2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Windows Vista/7 Install Fails
Darfuria
Jun 19 2009, 05:30 PM
GMC:er
I've now also run a chkdsk, just in case that resolved the issue - which, surprise surprise, it didn't.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Want a website for you or your band? http://www.websiteformyband.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Jun 19 2009, 06:00 PM
*cough**cough* buy a mac *cough**cough*

tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
Darfuria
Jun 19 2009, 06:27 PM
Oh, I wish...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 19 2009, 06:58 PM
Instructor
have you tried different power unit? I suspect power issue or mboard issue here...

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Jun 19 2009, 06:58 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Darfuria
Jun 19 2009, 07:35 PM
Not yet. I sort of want to rule out any easy/cheap options before I go spending lots of money on new PSUs and motherboards. Running out of options though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 19 2009, 10:23 PM
Instructor
Can't you just borrow PSU from some friend/family/other PC?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Darfuria
Jun 19 2009, 10:53 PM
Not easily, I'm afraid sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Jun 20 2009, 08:30 PM
I would suggest (if you have a backup elsewhere), formatting the entire hard drive and deleting all partitions including the 100MB reserve one that Win7 created on install.

Clean install a copy of Win7 (from elsewhere and another drive if possible - borrow or another computer that's working) - could be your DVD burner or reader is stuffed causing errors. I believe it will probably be just that!

Once installed (leave the backup off it) just check the stability of it without anything else affecting (this would prove is it hardware or software). Make sure no crashes, etc.

Update your OS and hardware fully including the bios (some bios have a fit with the newer Microsoft OS like Vista and some hardware compatibly unless updated), sound card, graphic cards (get updates from Nvidia), etc. Again wait a bit and check nothing freaked out.

Install a clean Virus Scanner and Firewall. Only then copy over the backup data and try re-download applications rather then installing from backup. (newer version, plus the backup maybe corrupted or infected)

Good Luck!

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
Darfuria
Jun 22 2009, 07:19 PM
It's unbelievable how difficult it is to get a decent copy of Windows 7 to my computer.

I'm unable to download it on my laptop. The download manager stops at 99%, regardless of restarting the download and leaving it for days.

No problem, I thought. I'll just burn the ISO I downloaded at work (which works at work) and transfer it across at home. So, I burnt it at 1x, and lo behold, copying it to my HDD, cycle redundancy error. Joys.

I'll try copying it to some mass storage device next, but this is unbelieavable.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jun 22 2009, 07:25 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Sounds like a real pain.

Cycle redundancy errors suggests that there might have a problem with the cd drive. Any chance that you can get some one else to burn the ISO for you and try that?

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Darfuria
Jun 22 2009, 07:48 PM
The ISO was burnt on my work machine - and I'm fairly confident that there is nothing wrong with that, given the amount of data I burn to disk. It's just when I got the disk home.

I suppose it could continue to point to a motherboard issue though. DVD drive is practically brand new, as it was one of the cheap components I could replace. Before replacing it, running live disks was very unstable, but now I'm able to run them with no issues.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jun 22 2009, 07:56 PM
The cycle redundancy error may not be due to a bad burn though but with your home pc not doing the check sum properly. Could be caused by something as simple as a dirty lens in the drive or, as you say something a bit more fundamental...

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Darfuria
Jun 22 2009, 07:58 PM
I'm just ripping the ISO from the disk from my girlfriend's laptop, to see if that works.

I'm so tempted to grab myself an Asus board and run a hackintosh...

Edit - disk read failed on my girlfriend's laptop too... enlightening, but not at the same time...

This post has been edited by Darfuria: Jun 22 2009, 08:01 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jun 22 2009, 08:06 PM
Sometimes a new pc is the best way to go. Now may be a good time with the i7s around so the prices of the previous generation intels have all dropped like a stone smile.gif . Or get a nice new i7 and lots of ram ready for Win 7 on 64 bit wink.gif .

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darfuria
Jun 22 2009, 08:32 PM
Don't have a huge amount of cash to splurge really. If I did, I'd just get a Mac and be done with it wink.gif

If I do buy anything new, I expect I'll build a hackintosh and use the XP license on this to build a WAMP/file server - as the XP installation functions fine. Not really sure why I'm even bothered about updating the OS, I like XP. I think it's more the fact that I know there is a problem, and I want to resolve it.

Just dumped my older Windows 7 install onto an external HDD and set it as an active partition, went through the NTLDR boot issues and got it to boot, only to have some .dll errors. Blah

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darfuria
Jun 24 2009, 10:46 AM
Well I finally fixed the issue, which is a massive relief!

I realised there was still something I hadn't tried. I knew I could install Vista without any problems - the problems only occurred when I tried rebooting. So I installed Vista and tried to upgrade to Windows 7 without rebooting. Alas, the installation failed, but I persisted. I decided to install service pack 1, all of the important updates, and some drivers, just to reduce the change of software failure.

Unfortunately things like drivers and Windows Update require an abundant amount of restarts. I must have cold-booted my machine a good 70 times, cycling between Start Windows Normally, Safe Mode and Last Known Good Configuration. Alas my plan was defeated by Windows Update getting stuck in a loop of disregarding the applied updates and rolling the system back. So back to XP once again.

However, during all of this I had my trusty netbook beside me, and managed to find a 3rd party application on the MSI forums, which not only formats a Flash drive to be booted, but detects your system board and downloads the latest BIOS for you. I was a bit wary at first, but the application had a lot of good feedback, so, what the hell, I went for it.

I managed to format the Flash drive and download the latest version of the BIOS through this application perfectly. I then cleared the CMOS and managed to flash the BIOS first time. I cleared the CMOS once again and rebooted. Set the BIOS to fail-safe defaults and ensured that drive 0 was plugged into SATA port 1 on the motherboard. I then booted the Windows 7 DVD that I burnt at a ridiculously slow speed and ran through the installer, and lo behold! The installation completed successfully first time!

It was about 2am when I finished doing this, so I'm not sure if I tried rebooting the machine, but I'm fairly confident...

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:43 PM