> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Kuenocks Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 25 2013, 07:28 PM
Instructor
Hi Kuenocks! Welcome to your Gab's Army thread!!

Could you please tell me a bit about you, your musical tastes, influences, strengths and weaknesses? I would need some videos of you playing rhythm and solo guitar, so please post your best material here. If you have some music or ideas of your own, also post them here. Also let me know how you think that I can help you and what are your expectations for our job. You can check the other Army's thread to discover the different modalities of this project.

The principles of our Army are:

+ Improve your technique
+ Make music and solos
+ Have fun
+ Destroy the enemy (hahaha not really just kidding... )

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kuenocks
Aug 26 2013, 11:51 AM
GMC:er
Hey Gabriel,

maybe first a bit about me. I have been playing guitar for 5 years now, but never really
tried to improve my technique. When i started in my first band it became clear that i wasn't good
enought for first guitar so i played second and then went into playing the Bass.
I have been playing Bass and Drums in Bands, but always very simple stuff and without teacher.
At one point i got into writing songs myself with Cubase which i own at students license. The main
point there was that i never played any instrument good enough to record it (exepct Bass maybe).
So i mainly relied on virtual Instruments. I posted my best finished song below, but its electronic stuff.

My general musical taste is really broad from hip-hop over rock to some classical stuff and electron/pop.
Guitarmusic i would list Rock and Punk as my most favorite genres. Sub genres of Rock that i like most
are Stoner-Rock and Southern-Rock with Bands like Queens of the Stoneage and Kyuss. I m also a big fan
of eric clapton.

My expactations are that you can guide me in finally learning guitar at an advanced/ intermediate level.
I feel like i am still not much more than a beginner, even if i play for such a long time.
Another goal would be writing songs and record them myself. Apart from my webcam, which is very crappy
my equiment to record is not that bad. (maybe more on that later)

I havent been recording any guitar stuff so i have nothing to show. Maybe we could start there and you
recommend some lessons, so i can record them.
I really would like to record a lot for the REC programm, but i really have trouble with getting the Video from
my Webcam and my Audiofile from Cubase in sync.

So much for now, i'm looking forward to destroy the enemy ;-)

Greetings Erik

https://soundcloud.com/kuenocks/galaxys-will-collide

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 26 2013, 04:59 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Cool story! I think that you must be a very creative musician, and that with some technique training and some knowledge about recording an mix you could create amazing music. I would really like to guide you in this process. Recording at least one rec take per week is the best way to train yourself as a guitar players and it will also train you in guitar tone development and mixing.

I think that a good first step would be to record that Sum 41 lesson again following the comments that I gave you at the REC thread.

What do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Kuenocks
Aug 26 2013, 05:46 PM
That sounds like a plan. My toughts were that you maybe can guide me to
a second take for the REC- programm.

First i would start off with a new Audio take and later try to produce an sycn video.
So i' m gonna start right off and try out some different sounds and mixes and upload them.

Thanks a lot Gabriel

Edit: So my take for today with a different tune and i put my guitar louder in the mix.
I'm not really satisfied with the playing, but i'm to tried to nail it today.
Maybe you could tell me if the guitar is to loud in the mix and if the tune is good.

https://soundcloud.com/kuenocks/sum-41-style-take-2

This post has been edited by Kuenocks: Aug 26 2013, 07:04 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 26 2013, 10:24 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, the mix is better now. Now we have to work on the tone.. what are you using to record your guitar?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Kuenocks
Aug 27 2013, 06:21 AM
Hey,

i record with Cubase 5.
My setup is Guitar -> Boss-Me 25 -> Steinberg CI2 -> USB
I own no good guitar plugin for Cubase so i got me the Boss-Me 25 for
effects.

Here links to equipment if you need to take a look:
CI2: CI2
Me-25: Me-25

I know some basics about the usage of equalizer and mixing in Cubase but have not yet used it for
my guitar recordings. Mostly because i was not sure about the goal of REC Programm. If you use a lot
of effects and stuff, in say Cubase, don't you mask to much of your playing to be judged afterwards?

