How To Record A Base... Without A Base?, (If it's even possible...)
Fran
Feb 7 2008, 04:13 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Hi all,

I'm wondering if there's any way for me to add a base to my recordings, without having a real base, that is. tongue.gif

Is there any software that emulates a base like there's software that emulates the drums?

Or even better, is there any software that could convert the sound from my guitar into bass?, I would like to play the guitar and "hear" a base while I record. This might not even exist blink.gif , but just in case...

Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 7 2008, 04:20 PM
GMC:er
You can get bass patches that you play on keyboard if you have one. You can probably get a guitar to sound like a bass if you change the octave of the signal and play around with effects a bit.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Feb 7 2008, 04:31 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Software - you could use Melodyne or Antares to reharmonise the guitar down in pitch Fran. There are probably other software harmonisers as well (I'm pretty certain there's one in Protools).

There are also a number of bass emulation software programs from Spectrasonics Trilogy through to others that emulate/sample bass guitars.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Fran
Feb 7 2008, 04:47 PM
Organised confusion: No keyboard either sad.gif. I might look into changing the octave... would it be like going down one whole octave maybe? I have changed some backing in reaper from E to D... should I just change from E to E, a whole octave down? I don't know if it would be that easy, I'm afraid it won´t.

Tony: I'll look into those programs, hope they are easy to use unsure.gif

This post has been edited by Fran: Feb 7 2008, 04:49 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:

Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 7 2008, 04:49 PM
Yeah just change everything by an octave. You can do it in Sonar by changing the notes. Don't ask me how though lol as its our drummer who records everything. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 7 2008, 05:03 PM
Instructor
You can check out the Virtual Bassist. It is a good program for starters.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Feb 7 2008, 05:26 PM
Singing Instructor
well...playing bass in your guitar is posible..but only good way that I kan think of i s keybord(but that is out) and midi..
wath software do you use for recordings...as Ivan sad..Virtal Bassist is good..but there may be some bass guitars that come with the software you have,you just need to "draw" the music with your mouse on a midi panel(wich is a keyboard like)

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 7 2008, 08:17 PM
Instructor
You can basically take a bass sample and load it into any sampler, halio, battery... There's also a good tutorial on fuity loops on the site, and you get some out of the box samples for it. Try it, and keep us updated.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Feb 7 2008, 09:56 PM
Ok thanks guys, lots of ideas, I'll try some of them this weekend and see what happens cool.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Feb 7 2008, 11:25 PM
Instructor
any midi software you can do all instruments from drums/bass/keyboards and others

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Feb 7 2008, 11:57 PM
Instructor
The best bass software is to my opinion Spectrasonic Trilogy.
Very good samples.
But the soft is quite expensive.
You can check it out here. :-)

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 8 2008, 12:59 AM
Instructor
+1 for the trilogy, the best, but pricey smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Smurkas
Feb 8 2008, 01:07 AM
+1 for Trilogy, it's an excellent VST. It's so good I always end up using it instead of playing the bass myself biggrin.gif, go figure. Some software amps offer bass emulation so to speak. I know Amplitube 2 is supposed to have one but I just can't find it right now.
All they do I think is to add a pitch shifter and shift it down one octave in real time so you can hear the result when you're playing. It won't really sound like a bass but if you hide it in the mix maybe noone will notice wink.gif.

IK multimedia offer a 30 day free trial of all their amplitube products so you can head over there, download and give them a whirl. There is supposed to be a fake bass preset somewhere in there, a friend of mine used it on one of his recordings.

Oh and since I have Trilogy I can lay down a bass track for you if you tell me what you want on it and what BPM etc.

/Marcus

This post has been edited by Smurkas: Feb 8 2008, 01:08 AM

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Feb 8 2008, 01:14 AM
Singing Instructor
Trilogy..the best there is....whole world is using it....but in my expiriance only when you play him troug som midi keyboard...when you "draw".....well...it is hurder to controll...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kyle Logue
Feb 9 2008, 01:26 AM
Drum instructor
The way I do it is to use my GNX3. It has bass presets that drop the output an octave to make it sound like a bass.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 9 2008, 01:35 PM
Instructor
I used bass emulations on rp50 back in the good ol' days. It came out terrible, but if you set the preset nicely, you can have instant bass sound in decent quality.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Feb 9 2008, 02:08 PM
I'll try dropping out a simple guitar pattern one octave using audacity. Maybe that works. I'm not looking for high quality sound, just something that is OK for a simple recording with a simple drum backing + a simple bass.

If that doesn't work I'll check amplitube & trilogy.

Wonder if there's anything I could try with Gearbox?

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Feb 9 2008, 07:21 PM
Singing Instructor
what asoftware are you using...if it is a Steinberg platform(Cubase/Nuendo)...ther is programs standard bass guitar..and it will make you satisfied for the things you need....

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Feb 10 2008, 02:14 AM
I use gearbox + reaper.

I also use audacity sometimes, but not steinberg.

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Feb 10 2008, 04:03 AM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (Fran @ Feb 10 2008, 02:14 AM) *
I use gearbox + reaper.

I also use audacity sometimes, but not steinberg.

sory man can help you sad.gif ....nevere worked on Reaper or Audacity...

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 01:53 PM