Do You Use A Notepad?
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 27 2014, 05:55 PM
Instructor
Hey guys! In the last months I've started to write the things that come to my mind and I'm having a really cool experience. I use notepads for this and take them every where. I write things that come to my mind, even when I don't really understand them or that apparently have no clear meaning. The result is that this helps me to be deeper, and to understand myself and the external things a bit more each day. These unclear ideas get clearer every date and gain sense sooner or later related with other ideas.

It's awesome how much inspired I've felt during this least months, there is an inner energy that appeared since I started to dedicate time each day to listen to my feelings. smile.gif

Do you do something similar? Have you thought about it?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Palacios
Feb 27 2014, 07:28 PM
Learning Roadie
Yes I do. Useually the notepad on my iPhone. I prefer to use my small paper notepad at work. It's so much easier to find solutions to problems when I think on paper, or as I call it, "brain vomit". Great topic.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 27 2014, 09:11 PM
GMC:er
I have a bunch of 'musical' (paper) notepads that I've been putting ideas down in for years.
I usually don't look back at them for several months or even a year maybe.
SometimesI find gold ... sometimes I rip a few pages out. Distance makes things a lot clearer for me.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 28 2014, 02:11 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Palacios @ Feb 27 2014, 03:28 PM) *
Yes I do. Useually the notepad on my iPhone. I prefer to use my small paper notepad at work. It's so much easier to find solutions to problems when I think on paper, or as I call it, "brain vomit". Great topic.

haha "brain vomit" sounds more like a Slayer song. hahah just kidding. That's exactly what I meant. Do you have any experience that you'd like to share about things written in your notepad that then helped?

QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 27 2014, 05:11 PM) *
I have a bunch of 'musical' (paper) notepads that I've been putting ideas down in for years.
I usually don't look back at them for several months or even a year maybe.
SometimesI find gold ... sometimes I rip a few pages out. Distance makes things a lot clearer for me.

Interesting. What type of stuff do you have? Lyrics? Exercises? Ideas? Tabs? Scores? Drawings?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 28 2014, 03:51 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 27 2014, 05:11 PM) *
Interesting. What type of stuff do you have? Lyrics? Exercises? Ideas? Tabs? Scores? Drawings?

Ideas, exercises, chord progressions, licks. Mostly notation and chord symbols but sometimes TAB.
Amp settings, pedal settings ...
I even make an index in the back of the notebook so that if I actually do remember that I worked on something or discovered something I can quickly look at the back of each book and see what I did.

Attached Image

Index page
Attached Image

This post has been edited by klasaine: Feb 28 2014, 03:53 AM

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Feb 28 2014, 09:04 AM
Learning Tone Master
I always write my ideas on paper. I have millions pieces of papers all over biggrin.gif In my purse you can find....(not girls stuff biggrin.gif ), strings, picks, 3 little notebooks: one for mix, one for video editing and photo set-up and one for various musical ideas (usual solo lines). Every day I found interesting things and tips for my experiments and write them down on notebook wink.gif I can't stop one day from my research. This thing makes me very tired lately.
But very often a lot of my musical ideas remain just on the paper. Unfortunately never find time for all.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 28 2014, 01:56 PM
Instructor
Meet Cosmin, the engineer smile.gif

I am very attached to my 2 notepads - one for music writing/practicing and one for business smile.gif I would be dead without them - to answer Gabi's question. I pretty much write ALL the time, everywhere and if I don't have them with me, whatever I will write into my phone goes in these notepads for safe keeping, developing and using smile.gif

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 28 2014, 03:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 27 2014, 11:51 PM) *
Ideas, exercises, chord progressions, licks. Mostly notation and chord symbols but sometimes TAB.
Amp settings, pedal settings ...
I even make an index in the back of the notebook so that if I actually do remember that I worked on something or discovered something I can quickly look at the back of each book and see what I did.

Attached Image

Index page
Attached Image

Awesome! Thanks for sharing the picture! I can see pure art in your paper mate, I like how you use spaces and how your writing looks. Also I find cool that the score lines have colors.

In addition, it's a great idea to add an index into your notepad, you are very clever mate. I consider very important to be able to get back to an idea as soon as your mind connects it with a new idea, or another one that you already had in another paper.

QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Feb 28 2014, 05:04 AM) *
I always write my ideas on paper. I have millions pieces of papers all over biggrin.gif In my purse you can find....(not girls stuff biggrin.gif ), strings, picks, 3 little notebooks: one for mix, one for video editing and photo set-up and one for various musical ideas (usual solo lines). Every day I found interesting things and tips for my experiments and write them down on notebook wink.gif I can't stop one day from my research. This thing makes me very tired lately.
But very often a lot of my musical ideas remain just on the paper. Unfortunately never find time for all.

