4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Minor Pentatonic And Blues Scales
audiopaal
May 15 2008, 07:12 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Now this is what I call great biggrin.gif
Thanks Andrew smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rain
Jun 12 2008, 03:17 AM
GMC:er
Wow - this is really helpful! I finally get how the minor Pentatonic scale works. I knew the scale for so long yet had no idea what I was playing nor how it worked mathematically.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Rain: Jun 15 2008, 03:29 AM

--------------------
Galneryus [SYU / YUUTO-LEDA] - the GazettE - Sonic Syndicate - Versailles - Sadie - Takayoshi Ohmura - Steve Vai - MintJam - Sex Machineguns - Gentaro Satomura - CYCLE - Paul Gilbert - X Japan - Disturbed

+Quote Post
Rain
Jun 15 2008, 03:26 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 14 2007, 01:42 PM) *
Don't confuse patterns on the guitar with notes in the scale - they are very different.

The scale gives you a list of possible notes, and bear in mind as Kaneda says you can use those notes in any octave the guitar can play. The next step is to move those notes to a physical realization by mapping them onto the guitar so you can play them, this is where patterns come in, and boxes (although ultimately its better to think in terms of all the possible notes on the entire fretboard so you dont 'box' yourself in.

So, the scale is a list of notes, then you can play those notes in any octave anywhere on the guitar and they will be in the scale.

So the point of knowing the scales is to get a list of possible notes, yes. Where I get confused and lost is when we start moving into other scales and modes and breaking out of scales and jumping from one scale to another and back, etc, etc. It doesn't seem like a solid way of knowing what the music is going to do. It seems more like a style of notation - am I way off here or..?

Also, do artists simply say "okay, for this part of the song, I want something dark and eerie, with an oriental twist" - and pick a scale / key to go along with it?

Finally, is it practical to analyze someones playing in terms of what scales a band used while making a song - or are the scales best used when moving forwards and making a song? (to clarify - used to create, not to analyze)

PS: How do you delete posts?

This post has been edited by Rain: Jun 15 2008, 03:28 AM

--------------------
Galneryus [SYU / YUUTO-LEDA] - the GazettE - Sonic Syndicate - Versailles - Sadie - Takayoshi Ohmura - Steve Vai - MintJam - Sex Machineguns - Gentaro Satomura - CYCLE - Paul Gilbert - X Japan - Disturbed

+Quote Post
Nazgul
Jul 12 2008, 06:00 PM
Some short questions to Andrew: I'm practicing the Minor Pentatonic and Blues Scale since two months. Now I'm quite good at jamming around by connecting the boxes etc. But is it normal that it takes so long to be completely comfortable with a scale? For example, when I finished the Pentatonic and the Blues Scale, will it take an equal amount of time to learn for example the harmonic minor?

And is it necessary to learn the pentatonic in all keys, or let's say just in E, A and G?

Thanks, of course anyone can answer. wink.gif

Edit: Ivan? Andrew? smile.gif

This post has been edited by Nazgul: Aug 24 2008, 01:06 PM

--------------------
Chuck Norris rules!

+Quote Post
Nazgul
Aug 24 2008, 01:08 PM
???

--------------------
Chuck Norris rules!

+Quote Post
kyldeee
Aug 24 2008, 01:12 PM
QUOTE (Nazgul @ Jul 12 2008, 06:00 PM) *
Some short questions to Andrew: I'm practicing the Minor Pentatonic and Blues Scale since two months. Now I'm quite good at jamming around by connecting the boxes etc. But is it normal that it takes so long to be completely comfortable with a scale? For example, when I finished the Pentatonic and the Blues Scale, will it take an equal amount of time to learn for example the harmonic minor?

And is it necessary to learn the pentatonic in all keys, or let's say just in E, A and G?

Thanks, of course anyone can answer. wink.gif

Edit: Ivan? Andrew? smile.gif

I'm also learning the pentatonics now, and I'm getting rather comfortable with them smile.gif I think it personal, how long you have to study them, and I would say in my case that as long as you have to smile.gif

If you learn the pentatonic (minor or major) in one key, you can play it in any key...

Cheers smile.gif

--------------------

Music really is a way to reach out and hold on to each other in a healthy way.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 24 2008, 01:16 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (kyldeee @ Aug 24 2008, 02:12 PM) *
I'm also learning the pentatonics now, and I'm getting rather comfortable with them smile.gif I think it personal, how long you have to study them, and I would say in my case that as long as you have to smile.gif

If you learn the pentatonic (minor or major) in one key, you can play it in any key...

