Attention Left Handers
jstcrsn
May 19 2011, 10:45 PM
Learning Tone Master
I recently was dissappointed with the lack of dynamics with my new hellraiser (pickups ,not the guitar)
and as I started looking into geting passive pups , I ran it by a electronic guru--and come to find out
that the vast majority of left handed guitars have right handed parts in them.
and this is why it matters
1.the volume controls should have a scooped cadence-which- allows the majority of the volume to roll in at betwe en 9 and 10 . this produces a nice swell as you roll in.
2.if your guitar has a right handed volume , the ark will be reversed ,meaning, the mojority of volume will roll in to early ,and you will not have any dynamics as well( once your dial reaches about 3, your gain will be almost maxed)
3. they don't make left handed volume pots that swell correctly any more ( at lest that he could not find any distributers that even understand the need for the reverse ark for left handed )
4. but ,the only alternative now is , called a linear pot. there is no swell-only a even increase in gain through out the dial and it works either right or left handed

I am a little upset. as somebody made a decision to mass produce something without understanding the need(for left handers)
but a least I have a little more verstilty then before
so to all the people with left handed guitars I urge you to see if your volume and tone controls swell in properly(you might have to try out a right handed guitar to see what is correct).

will I have enough dynamics or will I still have to go passive on th pups I 'll let you know Chris

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 19 2011, 11:27 PM
Instructor
Very interesting observation, never thought of that! I hope it turns out well for you mate! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
May 20 2011, 03:07 PM
Instructor
this is something to consider, very good observation. maybe write the company

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Mudbone
May 23 2011, 08:06 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I'm left handed, but play righty. In some ways I'm kinda glad I play backwards, just because I avoided all the troubles lefties have with finding guitars. I also think the fact that there are left handed guitars for sale is more of a marketing gimmick than an actual necessity. There is no rule or law that says which hand has to do what action, its merely a suggestion. Guitars have been around for hundreds of years, but its only recently that lefty guitars have been produced. This is probably due to the fact that guitars and other similar stringed instruments have been symmetrical, so flipping the strings was a simple procedure.

If you check out the Gypsy Kings, you'll notice that some of them play lefty, but keep the strings strung righty. They claim this is because when they were growing up they only had a few guitars and couldn't afford to get another guitar strung for left handed playing. Combine this with the fact that the guitar has historically been a working class instrument, we can come to the conclusion that their situation is not unique.

Now to mess with your mind even more, Jimi Hendrix was righty playing lefty, with the strings strung for lefty. Albert King and Dick Dale were lefties that played lefty but had their guitars strung right handed.

So what point am I trying to make? Well if you're a beginning guitarist thats left hand dominant, you may want to consider playing right handed, because in the long run it won't make that much of a difference. Personally, I feel fretting with my dominant hand actually helps me with bluesy music that has lots of bends and vibratos, I feel like I have more control.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
May 24 2011, 02:05 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Mudbone @ May 23 2011, 08:06 PM) *
Now to mess with your mind even more, Jimi Hendrix was righty playing lefty, with the strings strung for lefty. Albert King and Dick Dale were lefties that played lefty but had their guitars strung right handed.

So what point am I trying to make? Well if you're a beginning guitarist thats left hand dominant, you may want to consider playing right handed, because in the long run it won't make that much of a difference. Personally, I feel fretting with my dominant hand actually helps me with bluesy music that has lots of bends and vibratos, I feel like I have more control.

and to mess with your head , I am right handed , but due to a broken left arm that the doctor did not set correctly,I can not turn my wrist to chord with my left hand, I had to switch and chord with my right hand
I do agree with you ,and encourage every begining left hander to learn as a righty

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:14 PM