By the way, i just got the Me-25 some time ago and haven't used much more than the presets.

This post has been edited by Kuenocks: Aug 27 2013, 06:23 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 27 2013, 11:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kuenocks @ Aug 27 2013, 02:21 AM) *
Hey,

i record with Cubase 5.
My setup is Guitar -> Boss-Me 25 -> Steinberg CI2 -> USB
I own no good guitar plugin for Cubase so i got me the Boss-Me 25 for
effects.

Here links to equipment if you need to take a look:
CI2: CI2
Me-25: Me-25

I know some basics about the usage of equalizer and mixing in Cubase but have not yet used it for
my guitar recordings. Mostly because i was not sure about the goal of REC Programm. If you use a lot
of effects and stuff, in say Cubase, don't you mask to much of your playing to be judged afterwards?

By the way, i just got the Me-25 some time ago and haven't used much more than the presets.

Hi mate, your equipment is ok for REC! I think that you have to experiment a bit more with you boss. Have you tried downloading patches?
Maybe you can use some patches as the starting point to build your own guitar sounds.

Here I found a link where you will find 100 patches for your Boss model:

http://guitarpatches.com/patches.php?unit=me25

Regarding mix for REC takes, it's ok if you just record your guitar (with a cool tone), equalize it a bit and mixdown it. Maybe you can add a limiter or some compression to give it a mastering but nothing to complex.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Kuenocks
Aug 31 2013, 10:47 AM
Hey!

I tried some sounds with my Me-25 and this is what i've come up with. Also did
some eq and compression in Cubase.
What do you think about the sound and the take in general, enough to pass
or still some more work to do? :-)

Greetings, Erik

By the way, i started working on the john frusciante style lesson. Guess thats
gonna be my next Rec take after Sum41.

https://soundcloud.com/kuenocks/sum-41-style-take-3

This post has been edited by Kuenocks: Aug 31 2013, 10:50 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 31 2013, 03:27 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Goo job!! Your playing is getting very tight! Well done.

Let's talk a bit about the sound. Your tone is much better now, and I think that with some EQ you will get a great sound. At first check this video that shows basic concepts about Guitar EQ:

and this is a bit more complex since it uses more than 1 EQ:

Please experiment with this and share your results here.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Kuenocks
Sep 6 2013, 04:35 PM
Okay so here for the next try ;-)
I tried to work some more on my timeing and of course Eq and mastering.

What do you think?

https://soundcloud.com/kuenocks/sum-41-style-take-4

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 6 2013, 04:49 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Well done! Your tone is getting better, I like both the EQ and the quantity of drive that you added. I can notice a flanger effect on your guitar, what do you think is causing it? Regarding your playing, I think that your timing is better on this take, however there is still room to improve it so keep on practising the overall lesson.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Kuenocks
Sep 7 2013, 11:14 AM
I used the Amp-Simulator in Cubase on top of my Me-25 to get a bit more gain.
My guess would be that the Amp simulator does add some flanger, which i can't turn
off separately. I will keep practising the lesson and i think i' m going to try a new rec take
next weekend. For a more sync video i'm going to work with a demo of sony vegas.

Also i'm going to record the frusicante lesson soon, so you could give me some feedback on that.
But i have to work some more on the timeing there ;-)

Some weeks ago i came across the thread about transcribing songs, in which you posted too
when i remember correctly. I never tought about this toppic before, but after reading the thread
i discoverd that it is a great weakness that i cant transcribe. When i wanted to play something i
just went looking for tabs. Maybe we could work on that too?
Would be really great if you could give me something to start off there.

Thank you very much Gabriel, i really enjoy you mentoring !!!
I have never been so motivated to get better with my guitar playing.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 7 2013, 09:47 PM
Instructor
Hey mate! I'm very happy of reading this! I also feel very motivated when students are enthusiastic and work hard to progress as musicians. I really enjoy the process. smile.gif

I think that maybe the problem with your tone is that you are using 2 amp emulations, one from your pedal board and another one from your computer. Could you please confirm me if this is the problem. There are two possible setting that you could try to get more gain and be sure that the results between them can be very different.