Cheers smile.gif

True, knowing the boxes is enough to be able to play them in every key. It is a good practice to do some uncommon keys every once in a while, like in Bb. I have known this scale for almost half a year now, and it's still not totaly fluid. boxes 5,1 and 2 are very fluid with the mixing, 4 a bit and 3 not very fluid tongue.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Nazgul
Aug 24 2008, 02:31 PM
QUOTE (kyldeee @ Aug 24 2008, 02:12 PM) *

Cheers smile.gif

Thank you for answering. biggrin.gif

Well, I don't know if I should now start to learn the Major Scale or trying to perfect my improvisation-skills on the minor pentatonic. I'm sure in a while I will need the Major and Minor Scale, but I just don't know if I'm good enough at the pentatonic.And maybe it's only in my case but for me it's not THAT easy to just move the shapes along the neck. For example I learned the G minor pentatonic quite well and I kept in mind that most of the notes of the first box lie on a "point" (3rd and 5th fret), but if I attempted to learn the g sharp pentatonic the "right" notes wouldn't be there anymore. wink.gif

This post has been edited by Nazgul: Aug 24 2008, 02:32 PM

--------------------
Chuck Norris rules!

+Quote Post
kyldeee
Aug 24 2008, 02:45 PM
Well, just keep on learning those patterns, and try moving those patterns all around the fretboard, not just staying on one key, and also connecting them... And as for the major pentatonic, it's pretty much the same as the minor, so no difficulties there smile.gif

--------------------

- Stevie Ray Vaughan

+Quote Post
Nazgul
Aug 24 2008, 04:03 PM
Thank you very much, first question answered. biggrin.gif

And the second would be, are there any rules or suggestions of how good one should be in improvisation and scale knowledge before learning the next new scale? I'm really struggling with that problem at the moment, because I would love to start learning the Major Scale for writing Punk-Songs but I don't think I'm good enough at the Minor Pentatonic now.

--------------------
Chuck Norris rules!

+Quote Post
kyldeee
Aug 24 2008, 04:46 PM
I don't think there are such rules concerning scale learning, so I say by all means look into the Major scale, cause the minor and major pentatonic scales gives you a strong basics on learning the Major and minor scales smile.gif

Cheers smile.gif

This post has been edited by kyldeee: Aug 24 2008, 04:51 PM

--------------------

- Stevie Ray Vaughan

+Quote Post
Nazgul
Aug 24 2008, 04:51 PM
? biggrin.gif

--------------------
Chuck Norris rules!

+Quote Post
kyldeee
Aug 24 2008, 04:51 PM
QUOTE (Nazgul @ Aug 24 2008, 04:51 PM) *
? biggrin.gif

haha, I'm tired rolleyes.gif

--------------------

- Stevie Ray Vaughan

+Quote Post
Nazgul
Aug 24 2008, 08:18 PM
QUOTE (kyldeee @ Aug 24 2008, 05:51 PM) *
haha, I'm tired rolleyes.gif

Haha, because of me? tongue.gif *Spam Extreme*

Thanks for answering I'll have a look at the Major Scale now. smile.gif

--------------------
Chuck Norris rules!

+Quote Post
Vaialation1232
Jan 4 2009, 09:32 AM
Learning Rock Star
I'm loving your lessons, but i just had one question...in this lesson you call the 6th fret on the E string Bb, is there any reason for this instead of A#? i know its probably a technicality but i was just wondering

Thanks again!

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jan 4 2009, 11:16 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Vaialation1232 @ Jan 4 2009, 09:32 AM) *
I'm loving your lessons, but i just had one question...in this lesson you call the 6th fret on the E string Bb, is there any reason for this instead of A#? i know its probably a technicality but i was just wondering

Thanks again!

It is a theorical matter. If you take the G minor Pentatonic scale, you have the following pattern: root / minor 3rd/ perfect 4th / perfect 5th / minor 7th. G to Bb is a minor 3rd and G to A# is an augmented 2nd. That´s why we take Bb. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mrblomme
Jan 28 2009, 12:16 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I have a question, in the 5th box of Aminor Pentatonic I'm starting at the 15th fret Estring (G).
Because it's the 5th box I'm playing it that far but cant I play it an octave higher? Or doesn't that belong anymore to the Aminor Pentatonic Scale?

This post has been edited by Mrblomme: Jan 28 2009, 12:16 PM

--------------------
Homer J. Simpson: Rockstars is there anything they dont know?

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Jan 30 2009, 02:57 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Mrblomme @ Jan 28 2009, 12:16 PM) *
I have a question, in the 5th box of Aminor Pentatonic I'm starting at the 15th fret Estring (G).
Because it's the 5th box I'm playing it that far but cant I play it an octave higher? Or doesn't that belong anymore to the Aminor Pentatonic Scale?

the boxes can be repeated, meaning after the fifth box, you get the first one again. So you can go on even further, until your fretboard runs out of frets wink.gif

This post has been edited by kaznie_NL: Jan 30 2009, 02:57 PM

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Mrblomme
Feb 2 2009, 12:21 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Jan 30 2009, 02:57 PM) *
the boxes can be repeated, meaning after the fifth box, you get the first one again. So you can go on even further, until your fretboard runs out of frets wink.gif

Aight thanks a bunch! cool.gif

--------------------
Homer J. Simpson: Rockstars is there anything they dont know?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:10 PM