2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Farine54's Bootcamp!, Prepare For Glorious Purpose
Todd Simpson
Sep 12 2021, 07:24 PM
GMC:er
Welcome to SHRED BOOTCAMP! I'll be your Drill Instructor! And I do mean DRILL! As in a large power tool used in slasher films and Paul Gilbert concerts. Here is were you EARN THE LIVING DEATH out of your fingers and break through any speed bumps/barriers to become a MASTER CHIEF of Shred!
QUICK TIPS TO PREPARE YOU FOR BATTLE
*Make sure you get both hands in the shot when shooting your video*Make sure you use a metronome for the first several Missions and that the metronome can be heard.*After you complete a mission, shoot me a PM and let me know it's ready and I'll give you a debrief! These are pass / fail, so if you pass you BADGE UP and if not, I'll give you some feedback and you head in to the breach once again.
*The first several missions are VERY simple. They are just to get you used to the bootcamp process.
*Most importantly, there is NEVER a speed requirement in bootcamp. I want you to push yourself to play as brisk as you can, but NEVER at the expense of precision. If you find you are missing a note here and there, slow down a bit. Speed is just a byproduct of precision so my goal is to make you a very precise player. At that point, speed just happens.
MISSON #1

THE MISSION

1.)Your mission is to go all the way back to the very start. The base of the mountain.

LESSON 1. http://bitly.com/gmclesson1

Which you will play SUPER PERFECT!. Speed it up bit by bit until you feel your ready to take it to WAR (Any speed, it's up to you, no points for speed, only points for playing in a precise manner as speed is simply a byproduct of precision) Shoot a video and post it as a reply to this post. Make sure to EMBED the video by clicking on INSERT SPECIAL ITEM above the smiley face and then you'll get a drop down menu. Click on INSERT YOUTUBE VIDEO and follow the instructions in the Pop Up Menu. I'll then offer a constructive and brutally honest critique.

THE AFTERMATH

Upon nailing the crap out of lesson one at a speed you didn't think possible, and playing it a clean as a freshly waxed floor, you will be given your first insignia of Rank in BOOTCAMP! You will then proceed to Lesson #2 and so forth. Here is the link to the entire 400 plus Lesson Library. https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...rtal:Techniques

Here is the link to your own PRIVATE HOUSE OF PAIN!...Er I mean.. SHRED!

http://bitly.com/farine54sbootcamp"

Practice!
Sarge

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Farine54
Sep 13 2021, 12:46 PM
Learning Roadie
Hy Todd,

Here my first take, I did it live with my smartphone, it's the fastest way to make a recording. But I will have to find another plan for it because I find the sound too muffled. This side will improve her for the next time.

BPM = 120

Thanks,
Olivier.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 14 2021, 05:14 AM
Welcome to BOOTCAMP Soldier!!! Your first Vid looks good!! The first few drills are very simple. They are just to get you familiar with the process here in Bootcamp. You are using a clean tone in your vid which is fine. It would be great if you could use a distorted/gain tone as well once you get past the first several Missions.

Your technique looks solid here Soldier and I don't see anything that I need to correct!! So you are off to a great start!!! To wit!!

Congrats! You just...

LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

QUOTE (Farine54 @ Sep 13 2021, 07:46 AM) *
Hy Todd,

Here my first take, I did it live with my smartphone, it's the fastest way to make a recording. But I will have to find another plan for it because I find the sound too muffled. This side will improve her for the next time.

BPM = 120

Thanks,
Olivier.

+Quote Post
Farine54
Sep 14 2021, 10:29 AM
Learning Roadie
Thank Drill Sergeant,

I just watched mission 2, and I have two questions:

- 1 - during the rise of the fret do I have to make a slide ?

- 2 - Should I let the index finger press on the string ?

Thanks,
Olivier.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 14 2021, 08:13 PM
For these first few missions, do whatever your fingers tell you they want to do. It's just so that I can see your fingers in action. These first ones are less about learning new things than about letting me see you play. So these are much less strict than the advanced lessons. Play them in any way that is comfortable for your hand. The first one looked great!!

Onward!!
Sarge

QUOTE (Farine54 @ Sep 14 2021, 05:29 AM) *
Thank Drill Sergeant,

I just watched mission 2, and I have two questions:

- 1 - during the rise of the fret do I have to make a slide ?

- 2 - Should I let the index finger press on the string ?

