> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Hungryforheaven's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 13 2012, 04:36 PM
Instructor
Hi HFH!! Welcome to your Gab's Army thread!!

Could you please tell me a bit about you, your musical tastes, influences, strengths and weaknesses? I would need some videos of you playing rhythm and solo guitar, so please post your best material here. If you have some music or ideas of your own, also post them here. Also let me know how you think that I can help you and what are your expectations for our job. You can check the other Army's thread to discover the different modalities of this project.

The principles of our Army are:

+ Improve your technique
+ Make music and solos
+ Have fun
+ Destroy the enemy (hahaha not realy just kidding... )

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Jun 13 2012, 05:20 PM
Learning Tone Master
Gabriel, thanks for letting me in!

I first started playing guitar in the late 1980's, highly influenced by Malmsteen and later Vinnie Moore. I also listened to (and still do) the metal bands of that time: Judas Priest, Dio, Manowar, Iron Maiden, Helloween, to name a few. I played for a few years, then other things became more important in life. I still had my old guitar, and used it to put some power chord based rhythm tracks on some songs I made with a friend over the past couple of years. It wasn't until 11 Jan 2010, however, when I bought an Ibanez that I started practicing systematically. Since then I have played probably 95 out of 100 days.

It seems as bending and vibrato comes rather naturally for me, I would list those as my strength.
I am ok with theory, too.

I have many weaknesses, some of which are related to picking in one form or another:
I am slow at alternate picking, especially outside picking.
I am embarassingly bad at sweep picking.
I am stuck within a limited library of phrases, making composition and especially improvisation rather dull.

Here are the videos of me that exist at the moment: H4H videos

Let me know if you need to see me play something in particular, and I could tailor a video for you (I guess there isn't much rhythm playing there). There are also some audio takes for collabs spread over the forum, I can collect links to them if you need.

I don't have any outrageous expectations out of this. I think what I need is some coaching rather than anything else. But I would be happy if you could spot flaws in my picking or other techniques, and give me some fresh ideas on what to practice.

I don't play in a band, and I have no ambition to play in a band. I do some composing together with a friend from time to time, and sometimes on my own. Is it too late to submit something for that Army album? cool.gif

With kindest regards,

H4H

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 13 2012, 06:18 PM
Instructor
Hi H4H! I'm glad to help you with your guitar playing! I checked your videos and you already have a good level! That Racer X collab sounds cool, your solo composing is very tasty. smile.gif

Based on your post we should divide your work in 3: Alternate Picking, Sweep Picking and Phrasing/Improvisation.

Let's start with this lessons:

Alternate Picking:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...t=0#entry576899
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...soloing-lesson/

Sweep Picking:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=43281

Phrasing/Improvisation:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/guitar_loves_piano/

and choose any of the active collabs to join and let's work on it.

Regadring te Army's album, you can definitely join!! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Jun 13 2012, 06:19 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Jun 14 2012, 04:33 PM
Learning Tone Master
What an awesome start, Gabe!

So the exercise sheets for AP and sweeping I could/should incorporate in my warm-up routine at various (increasing) speed?

The power metal lesson is really cool! Actually, at least for me, this is less than 8 in difficulty; mainly because it avoids a lot of outside picking. There are other level 7 or 6 or even 5 which are more difficult for me. I would like to submit a video for this one soon, maybe at 120 or 130 bpm or so, and perhaps you can help me correct mistakes at an early stage. How does this sound?

The Piotr lesson is very tasty! I haven't learned it yet, but will do that and start practicing it. Here, the tempo isn't what is important, I could probably submit something at full speed in a week or so. Then you can comment specifically on my phrasing. Ok?

A rather cool riff appeared in my head the other day. I'll record something and post here, maybe it will become a full song sooner or later after some more work according to your advice.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 14 2012, 06:10 PM
Instructor

Hi mate! Everything sounds great to me!

So the exercise sheets for AP and sweeping I could/should incorporate in my warm-up routine at various (increasing) speed?

Definitely!

