2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Where are the females?
PickNGrin
Nov 15 2006, 03:05 PM
GMC:er
I know one female that has browsed this forum, Lorirocks from the MarcSeal.com forum. She just cant post because she hasnt signed up.

This question comes up on Internet guitar forums from time to time, and to my knowledge it has never been definatively answered.

Let's see if we can spawn discussion:

Why are there so few female guitar players?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Liam
Nov 15 2006, 07:10 PM
finally somebody with a good question !! biggrin.gif

I wanted to ask this too . but I was thinking , kris wil kick my ass rolleyes.gif

Are there many girls that play guitar . I dont know one .

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
xhernan
Nov 15 2006, 07:14 PM
I have seen a lot. It's not that they are not there i just don't think they like to show themselves on the intra web

+Quote Post
Liam
Nov 15 2006, 07:19 PM
maybe i should move to Arizona then . laugh.gif
and become guitar-teacher over there , wel wel this is not a bad idea .

+Quote Post
texasamp
Nov 15 2006, 09:21 PM
QUOTE (PickNGrin @ Nov 15 2006, 08:05 PM) *
I know one female that has browsed this forum, Lorirocks from the MarcSeal.com forum. She just cant post because she hasnt signed up.

This question comes up on Internet guitar forums from time to time, and to my knowledge it has never been definatively answered.

Let's see if we can spawn discussion:

Why are there so few female guitar players?

I've never seen this topic discussed on forums. If she can't type to register...
Who cares? Move on to another topic.

+Quote Post
Matt_Herd
Nov 15 2006, 09:37 PM
Most women, dont like metal/shred music..., most females i no hate guitar solos, and only like punk rock type of music.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 16 2006, 09:11 AM
GMC Founder
Well a certain percentage of female users is good for the over-all atmosphere (can it get better?? - some of you might ask wink.gif ).

Just as in real life I wouldn't want to be sorrounded only by males - even though I am an aplha- . blink.gif biggrin.gif

Seriously - I know we have some female gmc:ers it's just that they haven't registered on the forum.

--Kris

--------------------

+Quote Post
xhernan
Nov 16 2006, 09:39 AM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 16 2006, 08:11 AM) *
Just as in real life I wouldn't want to be sorrounded only by males - even though I am an aplha- . blink.gif biggrin.gif

Soon kris i shall be number one...

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE

HIGHLANDER!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 16 2006, 10:00 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (xhernan @ Nov 16 2006, 11:39 AM) *
Soon kris i shall be number one...
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE

HIGHLANDER!

biggrin.gif Be sure to update your avatar when you have made the switch. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
PickNGrin
Nov 16 2006, 02:24 PM
tongue.gif See, always gets a little discussion. I've heard the thoery that they are there, just not active in Internet forums proposed before. --Could be I suppose. They dont like heavy metal/shred music I have not heard before- I suppose that could be a reason, indeed, there are females at The Acoustic Guitar Forum, but still no where near as many as males.
How about....Why dont females like the 3 Stooges? Some do, but not nearly as much as men, --see, how do you explain that? I mean -who wouldnt like the 3 Stooges? blink.gif

Yeash..makes a guy wonder dry.gif ....Is guitar just a guy thing?...Like the 3 Stooges? and Beer and farting? huh.gif

tongue.gif biggrin.gif tongue.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
DanielM
Nov 16 2006, 07:15 PM
girls generally dont browse forums from what i can see. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Luciana Segovia
Nov 29 2007, 04:09 AM
Singing Instructor
wow! blink.gif

I found this interesting conversation about females.... laugh.gif

What do you think about it after a year of this conversation??? blink.gif

things change... ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Nov 29 2007, 04:56 AM
I know quite a few girl guitarists. One of them has a great finger picked style and an incredible voice. It does seem that most girl guitarists are into their punk music which is all good. Apart from Lori Linstruth of course biggrin.gif

Stream of Passion - Lori Linstruth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QtIE9-Pc80

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
fkalich
Nov 29 2007, 05:26 AM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 16 2006, 03:00 AM) *
biggrin.gif Be sure to update your avatar when you have made the switch. biggrin.gif

If I were you, I would do what the bars do, give away some freebees to members of the gentler sex.