Thanks,
Olivier.

+Quote Post
Farine54
Nov 1 2021, 06:12 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd,

I'm late on the mission, I'm sorry. I am coming to a time when I have a lot to occupy myself and to do. It will last for a long time unfortunately, but when I have some time I take these moments to play (they don't have many but it's better than nothing)

Here is my take for this lesson 2 at 120bpm, I'm not happy with the tempo, you'll see it too.
Thank you for your advice,

Farine.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 2 2021, 09:46 AM
Good to see you back in the fight Soldier!!!! You KILLED IT on this one! It's all about hand synch and staying on beat. To wit!!

Impressive! You just..

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

\
QUOTE (Farine54 @ Nov 1 2021, 01:12 PM) *
Hi Todd,

I'm late on the mission, I'm sorry. I am coming to a time when I have a lot to occupy myself and to do. It will last for a long time unfortunately, but when I have some time I take these moments to play (they don't have many but it's better than nothing)

Here is my take for this lesson 2 at 120bpm, I'm not happy with the tempo, you'll see it too.
Thank you for your advice,

Farine.

+Quote Post
Farine54
Nov 2 2021, 12:30 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks Sergent,

here we go for the 3rd

+Quote Post
Farine54
Nov 10 2021, 07:08 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd,

Here is the last take of my work on Mission 3 (126bpm). Hope it worked out well.

Thank you in advance for your opinion.

Farine

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 11 2021, 03:22 AM
You are on a roll Soldier!!! This is very well played. You are tight on the beat which is the entire point of this. Your picking is strong and clear and your hand synch is spot on. You are off to a great start here. Counting time is something that some folks really struggle with. Not you!! Your timing is tight!!! Also your mute is strong and there are no missed notes.

The only change I'd suggest is try to add as much distortion/gain as you can when doing these missions. The more the better. Distortion will show you and me if there are any gaps in your mute. The less gain used on these, the easier it is to hide mistakes and slips in technique. If your gear just won't support high gain tones, it's fine, just use as much as you can manage. Don't make it a squealing feedback fest, just push the gain to where it sounds like a lead tone in a loud rock band. After all, taming distortion while playing with good techique is where we are headed in bootcamp as it's the best way to force the hands to keep everything in check.

I'm on holiday til this weekend so I'm not able to do vid responses at the moment, but I will be doing them again in a few days. I look forward to your next Mission!!! You NAILED IT!!

Congrats Soldier!! You just..

LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward !
Sarge

QUOTE (Farine54 @ Nov 10 2021, 02:08 PM) *
Hi Todd,

Here is the last take of my work on Mission 3 (126bpm). Hope it worked out well.

Thank you in advance for your opinion.

Farine

+Quote Post
Farine54
Nov 16 2021, 01:50 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd,
here is the recording of my mission 4.
Tempo level, I was as far as I could (105bpm - 4/4), besides you will notice that I am on the edge of the razor (at the limit of the stall).

I have changed my way of recording. Since I don't have a High gain amp, I went through software (Recto sound) and the location of my monitors are much closer: you can hear better but there is a lot of bass ...

I still hope not to repeat biggrin.gif

Thanks for your com,
Farine.

This post has been edited by Farine54: Nov 16 2021, 01:52 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 17 2021, 08:09 AM
I watched this over and over looking for flaws and I don't see any. This is very well done. Precise, smooth, clean. BAM!!!! Also, digging your tone on this one. I can hear more gain and the mute is very solid. I use plugins as well! smile.gif

Congrats Soldier!! You just..

LEVELED UP!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

QUOTE (Farine54 @ Nov 16 2021, 08:50 AM) *
Hi Todd,
here is the recording of my mission 4.
Tempo level, I was as far as I could (105bpm - 4/4), besides you will notice that I am on the edge of the razor (at the limit of the stall).

I have changed my way of recording. Since I don't have a High gain amp, I went through software (Recto sound) and the location of my monitors are much closer: you can hear better but there is a lot of bass ...

I still hope not to repeat biggrin.gif

Thanks for your com,
Farine.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 17 2021, 08:10 AM

+Quote Post
Farine54
Nov 30 2021, 06:49 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd,
here is the result of the work on mission 5 which gave me a hard time. I am losing speed (95BPM) compared to mission 4 (105BPM). There are a few skirmishes on the strings jumps.

