3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
December Mtp Thread - Neurologi
Daniel Realpe
Dec 17 2009, 01:24 AM
Instructor

I forgot to mention in the video that it would be a good idea to practice with both a distorted and a non-distorted sound so you can get a good feel for dynamics,

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Dec 17 2009, 01:39 AM
GMC:er
I must admit to being a bit sick of this arpeggio exercise. I suck at it. It sounds really disjointed everytime I play it back after what I thought was an OK take. Argghhh! I was hoping to have it done before I go to bed so I can just concentrate on the stuff with voice and claps in the morning.

Dynamics? I thought I was working on keeping it even and clean? I get TOO carried away with dynamics most times ... Don't encourage me! =) Ok. My apologies. I read the comment first before watching the vid. I see what you mean now. Keeping the notes even and clean but according to a particular dynamic. For example, the ones you mentioned - fortissimo and pianissomo. Good idea.

[EDIT] >> Gonna take a break and watch your vid. Thanks for putting it together.

Cool. You make it look so easy. Some more approaches to prevent the same exercises from getting stale. It is true. Using a cleaner sound at times would be helpful allowing me to change things up a bit and rest the ear a bit also from all the distortion.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Neurologi: Dec 17 2009, 02:15 AM

--------------------
My gear? Mesa Boogie Triaxis - TC Electronic G-Major - Marshall 9200 Dual MonoBloc (2x100W) - Fender Roc Pro 4x12 (300W) + a whole lot more!

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Dec 17 2009, 02:42 AM
Well here it is! Warts and all! smile.gif Maybe I shouldn't have tried to nail it at 180bpm to begin with? wink.gif I ended up at 140bpm ... but even that might be too high for my current abilities?

Attached File  Arpeggios2.mp3 ( 342.26K ) Number of downloads: 197

--------------------
My gear? Mesa Boogie Triaxis - TC Electronic G-Major - Marshall 9200 Dual MonoBloc (2x100W) - Fender Roc Pro 4x12 (300W) + a whole lot more!

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Dec 17 2009, 10:23 AM
You are such a brilliant man! It took me all this time - quite a few hours - for it to click as what you were trying to say in your video response.

As I play, I am focusing so hard on a number of things - pick/string noise, patterns, fingerings, tone, rhythm, and just plain hitting the notes. That is, all except for the actual dynamics. It didn't even occur to me. Sometimes, I suppose, it is quite difficult really in many ways for the player to remove themselves from the playing which is the case here. That is when it is oh so valuable that somebody else critically evaluate the same. Thank you, Daniel, for lending me your ears.

I do feel that dynamics may well be the hardest thing for me to even out but those exercises you demoed really pinpoint that aspect with laser sharp focus and will go a long way. Also too, I suppose it can't help itself but that the rough edges just slowly smooth out over time as I get more comfortable with my execution over the course of more extended time with the instrument. Dunno. I feel like a rank beginner which is weird given I didn't just pick up a guitar yesterday.

Awesome! I love it when someone is even more perceptive than me. Refreshing to say the least .... smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Dec 17 2009, 08:59 PM
Still one more to go after this. That will have to be tomorrow as I ran out of time due to technical difficulties. This was the first time I had used a DirectX plugin to record and they seem to be a bit more sensitive than a VST with regard to preload cache and buffer settings. The recorded take just wasn't sounding anything like when monitoring until I tested out a few different configurations. Anyway. It should be sorted now for the next batch of recordings.

Attached File  Rhythm2.mp3 ( 755.52K ) Number of downloads: 180

This was surprisingly more difficult than I had imagined - placing a strong accent on the 1 and slightly less so on the 3 with passive pulses on the 2 and 4. I still insist that that is due to me working off of the backbeat a la jazz and slightly ahead of the beat a la salsa .... laugh.gif

Your idea of backing off the volume knob a tad on the guitar should be a great trick to practise this week's scale assignment dynamically (i.e. fortissimo/pianissimo). I really don't want to go down the road of tweaking a clean guitar patch instead. That would take me forever to come up with a sound I could live with ... tongue.gif

[EDIT] >> Might be a bit hard for you to hear the claps over the metronome I am thinking? Will have to adjust the levels for that section in future. Trading one technically difficulty for another. Oh well. You get the idea.

This post has been edited by Neurologi: Dec 17 2009, 09:12 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Dec 18 2009, 12:08 AM
This was fun. My first spot of MIDI programming within my DAW to set it up so that I can practise the sight-singing melody along with a piano accompaniment. Then once lodged in my memory, I can simply mute it and record the vocals 'a cappella' after a short G Major arpeggio on the piano to get the ear into tune. That is for after I wake though as pretty late but wanted to get it all setup ready to go for first thing in the morning.

Dunno. Just felt like sharing a screenshot for the heck of it! biggrin.gif

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 18 2009, 06:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Neurologi @ Dec 17 2009, 02:42 AM) *
Well here it is! Warts and all! smile.gif Maybe I shouldn't have tried to nail it at 180bpm to begin with? wink.gif I ended up at 140bpm ... but even that might be too high for my current abilities?

