2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Singing While Playing, Any tips or secrets? :)
Staffy
Feb 14 2010, 09:15 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (BM @ Feb 14 2010, 07:14 AM) *
1- Pick the song and isolate the rythm parts that you would be playing.
2-Play those bits until you can play them naturally (out of habit)
3-Listen to the song and memorize the timing between the vocals and the guitar
4-PRACTICE lol

This is really how I do it too...... if You learn the guitar part first and can play it without thinking, its easier to pu the vocals on top.

But when it comes down to earth its all about co-ordination here. (ever wondered how the women can read while having sex? laugh.gif )
I'll suggest practice like this:

1) Play quarter notes and sing triplets (or hum, it doesn't really matter which notes it is)
Turn it around and play triplets and sing quarter notes.
2) Make it harder and extend the range of durations. Eg. sing eight-note triplets while playing 16'th notes.
Then mix it all up and make a scheme out of it. Sing 2 bars triplets with 16'note strumming, 2 bars 8 notes with triplet picking, 2 bars 8 note triplets with 8 notes strumming etc.

In fact, everything that trains the co-ordination will benefit the matter of playing & singing. Drummers and piano-players have a lot easier to do this since they really learned co-ordination from their respective intrument while guitar-players mostly has bad co-ordination (in the matter of that the hands should do two DIFFERENT things) For instance there is a lot of good co-ordination exercises for drummers that can be practiced just using the hands like playing 3 against 2, 4 against 3 etc. This will also benefit the co-ordination and hence singing & playing at the same time.

//Staffay

EDIT: And there must definitely be a level above 10..... check this guy out, Marco Mendoza. Saw him live with Michael Ruff, he can sing just anything while playing bass like.....

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Staffy: Feb 14 2010, 09:22 AM

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zen
Feb 14 2010, 09:51 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Staffy @ Feb 14 2010, 07:15 PM) *
This is really how I do it too...... if You learn the guitar part first and can play it without thinking, its easier to pu the vocals on top.

But when it comes down to earth its all about co-ordination here. (ever wondered how the women can read while having sex? laugh.gif )
I'll suggest practice like this:

1) Play quarter notes and sing triplets (or hum, it doesn't really matter which notes it is)
Turn it around and play triplets and sing quarter notes.
2) Make it harder and extend the range of durations. Eg. sing eight-note triplets while playing 16'th notes.
Then mix it all up and make a scheme out of it. Sing 2 bars triplets with 16'note strumming, 2 bars 8 notes with triplet picking, 2 bars 8 note triplets with 8 notes strumming etc.

In fact, everything that trains the co-ordination will benefit the matter of playing & singing. Drummers and piano-players have a lot easier to do this since they really learned co-ordination from their respective intrument while guitar-players mostly has bad co-ordination (in the matter of that the hands should do two DIFFERENT things) For instance there is a lot of good co-ordination exercises for drummers that can be practiced just using the hands like playing 3 against 2, 4 against 3 etc. This will also benefit the co-ordination and hence singing & playing at the same time.

//Staffay

EDIT: And there must definitely be a level above 10..... check this guy out, Marco Mendoza. Saw him live with Michael Ruff, he can sing just anything while playing bass like.....

Fantastic suggestions there Staffy.. this is drilling down to the roots of coordination and training the brain.. I'll formulate something around it. You are right, its very true .. pianists and drummers have good coordination and they've developed their brain in such a way ... Us guitar playing minions need to learn it smile.gif .. And yes, I can understand how ANY coordination exercise can begefit guitar playin-singing as it exercises the brain to simultaneously do 2 things..... As for how women's coordination skills laugh.gif .. well... their brain is much much evolved than men ... i think that's scientifically proven as well smile.gif

Thanks for the vid .. If everyone shared vids as examples of the levels I suggested, it would help us all study this topic.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Staffy
Feb 14 2010, 10:47 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (zen @ Feb 14 2010, 09:51 AM) *
As for how women's coordination skills laugh.gif .. well... their brain is much much evolved than men ... i think that's scientifically proven as well smile.gif

Yeah, but their brains are actually smaller as well... (also proven by science) That may explain their lack of thinking before doing in some situations.... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2

+Quote Post
zen
Feb 14 2010, 11:23 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Staffy @ Feb 14 2010, 08:47 PM) *
Yeah, but their brains are actually smaller as well... (also proven by science) That may explain their lack of thinking before doing in some situations.... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

//Staffay

laugh.gif laugh.gif ... Suddenly singing while playing doesn't look so hard ... in comparison to understanding a female brain laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Staffy
Feb 14 2010, 11:34 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (zen @ Feb 14 2010, 11:23 AM) *
laugh.gif laugh.gif ... Suddenly singing while playing doesn't look so hard ... in comparison to understanding a female brain laugh.gif laugh.gif

Nah, its a piece-of-cake comparing to understand women, it was never meant to be that we shall understand them! In fact I still don't understand how my body reacts when I see a beautiful woman.... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 14 2010, 01:47 PM
Instructor
Hehe, the clip is awesome biggrin.gif They have fantastic groove, the bass player plays phenomenal funk, and the lady singer has some funky moves biggrin.gif

Regarding playing & singing, it's all a matter of practice. I used to split sections into pieces, and although it took me a while, after constant repeating it polishes a bit. If you want to learn to play & sing, just gotta do it for a while, and it will come no problem, just like anything else. First you have to learn all the bits and pieces so you can do them in your sleep, like Staffay mentioned.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Feb 14 2010, 01:50 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
zen
Feb 16 2010, 09:07 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Feb 14 2010, 11:47 PM) *
Hehe, the clip is awesome biggrin.gif They have fantastic groove, the bass player plays phenomenal funk, and the lady singer has some funky moves biggrin.gif

Regarding playing & singing, it's all a matter of practice. I used to split sections into pieces, and although it took me a while, after constant repeating it polishes a bit. If you want to learn to play & sing, just gotta do it for a while, and it will come no problem, just like anything else. First you have to learn all the bits and pieces so you can do them in your sleep, like Staffay mentioned.

laugh.gif Ya, i almost forgot to mention the lady singer .. her dancing is hilarious ... well, atleast she does'nt have to worry about singing while playing guitar .. hahha .. so she can get on with it as much as she can and shake the whole stage while she's doin it ... biggrin.gif

Getting back to the topic, I'm not good at any piece or song or lick that well that I can play it in my sleep smile.gif .. If I play the same lick or song for 2+ years, then yea, it's probably possible.

--------------------

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Staffy
Feb 16 2010, 11:20 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Feb 14 2010, 01:47 PM) *

yeah, they really do! Michael Ruff is one of the most under-rated musicians/singers/song-writers of all time in my belief. I just simply can't understand why he never had any major success..... Look at this.... "Come together" OMG!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:03 AM