major chords and as a reward she'd teach me how to play the spider man theme. never had another lesson since then till I joined GMC.

--------------------
Guitars:EsP-LtD F-2E, Jackson King V, Fender Strat

MFX: Pandora PX5D, Zoom 505. Sennheiser HD25 mk II Headphones

Blown Amp :(

+Quote Post
BollyRotten
May 30 2008, 12:03 PM
Teach basic chords like C G & D
tons of songs written with just those 3, if they are complete beginners then they will find it all a bit hard to start with.
Knocking on Heavens Door. is G , D Am, G , D , C All easy stuff.

Maybe the base line for The White Stripes & nation Army, People Love that one and its simple

yeahman!!

--------------------
I need more fingers!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 30 2008, 12:20 PM
Instructor
For first lesson definitely recommend explaining them what guitar is, parts of it and how it works. Then teach them a very cool and famous riff, like smoke on the water, or something more modern, depending what they like. Also for the first class explain to them that they need to know chords to be able to play songs and that they are easy to learn. Show them first the easiest chords - Em, then Am, C and G. Explain that they will be able to play a bunch of songs with it.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 30 2008, 12:33 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Also explaining basically how notes are distributed on neck will be a good idea too smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
May 30 2008, 12:44 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
I`d go the same as Bollyrotten suggested, some easy chord shapes to begin with, for the first couple of lessons I wouldnt go into too much depth as you could put them off with too much technical talk, you gotta keep it fun and interesting, Knocking on Heavens Door is a good starter, I`ve only given a couple of people a few pointer 1 on 1 lessons in the past and I always stress the importance of practice, without them going away and practicing what you are teaching them then theres not a lot of point in the first place.

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
May 30 2008, 03:29 PM
Instructor
I always try to at first show the student a piece or two of a song (the easiest parts offcourse) he really likes. That usually always ignites more interest. I've had more luck that way instead of first showing basic chords and similar.

If the student is able to play something thats part of a good song and is able to connect what he's playing with one of his favourite songs, even if it just consists of 2-3 notes, that will make him/her more inspired to learn more chords and whatnot.
This approach has atleast in my experience given me good results on those i've taught.

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: May 30 2008, 03:31 PM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
May 30 2008, 03:32 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (BollyRotten @ May 30 2008, 01:03 PM) *
Teach basic chords like C G & D
tons of songs written with just those 3, if they are complete beginners then they will find it all a bit hard to start with.
Knocking on Heavens Door. is G , D Am, G , D , C All easy stuff.

Maybe the base line for The White Stripes & nation Army, People Love that one and its simple

yeahman!!

This is a good suggestion!

teach them some basic chords and some easy songs to go with them smile.gif
That should make them feel like they're going somewhere with their practice, and make them wanna learn more later on smile.gif

+Quote Post
Chris-triff
Jun 1 2008, 01:13 AM
yeah
thanks to all of you
its a good idea to learn then chords at the begining im going to do that i guess
the problem is that they want to jump into electric guitar at the begining and
i think its best to begin with the acustic isnt it?
well iguess it isnt a big problem.
thanks

--------------------
Music, Music is life man.

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Jun 1 2008, 12:50 PM
Singing Instructor
I agree,chords,basic riffs and famous songs are good start,and for the learning part of it all, and for the thing to make them interested in to a guitar playing.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Martin la guitar...
Jun 1 2008, 12:54 PM
twist and shout - main riff - beatles. Easy, but still effective.

http://www.freelicks.net/Twist_n_shout1.htm

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Jun 1 2008, 05:17 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I would also start with some easy chords and then a riff from a song they love. If they see that with a little practice they can play this riff it will encourage them to go on.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 1 2008, 10:02 PM
Instructor
Twist and shout is a cool suggestion, also some songs that have only two chords are ideal for beginners! THey really boost self confidence! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Jun 1 2008, 10:19 PM
Instructor
you can start first with giving informations about guitar
and the strings then to start with the usual exercise to move fingers
on the fret board. but you have to be patient .this is important factor to be a good teacher

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:24 PM