Attached File  Arpeggios2.mp3 ( 342.26K ) Number of downloads: 197

I think your take is what is supposed to be. Sounds like you are easily controlling the pick, very good job! Actually I'm glad that you put the effort on it because you definitely mastered that shape.

Now I'll think on a something for the next assignment to take you a little further

QUOTE (Neurologi @ Dec 17 2009, 10:23 AM) *
You are such a brilliant man! It took me all this time - quite a few hours - for it to click as what you were trying to say in your video response.

As I play, I am focusing so hard on a number of things - pick/string noise, patterns, fingerings, tone, rhythm, and just plain hitting the notes. That is, all except for the actual dynamics. It didn't even occur to me. Sometimes, I suppose, it is quite difficult really in many ways for the player to remove themselves from the playing which is the case here. That is when it is oh so valuable that somebody else critically evaluate the same. Thank you, Daniel, for lending me your ears.

I do feel that dynamics may well be the hardest thing for me to even out but those exercises you demoed really pinpoint that aspect with laser sharp focus and will go a long way. Also too, I suppose it can't help itself but that the rough edges just slowly smooth out over time as I get more comfortable with my execution over the course of more extended time with the instrument. Dunno. I feel like a rank beginner which is weird given I didn't just pick up a guitar yesterday.

Awesome! I love it when someone is even more perceptive than me. Refreshing to say the least .... smile.gif

I'm very glad that you liked the input I gave on your take. The point is by separating both dynamics, you can isolate even further (and that's something I know you like to do) the actual picking technique.

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 18 2009, 07:03 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Neurologi @ Dec 18 2009, 12:08 AM) *
This was fun. My first spot of MIDI programming within my DAW to set it up so that I can practise the sight-singing melody along with a piano accompaniment. Then once lodged in my memory, I can simply mute it and record the vocals 'a cappella' after a short G Major arpeggio on the piano to get the ear into tune. That is for after I wake though as pretty late but wanted to get it all setup ready to go for first thing in the morning.

Dunno. Just felt like sharing a screenshot for the heck of it! biggrin.gif

Attached Image

That's a great idea!

You can also use the guitar when you don't have the daw around

QUOTE (Neurologi @ Dec 17 2009, 08:59 PM) *
Still one more to go after this. That will have to be tomorrow as I ran out of time due to technical difficulties. This was the first time I had used a DirectX plugin to record and they seem to be a bit more sensitive than a VST with regard to preload cache and buffer settings. The recorded take just wasn't sounding anything like when monitoring until I tested out a few different configurations. Anyway. It should be sorted now for the next batch of recordings.

Attached File  Rhythm2.mp3 ( 755.52K ) Number of downloads: 180

This was surprisingly more difficult than I had imagined - placing a strong accent on the 1 and slightly less so on the 3 with passive pulses on the 2 and 4. I still insist that that is due to me working off of the backbeat a la jazz and slightly ahead of the beat a la salsa .... laugh.gif

Your idea of backing off the volume knob a tad on the guitar should be a great trick to practise this week's scale assignment dynamically (i.e. fortissimo/pianissimo). I really don't want to go down the road of tweaking a clean guitar patch instead. That would take me forever to come up with a sound I could live with ... tongue.gif

[EDIT] >> Might be a bit hard for you to hear the claps over the metronome I am thinking? Will have to adjust the levels for that section in future. Trading one technically difficulty for another. Oh well. You get the idea.

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 19 2009, 02:47 AM
Instructor
Hi Ken!

This is the third assigment: Due December 29th

- Record and post rhythm in the GP file attached. Notice it is on 2/4 time signature. This time signature uses two beats. One strong and one weak like bouncing an imaginary ball. So accent the first beat and don't accent the second.

- Record and post arpeggios and scales assignment. Notice that this is a phrase that uses both scales (chromatic) and arpeggios. There's some strange positioning on the fingering for this exercise but it's doable. The interesting thing is to be able to do a musical phrase with it. Tempo is up to you, but do it clean always.

- Record and post sight-singing assigment in G.

Fourth assigment: Due December 30th

- Record and post REC lesson. Post it on the REC submission board.

Let me know of any questions or comments.

Attached File  Arpeggios_and_scales_assignment_no.3.gp5 ( 2.1K ) Number of downloads: 148

Attached File  Rhythmic_Assignment_no.3.gp5 ( 1.99K ) Number of downloads: 145

This post has been edited by Daniel Realpe: Dec 19 2009, 02:50 AM

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Dec 19 2009, 04:14 PM
Had a quick muck around on the new scales/arpeggios assignment. Good fun. I like how it gives an idea as to how to interlink the two approaches to phrasing. It may sound rather counter-intuitive but it seems to me that three-string shapes are easier than the two-string shapes? Weird.

