Under Rated Classics?
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 20 2012, 04:27 PM
Instructor
Hey guys! Sometimes I get surprised about some bands that have started their carrers a long time ago and at the same time of some of those names that are considered the most influential and important in rock music and maybe they are a bit underrated.

I was with my friends listening and enjoying how great Aerosmith is. They have lots of amazing songs and they keep their quality throw the years, even keeping their sound actual at every decade. Then I said... where did they started? how many years after Zeppelin? Why aren't they as respected as Zeppelin?

The thing that really surprised is that Zeppelin started in 1968 and Aerosmith in 1970. I knew that they were a very old band but not that much... Zeppelin released many albums in those years while Aerosmith realised their first album in 1975... but in the overall Aerosmith also did lots of great things.

I started this thread just because I found it curious... something similar happened to me when I checked the year that Running Wild started... they started in 1976 while Maiden started in 1975... why people doesn't name them as Metal pioneers??

Aerosmith in 1975.

Do you have any other example?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 20 2012, 04:42 PM
Instructor
I guess it's just the way the music produces reactions man smile.gif some has an incredible appeal from a huge mass of people and some a bit less, even if it's great nonetheless. LEdZEP had a mystical thing in their music mate, at least this is how I see it...Aerosmith is awesome indeed, but it doesn't have anything mystic..is that the reason...I wonder...?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 20 2012, 04:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 20 2012, 12:42 PM) *
I guess it's just the way the music produces reactions man smile.gif some has an incredible appeal from a huge mass of people and some a bit less, even if it's great nonetheless. LEdZEP had a mystical thing in their music mate, at least this is how I see it...Aerosmith is awesome indeed, but it doesn't have anything mystic..is that the reason...I wonder...?

yes, there is some magic around Zeppelin, the same happened with The Beatles, there is an extra value that makes them unique and bigger. But I still feel amazed about people doing the same in other parts of the world.. at the same time. Even more in those years when internet didn't exist and news and info took some time to travel.

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Mar 20 2012, 04:53 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 20 2012, 04:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 20 2012, 03:52 PM) *
yes, there is some magic around Zeppelin, the same happened with The Beatles, there is an extra value that makes them unique and bigger. But I still feel amazed about people doing the same in other parts of the world.. at the same time. Even more in those years when internet didn't exist and news and info took some time to travel.

I guess that those were the times when music was actually more important than marketing smile.gif right?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 20 2012, 04:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 20 2012, 12:55 PM) *
I guess that those were the times when music was actually more important than marketing smile.gif right?

sure! nowadays it seems that the name and pics from the bands comes after the music! but this doesn't mean that we don't have amazing music nowadays. I keep finding great songs and bands all the time.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 20 2012, 04:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 20 2012, 03:57 PM) *
sure! nowadays it seems that the name and pics from the bands comes after the music! but this doesn't mean that we don't have amazing music nowadays. I keep finding great songs and bands all the time.

You are absolutely right, it's just that, those were simpler times smile.gif less fuss on promo somehow biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Mar 20 2012, 04:58 PM

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 20 2012, 09:17 PM
GMC:er
Canned Heat, The Grateful Dead/Jerry Garcia, Steve Hillage.

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Mar 20 2012, 10:31 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator

Drone Metal, takes a very specific mind but its amazing how much is contained in so little.

EDIT

Did by classics you mean classic music? might of missed that lol

EDIT2

To the pioneers things, there were other bands like Angel Witch that started out early yet not a lot of credit is given to them, much like in the famous case of Anvil. Maiden, Priest, Sabbath, were considered Pioneers because they did something no one else ever and chances are they did it in a country no one had ever been too laugh.gif (especially Maiden)

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 21 2012, 01:08 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Mar 20 2012, 05:17 PM) *
Canned Heat, The Grateful Dead/Jerry Garcia, Steve Hillage.

I didn't know two of them... Only Grateful Dead.... thanks for the links!

QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Mar 20 2012, 06:31 PM) *

Drone Metal, takes a very specific mind but its amazing how much is contained in so little.

EDIT

Did by classics you mean classic music? might of missed that lol

EDIT2

To the pioneers things, there were other bands like Angel Witch that started out early yet not a lot of credit is given to them, much like in the famous case of Anvil. Maiden, Priest, Sabbath, were considered Pioneers because they did something no one else ever and chances are they did it in a country no one had ever been too laugh.gif (especially Maiden)

mmm I meant classic rock and classic metal... Angel Witch? I've never heard of them.. I checked one song at youtube and I can compare them with Maiden.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 21 2012, 01:30 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 21 2012, 12:08 AM) *
I didn't know two of them... Only Grateful Dead.... thanks for the links!

No worries Gabe! Check out Steve Hillage with a band called Gong and a later band called System 7! As for Canned Heat? Walter Trout played lead for them for years after he left John Mayall's Bluesbreakers!

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 21 2012, 12:08 AM) *
mmm I meant classic rock and classic metal... Angel Witch? I've never heard of them.. I checked one song at youtube and I can compare them with Maiden.

Angel Witch were around about the same time as Maiden, just never got the Record Company backing that Maiden did. Maiden got backing from EMI whilst most of AW's stuff was on small independent labels. There's a great CD of AW which is a 30th anniversary release that has the first LP and a load of demo versions on a second disc!I was going to include them on my first post but didn't think that enough people would have heard of them to make them 'influential'!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:11 AM