Overdrive Pedals?
RIP Dime
Apr 7 2008, 10:21 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys, I have a ValveKing 212, and it's great, I just wanted to get a bit more gain & compression on the lead channel. I don't know much about effects so I thought I'd ask you guys.

I do have a distortion pedal, and when I run it through my clean channel it adds lots of gain and punch, that's what I'm looking for something to add gain and punch, but to my lead channel. My distortion pedal sounds grainy, and cheesey so I don't like using it, but I was surprised how well it drove my tube amp.

I'm not looking for a total distortion unit, just something to add some more gain & punch to the lead channel on my amp, but I don't want it to suck any of my nice tube tone, or add some cheesey voicing. I would like true bypass aswell.

Any suggestions? Personal experiences with driving your dirty channel?

Much thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Apr 7 2008, 10:27 PM
Learning Tone Master
I prefer the Boss sd-1 Super Overdrive, it's very affordable and has a nice warm tone when boosting my Marshall with it. I can either get a creamy lead tone or and aggressive overdriven rythm sound with it + you can use it on your clean channel to get a bluesy tone from it. I took this one over the classic Ibanez tubescreamer because the tube screamer could only do lead tones but not spice up my rythm work. If you only want a lead tone then consider the tubescreamer too, because it is more neutral than the Boss in ways of boosting the tone...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Apr 7 2008, 10:38 PM
Thanks man, my friend recommended me the SD-1 modded by Robert Keeley, it's more expensive, but he said it's worth it, I'll definately consider it. Here's the link to the Keeley modded one http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=13

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Apr 7 2008, 10:44 PM
Instructor
The Tubescreamer might do wonders on the lead channel. It's great for spicing things up a bit without altering your tone much.

A compressor might do the trick aswell. The BOSS CS-3 is a good compressor.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 7 2008, 11:44 PM
Instructor
I too use the SD1 Super Overdrive, mainly for warming up the drive channel further. It has a smooth drive whn used this way but it eats some of the dynamics. Try Tubescreamer and this, these are the best options.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Apr 8 2008, 07:41 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate it, I'm heading to the guitar store on Friday, and I'll try those out and give this thread an update.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
PanicProne
Apr 8 2008, 04:58 PM
I know you said that you didn't want a big distortion unit. But if it's possible, you should try out the Line 6 DM4.
A brand new one is pretty expensive. But you can find a used one from some 90 dollars or so. It's got every distoriton and overdrive you'll ever need. well, almost. And it has true bypass. Otherwise. Try every boss you can find and give the tubescreamer a go too.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 10 2008, 01:14 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
SD-1 is a good choice smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
bsamn
Apr 11 2008, 10:20 AM
Check out Yngwie's DOD-308 overdrive pedal aswell, as cheap as a SD-1 smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
PanicProne
May 2 2008, 12:50 PM
Oh, I forgot. People are talking a lot about using distortion pedals to "boost" their lead channel. How does this work?
Is it just twice the amount of footwork (step on both your footswitch and dist pedal) or is there another trick?

This post has been edited by PanicProne: May 2 2008, 12:50 PM

+Quote Post
JVM
May 2 2008, 06:19 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (bsamn @ Apr 11 2008, 05:20 AM) *
Check out Yngwie's DOD-308 overdrive pedal aswell, as cheap as a SD-1 smile.gif

Thats another good choice actually. It may not look like much but its pretty good and cheap. Otherwise I suggest tube screamer.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 2 2008, 08:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (PanicProne @ May 2 2008, 01:50 PM) *
Oh, I forgot. People are talking a lot about using distortion pedals to "boost" their lead channel. How does this work?
Is it just twice the amount of footwork (step on both your footswitch and dist pedal) or is there another trick?

Well you have to press all the pedals together, that's how you boost it. Press the footswitch to turn on the drive channel and then press the drive pedal. I keep them side by side and press them in the same time if I need to go from clean to hi gain.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 2 2008, 09:47 PM
Instructor
you can see the Digital Metalizer in my post for boss effects its a good one and it has a pre delay and chorus
you can visit my profile to see it

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:29 AM