I nominate her.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RbMNg5CfSRY

I emailed her telling her to do the next one without sunglasses so we can see what her eyes look like. She said she would, but she did not keep her promise. This was the 2nd one.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kPuC5ONu2AU

+Quote Post
Twibeard
Nov 29 2007, 07:46 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Nov 29 2007, 05:26 AM) *

+1 smile.gif I just love the way the wind-machine moves her hair ... smart woman wub.gif

--------------------

Guitar: Ibanez RG370DXCE my backup is a Fender Strat.
Amps: Marshall MG and Line6 Spider III 75W combo (preferred)

Recording stuff: Cubase SX3, Logic emagic, Novation ReMote SL, M-Audio Pro
Synth experiance: Roland, MoTu, Native Instrument, Spectrasonics and Steinberg
Main VST's: Kontakt2, FM8, Bass station, Ezdrummer, MoTu EI, Atmosphere, Crystall

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Nov 29 2007, 08:43 AM
Well, there still are too few shredding shiela's.. but that is fine. Their loss. sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 29 2007, 09:03 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Luciana @ Nov 29 2007, 04:09 AM) *
wow! blink.gif

I found this interesting conversation about females.... laugh.gif

What do you think about it after a year of this conversation??? blink.gif

things change... ?

Well who knows - perhaps this topic was the reason why it took ~1 year for the first girl to register here! sad.gif

Either way - we (the mods) watch very carefully for sexistic comments, to create a good atmosphere for female members. I don't know if we are there yet - but we have started to get some awesome female regulars! ( and you Luciana are one of them!) biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Nov 29 2007, 03:49 PM
Lets go fishing!
I think GMC has made every effort to be very welcomeing to female members. Both Admin and members.

It is a shame we dont have more, the ones we do have I love to see around but sadly they dont post so much sad.gif

Maybe the sheer volume of males makes it abit daunting !

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
rokchik
Nov 29 2007, 04:25 PM
The Dark Canuck
There are actually a few female members here at GMC. Not all of us are on the forum but there are a couple who do post on a regular basis. Others just like to stick to the lessons which is just fine.

What I find interesting is that this topic creeps up every now and again....why? Is it that big of a deal that there are women who play guitar and like to post on the forum from time to time? I just find it curious I guess that it's looked at in such awe. But then again I've been getting that my whole life as I'm more into sports then most of the guys I know (including my boyfriend). tongue.gif

However GMC is different from any other forum I've ever been on (I've only ever participated in 2 other forums besides GMC and both were awful experinces) Kris has made a community where everyone is welcome...pros, newbies, and people who just like to play. He's gone to great lengths to make sure the forum is a clean (no vulgarity or inappropriate comments) and friendly place for us guitar players to discuss anything and everything that intrests us. Plus you are encouraged to ask questions and the best part is no one jumps down your throut if it's a question that's been ask a million times, they just point ya towards the answer. Everyone is friendly and very helpful and the advice that is given is genuine and usually coming from someone with a wealth of knowledge. Not just some know-it-all with a laptop and nothing else to do. I've said this a million times I'm sure but I've learned so much from the forum. I find it just as useful as the lessons. It's just a cool place to hang out and learn.

Now as stated, not all the female members of GMC are on the forum but I'm sure not all the male members are either....but no one seems to make a big deal about that. (not trying to be rude or make a dig but it is true) For me I don't care if your male, female, pink with purple polk -a -dots or green, I just want to improve my guitar playing and talk about music and guitars with people who have the same intrests and I can learn from. I hope more women do join and post on the forum just cause it is nice to have other ladies to talk to about music. Plus getting the female perspective sometimes is a great help but just more people in general will be awesome and a true testimate to the great place Kris has created.

I can't speak as to why more women don't go on forums or even play guitar but I think it's fair to say that as this community grows and people see what a wonderful and informative tool this site is....also that Kris is going to great lenghts to make sure the forum is friendly to everyone....not just us ladies....you'll see more and more women joining. But that's just my point of view. Sorry kind of long.

rok

PS: I like the Stooges but the Marx Brothers were much better.

Oh and us ladies even have our own little corner of the forum for those who didn't know. It's not very active I know but hopefully that will change smile.gif Thanks again Kris!! I know you want to have a diverse community and you try very hard. You and your team deserve a lot of credit and I hope you know we apprciate all your hard work smile.gif

This post has been edited by rokchik: Nov 29 2007, 04:31 PM

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 29 2007, 08:03 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
QUOTE (rokchik @ Nov 29 2007, 07:25 AM) *
Now as stated, not all the female members of GMC are on the forum but I'm sure not all the male members are either....but no one seems to make a big deal about that. (not trying to be rude or make a dig but it is true) For me I don't care if your male, female, pink with purple polk -a -dots or green, I just want to improve my guitar playing and talk about music and guitars with people who have the same intrests and I can learn from. I hope more women do join and post on the forum just cause it is nice to have other ladies to talk to about music. Plus getting the female perspective sometimes is a great help but just more people in general will be awesome and a true testimate to the great place Kris has created.

That ones me rolleyes.gif

But yeah, you make a good point, some just don't post regularly, but their there, and Kris has done a fantastic job with GMC, he is a true idol for me wink.gif

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Nov 29 2007, 08:04 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:04 AM