The rhythm exercises are way hard. How weird also that that should be the case. All the more reason that I should continue to plug away at them.

Thanks for another great set of exercises to work on.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 19 2009, 09:50 PM
Instructor
Do the rhythm exercise first at a slower tempo so you can get it completely right, then go do it at the tempo written

I know two-strings shapes can be more difficult sometimes cause you don't have enough notes where to "grab" from. That's why I consider important to practice these first, then the complete 6 strings feel much more easy.

I'm glad you liked the exercises smile.gif

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Dec 19 2009, 09:59 PM
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Dec 19 2009, 10:50 PM) *
Do the rhythm exercise first at a slower tempo so you can get it completely right, then go do it at the tempo written

Silly me. Why didn't I think of that before? smile.gif

By the way, any chance you could post a close-up pic of your technique of rolling the pick into the palm for tapping or for thumb passages? That looks darn useful. My index finger nail is a little shorter than the others so that may be the only option for me if I want to explore these techniques further. The middle finger would be just too awkward and I may not even be able to make proper contact with the string given its usual finger nail length.

Much appreciated.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 19 2009, 10:29 PM
Instructor
Attached Image

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Dec 20 2009, 11:45 PM
Thanks, Boss. Been learning and practising more sections of the REC assignment today as well as the scales/arpeggios exercise. I can feel and hear my technique improving. Good thing! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 21 2009, 03:19 AM
Instructor
I'm very glad to read that! let me know if you want to change the focus in any way. I think for January it would be good to apply some things to real songs from repertoire you like

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Dec 23 2009, 03:03 PM
I am happy to continue as we have done. A lot of it is new to me (sight-singing and ear training - even arpeggios for that matter) so progress is a little on the slow side but I consider them valuable aspects to work on. Some application of the concepts to repertoire would be great too! Looking forward to it.

Any tips and tricks for internalising the sound of 32nd notes? At this point, I have learnt and can play (sort of) all sections of the REC assignment except for the final one which comprises 32nd notes. At some stage I just lose it and the notes just get plain sloppy. I can barely play those last bars at 50bpm let alone at full tempo of 70bpm. It is surprising what a big difference a few bpm makes with that passage.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 23 2009, 10:55 PM
Instructor
Well, practice that part isolated first of course,

if you can't get it, then practice two strings, at the right tempo, then 3, then 4

When you are practicing the whole lesson, just before you get to that part you have to be ready and don't let it take you by surprise. So to internalize, you kind of have to have the part prior to the 32nd notes very comfortable and "automated" so you can easily arrive at the more challenging part as well.

And I'm sure you can easily do that! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 31 2009, 06:09 PM
Instructor
Hey Ken!

I hope everything is going well with the technical issues, I know that can be a pain in the arse,

and also I want to wish a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Let's have a very productive 2010! biggrin.gif on every level!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Neurologi
Jan 4 2010, 03:18 AM
Thank you my dear friend. I hope and trust you had and will continue to have the happiest of new years!!

2010 has an epic sound to it. So big things are required by one and all .. biggrin.gif

As you rightly guessed, my silence has been due to those very same technical issues I alerted you to over a week ago. I didn't want to say more until I had something new to tell. In that time, I have at least managed to get my computer to behave to some degree in a low-latency recording context. It began there. The system was practically unusable for that purpose - audio glitches, stuttering and sometimes even system freezes. I have no idea why these symptoms all piled upon each other in the first place all of a sudden. Maybe it was just the use of the computer in general had changed substantially due to the MTP where I was doing some manner of recording every day for a continuous period which would tax the system and highlight any deficiencies very quickly as I just found out. So, it has been a slow and painful process trying to troubleshoot the likely causes. As it turned out, it was a multitude of things. No easy fix in any sense of the word. As things tend to go, the fixes turned up other problems in their wake and the process perpetuates. As such, I still have some mopping up to do. Although, the difference now is that I know what I am dealing with whereas before I was flying blind.

I must say that this has really tested my engineering skills to the limit. A re-format and re-install solution - which is support speak for we don't give a damn and couldn't be bothered looking into the real root cause - was simply out of the question and wouldn't have made the problems go away in any case. That would take three weeks with all the technical stuff I have setup on the computer. That is the problem really. I don't use this as a dedicated audio-only system like a lot of guys recommend.

Everything music-related has been put on hold. I haven't even been checking the GMC forums. That was weird being a junkie and all! smile.gif It seems pretty obvious to me at this point that I won't be back on track any time soon to recover in time to pick up where I left off in December to make the January MTP possible. I hope that I could start afresh with you in February if possible? Of course, I have the remainder of my assignments and REC submission to complete before that time but I hope you could reserve a space for me in the near future once they are done?

Best wishes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jan 4 2010, 10:20 PM
Instructor
Hi Ken,

I really hope your machine is better now. I know how annoying that can be.

We can continue on February, there's no problem, the only thing is you have complete the assignments for December and submit the REC take.

Sounds like a re-format is needed.

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:04 AM