This post has been edited by Farine54: Nov 30 2021, 06:52 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 1 2021, 01:10 PM
Impressive work Soldier! This one has constant string traverse and a back and forth pattern which makes it a bit more complex. As you keep playing it, you can get some amazing speed out of it. To wit!

Congratulations you just..

LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

QUOTE (Farine54 @ Nov 30 2021, 01:49 PM) *
Hi Todd,
here is the result of the work on mission 5 which gave me a hard time. I am losing speed (95BPM) compared to mission 4 (105BPM). There are a few skirmishes on the strings jumps.

+Quote Post
Farine54
Jan 1 2022, 05:04 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd,
Here is the take from lesson 6.

I don't know why but I had a lot of trouble going through this lesson, it's not for lack of trying ... yet my work is not progressing.

I will therefore post to you the maximum speed at which I arrive there because beyond this one all by spin.

I prefer to stop at this level for this one and move on to the next one because it demoralizes me.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 2 2022, 06:38 AM
Great job Soldier!! I'm sorry for the lag on this one. I must have missed this post when you put it up. I'll do a quick text review on this one and get back to video reviews for your next one. Be sure to shoot me a PM when you finish a mission if possible smile.gif

You should feel great about this take Soldier. It's very well done. The speed is on point. It's about as fast as I ever play this lick. Your picking is solid and on time and your hands are synched. Also you keep your mute and dont't lift! This is the toughest bit of all. I'm stoked to see you playing at this level. Each one of these has it's own thing it's trying to teach. In this one it's hand synch and stretch. Many of these licks are not built for speed but for precision. The ones that are built for speed will be easier to play fast.

You nailed it Soldier!

You just..

LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!

Sarge

QUOTE (Farine54 @ Jan 1 2022, 12:04 PM) *
Hi Todd,
Here is the take from lesson 6.

I don't know why but I had a lot of trouble going through this lesson, it's not for lack of trying ... yet my work is not progressing.

I will therefore post to you the maximum speed at which I arrive there because beyond this one all by spin.

I prefer to stop at this level for this one and move on to the next one because it demoralizes me.

+Quote Post
Farine54
Nov 5 2022, 01:26 PM
Learning Roadie
Hello Todd,

I return to GMC after a long period of absence... The fault of a fall while mountain biking, I had a broken wrist which was difficult to repair due to complications.

I was able to pick up the guitar about two months ago, so I revised to pick up where I left off.
It feels good, because it's frustrating not being able to do what we love, but sometimes it's not us who decide...

I am currently reworking level 7, in parallel with this Diamond Head style lesson made by Gab :
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Diamond-Head-Style/
I have already (I think) succeeded in the rhythm, and I am currently working on the solo.

To the pleasure.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 8 2022, 11:42 AM
Welcome back Soldier!!!! smile.gif

Sorry to hear about your injury!I Glad to see you are back in the fight!!! That Diamond Head style lesson looks like great fun!

Sarge

QUOTE (Farine54 @ Nov 5 2022, 08:26 AM) *
Hello Todd,

I return to GMC after a long period of absence... The fault of a fall while mountain biking, I had a broken wrist which was difficult to repair due to complications.

I was able to pick up the guitar about two months ago, so I revised to pick up where I left off.
It feels good, because it's frustrating not being able to do what we love, but sometimes it's not us who decide...

I am currently reworking level 7, in parallel with this Diamond Head style lesson made by Gab :
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Diamond-Head-Style/
I have already (I think) succeeded in the rhythm, and I am currently working on the solo.

To the pleasure.

+Quote Post
Farine54
Nov 12 2022, 03:57 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd,

here is my take for the 7th mission.

Sorry for the bad sound, I recorded with my phone, but the advantage is that it's fast.

The tempo is 200bpm, there are some hitches at the start, and some lag towards the end.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 16 2022, 07:38 AM
Phone vids are just fine smile.gif I can see and hear which is all that counts. Your form is on point! Good muting, picking, timing, it's all there!! To wit...

Congrats Soldier! You just..

LEVELED UP!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!!

Sarge

QUOTE (Farine54 @ Nov 12 2022, 10:57 AM) *
Hi Todd,

here is my take for the 7th mission.

Sorry for the bad sound, I recorded with my phone, but the advantage is that it's fast.

The tempo is 200bpm, there are some hitches at the start, and some lag towards the end.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:11 AM