Zeppelin/page Theoretical Insights
kyuss
Jan 29 2011, 03:45 AM
GMC:er
i recently watched the song remains the same and came across this little jem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wewu45XSb00...feature=related

the part im specifically talking about starts at 5:30, when they go into the "if you're going to san Fransisco" cover
the vid gets cut off right in the middle but whats next is the famous jimmy page bow solo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmNHtWqcXqY...feature=related

my favorite parts have to be the transistion at 5:30 in the first vid and at 2:13 in the second video, i HAVEE to know what he's doing

i just find the transition and the chords in the solo so fascinating, everything about it, if anyone can give me just any bits of info they can pull from watching the vid i would really appreciate it, i want to be about to emulate the same crow stopping feel and spacey vibe. so what im looking for is kind of a breakdown of the scale or mode hes using and how hes using it (like which chords hes using and how) but anything would help me out

thanks guise. biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jan 29 2011, 04:24 PM
Instructor
It does sound like a violin! Kind of like apocalyptica with the distortion

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
JamesT
Jan 30 2011, 08:05 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
It's a strange (and very cool cool.gif ) coincidence that you mention that part at 5:30 in the first vid.
Believe it or not I wrote a song based on that very part way back when I was in school. That song is attached below.
The intro went something like this...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------0----------------------------------
---------0--------0-------0----------0-------------------------------0------------0--------------0-------------0-----------------------
------0--------0-------0---------0----------0-------------------0------------0--------------0----------------------0------------------
---2--------4--------5--------7---------5------4-----2------------------0------------2---------------------------------2---0---2-- ...
--------------------------------------------------------------3----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you listen to the attachment, you can hear that it really sounds quite different from what Jimmy was doing there, but I think
that the same kind of open stringed arpeggio (in this case Em) was going on in his playing. Of course then Jimmy goes off into another
world, but the very first part of this outtake from "Going to San Francisco" on Song Remains the same is what inspired the riff above. I thought it was an interesting coincedence that you mentioned it to. I think Jimmy's playing in that section was out of this world, especially his tone on this live album.

I presented the intro to one of my band mates and he came up with the lyrics which evolved a bit over time until the song ended up as recorded below. Give it a listen. There are some similarities but it's funny, even when you're inspired by someone elses playing, it usually will end up sounding somewhat unique and original by the time you work out the parts as you would want to play them. But why I ended up recording this with two acoustics panned left and right beats me. I always played it electric live.

[attachment=22859:01_No_Loves_Die.mp3]

This post has been edited by JamesT: Jan 30 2011, 08:10 AM

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:05 AM