The power metal lesson is really cool! Actually, at least for me, this is less than 8 in difficulty; mainly because it avoids a lot of outside picking. There are other level 7 or 6 or even 5 which are more difficult for me. I would like to submit a video for this one soon, maybe at 120 or 130 bpm or so, and perhaps you can help me correct mistakes at an early stage. How does this sound?

This sounds good! I'll wait for the video!

The Piotr lesson is very tasty! I haven't learned it yet, but will do that and start practicing it. Here, the tempo isn't what is important, I could probably submit something at full speed in a week or so. Then you can comment specifically on my phrasing. Ok?

Perfect! Concentrate on the feeling of your playing for this one.

A rather cool riff appeared in my head the other day. I'll record something and post here, maybe it will become a full song sooner or later after some more work according to your advice.

Amazing! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Jun 30 2012, 04:47 PM
Learning Tone Master
Gabriel, here comes a take on Guitar Loves Piano.

I also did a power metal take, but something went wrong when recording video (so no video take exists for when the audio was recorded). I might make another attempt today or tomorrow, we'll see.

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Jul 1 2012, 07:11 AM
Learning Tone Master
Also, I would like to post something for your latest collab. I don't have any specific ideas as of yet, but I was thinking that I should try to come up with something involving my problem areas outside picking and sweeps.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 1 2012, 09:11 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (HungryForHeaven @ Jun 30 2012, 12:47 PM) *
Gabriel, here comes a take on Guitar Loves Piano.

I also did a power metal take, but something went wrong when recording video (so no video take exists for when the audio was recorded). I might make another attempt today or tomorrow, we'll see.

This take is fantastic mate!! Your tone, timing and vibrato are top level! Well done. There is only one note wrong (in the begining) in the whole take. Great job! smile.gif

QUOTE (HungryForHeaven @ Jul 1 2012, 03:11 AM) *
Also, I would like to post something for your latest collab. I don't have any specific ideas as of yet, but I was thinking that I should try to come up with something involving my problem areas outside picking and sweeps.

It sounds great for me! smile.gif That collab is open until 4th July.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Jul 4 2012, 12:50 PM
Learning Tone Master
Hello, Gabriel.

I have composed a solo for the first half of the Vain Glory backing track (see attachment below). There are two main problems, though.

1. There is something that I don't like about bars 11 and 12, the descending 8th triplets over the F chord.
2. The bigger problem is that the pivot pattern in bars 9 and 10 are a bit difficult for me to execute at full speed (outside picking is a *****). I'm almost there, but I will most likely not learn it today. sad.gif

So I think I will have to pass on this collab. But at least it made me jam along and come up with a few bars worth of lead guitar. smile.gif

Attached File  Vain_Glory_collab___idea___H4H.gp5 ( 4.07K ) Number of downloads: 84

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Jul 7 2012, 01:49 PM
Learning Tone Master
Ok, I kind of liked my composition in general, so I decided to record a take even if it's too late. And it seems popular to make videos even for audio collabs, so I'm following the trend. cool.gif
I know I should have practiced this a bit more, but I will not be able to play at all for 3 days now, so I really wanted to record something. But I would still appreciate your comments on this.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 8 2012, 10:08 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! That's a cool composition! I like how it evolves from Sweep Picking, to the pedal note neoclassical idea, and some other nice patterns. Every note sounds cool over the backing, and fits over each chord. You played all the licks perfectly excepting the first sweeps that has some timing issues. The other parts are perfect. Well done mate, I'm now doing the mix for the collab, would you like to join? If you say "yes" please send me the mix and the guitar only files....

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Jul 9 2012, 06:30 AM
Learning Tone Master
Hello. Thanks for your feedback!

The thing is, I am out of town for a couple of days and I don't have access to the recordings. The only version I have now is one with a delay effect on the first bit. It sounds a bit strange.. but if it is possible to use it, then go ahead. If not, I'll wait for the next collab. smile.gif

Attached File  Vain_Glory_collab_H4H_solo_with_delay.mp3 ( 602.45K ) Number of downloads: 91

Ah, I see now that it's too late. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 9 2012, 03:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (HungryForHeaven @ Jul 9 2012, 02:30 AM) *
Hello. Thanks for your feedback!