What about applying the index concept that klasaine uses?

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 28 2014, 09:56 AM) *
Meet Cosmin, the engineer smile.gif

I am very attached to my 2 notepads - one for music writing/practicing and one for business smile.gif I would be dead without them - to answer Gabi's question. I pretty much write ALL the time, everywhere and if I don't have them with me, whatever I will write into my phone goes in these notepads for safe keeping, developing and using smile.gif

Nice! Thanks for sharing the picture and the experience. I also use my cellphone when I don't have my notepads, mostly when I'm going by bus. There is a nice app called "ColorNote" for Android. It's a very good looking notepad.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 28 2014, 03:23 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 28 2014, 06:05 AM) *
Also I find cool that the score lines have colors.

laugh.gif My score lines aren't actually in color. Somehow my scanner did that - ? Kinda cool.

*I do use different colored ink pens though.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Feb 28 2014, 03:25 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 28 2014, 04:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 28 2014, 11:23 AM) *
laugh.gif My score lines aren't actually in color. Somehow my scanner did that - ? Kinda cool.

*I do use different colored ink pens though.

hahaha I would consider get a notepad with colored lines... biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 28 2014, 05:32 PM
I'm thinking about it.
I bet they they have stuff like that for kids - ?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 28 2014, 08:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 28 2014, 01:32 PM) *
I'm thinking about it.
I bet they they have stuff like that for kids - ?

hehe maybe... biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 1 2014, 09:01 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 28 2014, 02:05 PM) *
Awesome! Thanks for sharing the picture! I can see pure art in your paper mate, I like how you use spaces and how your writing looks. Also I find cool that the score lines have colors.

In addition, it's a great idea to add an index into your notepad, you are very clever mate. I consider very important to be able to get back to an idea as soon as your mind connects it with a new idea, or another one that you already had in another paper.

Nice! Thanks for sharing the picture and the experience. I also use my cellphone when I don't have my notepads, mostly when I'm going by bus. There is a nice app called "ColorNote" for Android. It's a very good looking notepad.

Thanks for the tip Gabi - I'll try to find it right away wink.gif I used the Memo app that the Android comes with on the phone initially.

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Mar 1 2014, 10:09 AM
I do as well. Anything I learn and need to improve on I write it down. My hand gets sore writing laugh.gif Also songs I hear for the first time from a band that I have not heard off I write them down so I can check them out. smile.gif

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Mar 1 2014, 12:46 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 27 2014, 05:55 PM) *
Hey guys! In the last months I've started to write the things that come to my mind and I'm having a really cool experience. I use notepads for this and take them every where. I write things that come to my mind, even when I don't really understand them or that apparently have no clear meaning. The result is that this helps me to be deeper, and to understand myself and the external things a bit more each day. These unclear ideas get clearer every date and gain sense sooner or later related with other ideas.

It's awesome how much inspired I've felt during this least months, there is an inner energy that appeared since I started to dedicate time each day to listen to my feelings. smile.gif

Do you do something similar? Have you thought about it?

yes, I also use pencils

to early for humor

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 2 2014, 05:42 PM
Another cool thing about arranging ideas in a book (and it could just as easily be in a digital format) is that you can track your history and progress as a guitar player.
The examples I scanned and posted are just from one book, the latest one. I have probably five such books with starting and ending dates on the front cover. You can see that I even dated one of the individual examples.
If you do it digitally back up each entry into a dedicated drive of some kind - music ideas storage drive.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Mar 2 2014, 05:47 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 5 2014, 04:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Mar 1 2014, 08:46 AM) *
yes, I also use pencils

to early for humor

hahahaha tongue.gif

QUOTE (klasaine @ Mar 2 2014, 01:42 PM) *
Another cool thing about arranging ideas in a book (and it could just as easily be in a digital format) is that you can track your history and progress as a guitar player.
The examples I scanned and posted are just from one book, the latest one. I have probably five such books with starting and ending dates on the front cover. You can see that I even dated one of the individual examples.
If you do it digitally back up each entry into a dedicated drive of some kind - music ideas storage drive.

Good addition! tracking our progress is definitely another great use for notepads.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Mar 6 2014, 08:05 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 28 2014, 02:05 PM) *

This is a good idea, I will try Klasaine index concept wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 6 2014, 01:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Mar 6 2014, 04:05 AM) *
This is a good idea, I will try Klasaine index concept wink.gif

I will try it as well. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:10 AM