Road Less Traveled, Jazz!
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 27 2011, 09:45 AM
GMC Founder
Have you ever ventured into jazz? First Check out Stephane's new lesson, "Chord Melody Workout: Major 7th", and then post a reply to today's topic.

If you play jazz, or have just taken a look into it, what do you find confusing or difficult about the style? Are there some basic tips or tricks you can recommend to getting started in this genre of guitar?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
quadrium
Jan 27 2011, 10:15 AM
Learning Tone Master
I really want to step into this area smile.gif It would be great to learn some basic tips.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post
mad
Jan 27 2011, 10:45 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
I don't have any tips, but what I find difficult are fast 4/5 finger chord changes. And the theory behind building jazz chord progressions confuses me.. I must get more into that..

//EDIT: typo

This post has been edited by mad: Jan 27 2011, 12:46 PM

+Quote Post
Bluesberry
Jan 27 2011, 12:40 PM
Learning Roadie
How to make jazzy chord progressions... that's the biggest issue for me. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Lester
Jan 27 2011, 01:14 PM
Learning Roadie
I think in Jazz it's important that you try to focus on the aspect you'e learning at that moment. There are so many sidepaths and area's in jazz that, as a beginner, you never heard of and it's easy to get caught up in reading all the theory but really learning nothing you can implemenent in your playing or just not learning effective as one could be.

Another important thing would be: having somebody who knows about jazz (obviously smile.gif )where you can ask any questions you have.

This post has been edited by Lester: Jan 27 2011, 01:14 PM

+Quote Post
Justin Myrick
Jan 27 2011, 04:12 PM
GMC Administrator
Hey everyone! This is definitely a "road less traveled" for me. Actually, its more like a "road I've never been on". I would be really interested if someone could give a good starting point. Jazz seems so enticing.

--------------------
About Me

Cheers,
Justin Myrick
GMC Administrator

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jan 27 2011, 04:54 PM
Instructor
The mystery to me is the counterpoint involved in playing most jazz. You have to deal with many voices, meaning a lot of harmony instead of a single melodic line.

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 31 2011, 03:58 PM
Instructor
What people often find confusing about jazz is the harmony, and how to keep up with it. This is not hard at all in fact, it's a no brainer, but it requires years of practice (same as everything else in fact).

If someone wants to learn jazz, he HAS to know diatonic theory inside and out, meaning: diatonic scale, chords and arpeggios. This is the foundation for jazz. With this knowledge one can start learning jazz.

Other than diatonic scale, there are numerous other scales used in jazz, and ones that are often in use and needed to master as well are harmonic minor, melodic minor, whole note, and diminished scale.

After that, one must start practicing all kinds of different harmonic progressions. By harmonic progressions, I'm not necessarily referring to only chord progressions, but ways how chords are being connected together, and rules for connecting them. Usually people neglect these things and use only simple 1-3 keys harmonies, but in jazz the focus is on changing keys a lot. To someone who didn't read about harmony theory this could sound very complicated, but in fact it is not. It's all very clear and straightforward once you start to get to know the rules and learn more and more of chordal combinations .

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Jan 31 2011, 04:00 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:52 AM