1. Using your Me-25 as the amp emulator and then just ad thee emulation of a pedal like Tube Screamer in your software. This would mean that you have to turn off the amp function in the software. You would get more drive, adding more drive from your pedal.

2. Using a pedal like tube screamer from your Me-25 but using the software as the amp emulator. In this case you have to turn off the amp emulator from your Me.

Let's try both options an post here short audio samples to check the tone and if we can avoid the flanger effect.

Regarding transcribing music, it's the best way to train your ear and to make a strong connexion between your mind and your guitar. So let's work on it here! We can choose any song and you transcribe it... what about using guitar pro for it?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Kuenocks
Sep 8 2013, 02:18 AM
I'm gonna try both settings later and post them via edit in this post. I'm used to guitar pro to
compose. At the moment i am using tux guitar, which is the open source version of guitar pro.
Any suggestions for a first try in transcribing ;-) ?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 9 2013, 01:28 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kuenocks @ Sep 7 2013, 10:18 PM) *
I'm gonna try both settings later and post them via edit in this post. I'm used to guitar pro to
compose. At the moment i am using tux guitar, which is the open source version of guitar pro.
Any suggestions for a first try in transcribing ;-) ?

This sounds great for me! There are lots of possibilities for starting, please post here 5 songs that you like.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Kuenocks
Sep 9 2013, 04:05 PM
Phew... pretty hard

Okay mabye i gotta start of with one of my favorite Bands, which is the
style i would like to compose in some far away future ;-)

Black Light Burns - The Moment You Realize You're Going To Fall

Very nice, very creapy Video.

So 4 songs left:

Eric clapton - Cocaine
sum41 - hell song
queens of the stone age - go with the flow
guns' n roses - paradise city

This post has been edited by Kuenocks: Sep 9 2013, 04:14 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 10 2013, 12:41 AM
Instructor
Nice choices mate. I think that Sum 41's song is good for starting, what about trying to learn the guitars of this song by year and write them in guitar pro?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Kuenocks
Sep 13 2013, 05:33 PM
Hey Gabriel,

so for today i got new takes for you ;-).

First a new take for the sum 41 lesson. I tried some more approaches for the tune
and best was like you said just distortion from me-25 and rest in Cubase.

https://soundcloud.com/kuenocks/take-5

Second, my first take for the frusciante style lesson:

https://soundcloud.com/kuenocks/take-1

Next Step i want to record them both for rec. But maybe you have some
suggestions on what i could work before that ;-)

I also tried to lear the hell song via ear, but i guess its to difficult for the first try.
Maybe i should start off with a clean guitar song with just one guitar in it. I'm going
to search something, tought about red hot chilly peppers.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 15 2013, 02:51 AM
Instructor
Hi mate! Thanks for your takes. As I said in another thread, I'm on tur with my band. I'll check your stuff on monday.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 16 2013, 08:03 PM
Instructor
Man! Let me say that I'm very proud of you and that your hard work give me a lot of inspiration. smile.gif

The tone improvement is gigantic in the Sum 41 lesson. That's definitely the way to go! It's clear, has the correct amount of drive, and a very well balanced EQ. Well done!! Your playing is also much better on that one. I think that you are ready to record a REC take for this one. These are some things to have in mind:

- Be sure to play the first riff tighter and try to pick every note stronger with your pick.
- Your palm muting (starting at 00:!2) should sound cleaner. Experiment with the palm of your right hand until you get a sound closer to mine in the lesson. By the way, a REC take will allow us (the instructors) to give you more detailed feedback about your right hand position.
- The same that I said for the first riffs goes for the melodies in the second half.

Regarding Frusciante's lesson, you are very close with this one. Let me share 3 thing that you should improve:

- Your bending technique. There are some bends that don't reach the correct pitch and I feel that you are not comfortable with them yet. Work on this technique.
- Pay attention to timing.
- Review your tone for this one, it could sound cleaner and warmer.

That's all! Let me know if you have any question. Keep on the great job!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:04 PM