3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Any Fellow Martial Artists?
ibanezkiller
Aug 9 2007, 09:27 PM
GMC:er
Just wondering if there is any fellow martial artists on GMC If so what style and what belt, and how long have you been taking it!?!

Im a 1st degree black belt, i practice Shotokan, and i have been taking it for 4 years... I teach kids karate and its the best job ever!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
METALLICA ROCKS!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 9 2007, 09:31 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (ibanezkiller @ Aug 9 2007, 10:27 PM) *
Just wondering if there is any fellow martial artists on GMC If so what style and what belt, and how long have you been taking it!?!

Im a 1st degree black belt, i practice Shotokan, and i have been taking it for 4 years... I teach kids karate and its the best job ever!!

Shotokan, I don't even know what that is laugh.gif

I'm just a "has been" since I quit practicing the noble art of self defense more than 10 years ago.

Still I keep the interest up and try to go see K-1 competitions when they appear here. That's appealing.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
ibanezkiller
Aug 9 2007, 09:34 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Aug 9 2007, 04:31 PM) *

It a style that was founded in Okinawa by Gichin Funakoshi...

--------------------
METALLICA ROCKS!

+Quote Post
fkalich
Aug 9 2007, 09:39 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Aug 9 2007, 03:31 PM) *

I'm just a "has been" since I quit practicing the noble art of self defense more than 10 years ago.

Still I keep the interest up and try to go see K-1 competitions when they appear here. That's appealing.

chalk up another has been. never did any competition, but I must say this, in college, in the living group I was in (50 guys), I was the only one who ever said "nobody has ever thrown me in the fountain", who did not end up in the fountain immediately after. I believed in backkicks and elbows, being no good, I liked keeping my guard up.

i have no doubt that the original poster of this thread could mop the floor with me.

+Quote Post
ibanezkiller
Aug 9 2007, 09:41 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Aug 9 2007, 04:39 PM) *
i have no doubt that the original poster of this thread could mop the floor with me.

HAHA... sounds like a good time!

This post has been edited by ibanezkiller: Aug 9 2007, 09:41 PM

--------------------
METALLICA ROCKS!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 9 2007, 10:15 PM
Moderation Policy Director
I did about a year of Shotokan in the UK, got to about 5th Qu, but didn't have the athletic ability or time to really make a go of it, had a lot of fun though smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
mygeetar
Aug 9 2007, 10:17 PM
im still doing karate right now i've done it for 3.5 years now and it takes ten years to get black so i got a ways to go dry.gif

--------------------
fenderbender

+Quote Post
wheeler
Aug 9 2007, 10:23 PM
I'm an 8th degree blackbelt in beerjitsu. mad.gif

+Quote Post
AudunESP
Aug 9 2007, 10:25 PM
i did judo once, think it was at 5th grade ,but at that time i was a real wimp, so i quit after getting pawned several times at judoclass XD

--------------------
Scales = some boring stuff thats totally unnescesary to create cool music, liek, if ur stupid.

+Quote Post
SEANCD2005
Aug 9 2007, 10:48 PM
IVE BEEN IN TAEKWONDO FOR FOR 15 YEARS AND BEEN STUDYING BRAZILIAN JUIJITSU FOR ABOUT 8 YEARS, DID ALOT OF TAEKOWNDO TOURNEMENTS UP UNTIL ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO THEN GOT INTO CAGE FIGHTING

+Quote Post
VinceG
Aug 9 2007, 11:04 PM
I thought i know Drunken Monkey once but I realized I was just drunk and didnt want to fall down.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
fkalich
Aug 9 2007, 11:05 PM
QUOTE (ibanezkiller @ Aug 9 2007, 03:41 PM) *
HAHA... sounds like a good time!

maybe for you it would be.

i got interested in it for both the physical fitness aspect, and the philosophical aspects. I had a few teachers who were fairly high minded, mentally elevated. And others who were as mindless as a drunk in a bar. If anything the sport just inflated their egos, rather than being used to overcome that, and mentally elevate them (which was its primary purpose). That is why I lost interest, not enough people that I respected were involved. But there were some.

edit: the stretches are very healthy. that was why this appealed more to me than yoga, I liked the athletic aspect. but there is a yoga teacher named Bryan Kest who teaches something called Power Yoga. You can get DVD's. It is VERY athletic, strength building. People who do that well look pretty similar to karate guys/gals, and are very limber, do the splits, things like that, that more traditional yoga does not include.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Aug 9 2007, 11:11 PM

+Quote Post
Xranthoius
Aug 9 2007, 11:08 PM
1st degree black belt in mixed martial arts, ive studied ty-quan-do, traditional karate, judo, and a couple other forms of martial arts. biggrin.gif

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image

+Quote Post
ibanezkiller
Aug 10 2007, 12:48 AM
QUOTE (mygeetar @ Aug 9 2007, 05:17 PM) *
im still doing karate right now i've done it for 3.5 years now and it takes ten years to get black so i got a ways to go dry.gif

What Style?