The thing is, I am out of town for a couple of days and I don't have access to the recordings. The only version I have now is one with a delay effect on the first bit. It sounds a bit strange.. but if it is possible to use it, then go ahead. If not, I'll wait for the next collab. smile.gif

Attached File  Vain_Glory_collab_H4H_solo_with_delay.mp3 ( 602.45K ) Number of downloads: 91

Ah, I see now that it's too late. biggrin.gif

Thanks mate! yes, I had to mix it and post the comments. I hope to see you in the next one!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Aug 12 2012, 10:09 AM
Learning Tone Master
Ok, so I finally managed to record a video for Power Metal Soloing Lesson.

It's pretty fast.. I need to get more used to record videos. There are those little hassles when recording - press rec buttons both on camera and in DAW, I need to position myself slightly differently from when I practice normally, etc. Since this is on the very edge of what I can do playing-wise, the little differences make me mess up a bit towards the end. In the end I have only myself to blame for the non-perfectness, but any tips on technique would be appreciated.

Also, I owe you a draft of a song. My computer is getting a bit tired, my DAW breaks down if I use too many tracks with too many effects. I might need a new computer, or maybe just a lighter DAW. Either way, I will try to post something sooner or later. The song is called Joining Forces, by the way; I figured it should fit into the Army theme. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 13 2012, 04:49 AM
Instructor
Hi mate! That's a great take! You are VERY close to master this one. I can note that you are at your limit but I think that you will feel more comfortable after some more practice.

Regarding the song... the title already sounds SOO promising! Can't wait to hear it! biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Aug 13 2012, 01:06 PM
Learning Tone Master
Thanks, man!

In the meantime, do you have any other assignments for me? Lessons to work on? Licks to document progress with? Songs to analyze?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 15 2012, 05:58 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! These are the lessons that I suggest you to start working on... let me know what you think... smile.gif

Alternate Picking:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...n-speed-bursts/

Sweep Picking:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Sweep-...-7th-Arpeggios/

Alternate Picking + Sweep Picking:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/altern...-picking-etude/

Phrasing/Improvisation:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/The_tasty_etude/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Aug 15 2012, 06:47 PM
Learning Tone Master
Awesome!

The first one I have looked at briefly before. The note grouping is staggered, which is good to practice. I will learn the notes, and see which tempo I shall start at.

The second one, a brand new cool lesson! I really dig that you suggested this, it gives me more motivation to learn the technique better. I tend to practice sweeps for a day or two, then I get impatient when I don't make progress. But now... hopefully...

The third one I have also touched upon before. It's difficult for a level 6, for sure. But it could be that I am better now than last time I looked at that lesson, we'll see about my initial tempo.

The fourth one is nice. I will listen to it a few times to get a feel for the melody before I dig into the tabs. Maybe even try to play along to the video.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 16 2012, 11:01 PM
Instructor
Great mate! Feel free to change any of the lessons if you find somethings better that covers the same idea. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Oct 20 2012, 03:07 PM
Learning Tone Master
Hi Gabriel! Just a quick update, so you don't think I have abandoned this thread completely. smile.gif

Speed Bursts - It is too fast for me. I can maybe do it at around 85% speed if I concentrate. But I honestly don't see the point with the bursts in this lesson, since it is played through at top speed once before the bursts start.

7th Arpeggios - I am getting rather comfortable with this one. The tricky bit is that the sweeping motion is broke up (since the 7th and the octave are played on the same string).

Alt/Sweep - As I mentioned before, this is difficult for a level 6 lesson. For me, the most difficult are the sweeping parts, especially moving from alternate to sweep and keep the flow. I can play each bar or each two consecutive bars at full speed, but not put them together.

Tasty - I haven't started with this one yet.

H4H

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:29 PM