QUOTE (wheeler @ Aug 9 2007, 05:23 PM) *
I'm an 8th degree blackbelt in beerjitsu. mad.gif

Cool i took several of those classes along the way! lot of fun!

QUOTE (SEANCD2005 @ Aug 9 2007, 05:48 PM) *
IVE BEEN IN TAEKWONDO FOR FOR 15 YEARS AND BEEN STUDYING BRAZILIAN JUIJITSU FOR ABOUT 8 YEARS, DID ALOT OF TAEKOWNDO TOURNEMENTS UP UNTIL ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO THEN GOT INTO CAGE FIGHTING

Amazing ive hardly been alive for 15 years!

QUOTE (Xranthoius @ Aug 9 2007, 06:08 PM) *
1st degree black belt in mixed martial arts, ive studied ty-quan-do, traditional karate, judo, and a couple other forms of martial arts. biggrin.gif

Nice thats what im working twords ... new styles!

Its good to she the martial arts are still kicking around !!!

--------------------
METALLICA ROCKS!

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Aug 10 2007, 02:04 AM
I'm a Blue Belt/Red Stripe in Tae Kwon Do.....from years back.

I don't remember a single pattern now haha

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
XxLeviathanxX
Aug 10 2007, 02:07 AM
yeah bro. i'm a Sho-Dan black belt in Isshinryu. (been in it for 7 yrs) I've actually made it to the Isshinryu nationals and placed 3rd.

This post has been edited by XxLeviathanxX: Aug 10 2007, 02:09 AM

--------------------
RIP Dimebag-Heroes never die.

Xbox Live- ThePsYkoNXTdoor

13 on the field... 4-20 off the field.

+Quote Post
Rock
Aug 10 2007, 03:36 AM
QUOTE (ibanezkiller @ Aug 9 2007, 09:27 PM) *

I studied Tae Kwon Do for about 12 years. Obtained my 3rd Dan Black and was getting close to my 4th Dan but a knee injury, operation, and family got the better of me. Great sport, practiced a bit of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Worked out with Ralph Gracie a few times.

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Aug 10 2007, 04:19 AM
QUOTE (Rock @ Aug 9 2007, 09:36 PM) *
. Worked out with Ralph Gracie a few times.

Wow, thats cool. I "techniquely" do Tae Kwon-do but I really mainly take MMA classes. I absolutely love fighting as a sport and I enjoy the occasional brawl. But I haven't had one in a while sad.gif

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
ibanezkiller
Aug 10 2007, 05:42 AM
QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Aug 9 2007, 11:19 PM) *
Wow, thats cool. I "techniquely" do Tae Kwon-do but I really mainly take MMA classes. I absolutely love fighting as a sport and I enjoy the occasional brawl. But I haven't had one in a while sad.gif

the carnivals in town and fights are a plenty ... i tend to destroy so i dont get invited... i also need these hands for guitar...

I dont look for fights but when some body hits a girl that im friends with thats terrible... crime these days!!

This post has been edited by ibanezkiller: Aug 10 2007, 05:43 AM

--------------------
METALLICA ROCKS!

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Aug 10 2007, 01:24 PM
I did Kyokoshin in the age of 18 - 20 but then I moved to a smaller town and it wasn't available. Naybe 10 years ago I started Shotokan to get in shape again. Did that seriosly for 4 years. Unfortunatly I was into pure fighting but my club was into kata and kumitei so I just graded to green then I quit that part and just focused on fighting. It was awkward to go in a different direction so I got sick of it and quit. Went looking more into self defense but this is a small town and it's still not avalable anything that interests me, and now I'm to old for the pain. Ironically, after I left the club they changed their focus and are now very succesful internationally in fighting, with 2 juniors in top ten in the World Championship 2 years ago I think :/

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:01 PM