Downtuning Acoustic Guitar
Mertay
Apr 17 2016, 09:25 PM
GMC:er
A friend of mine who kept dragging me to the store finally bought his acoustic smile.gif Its a Mexican made Taylor that has a koa back, also bought an amp-a Marshall ASD100D. The amp was surprisingly suited for home usage, colors the sound but was pleasing to my friend.

The guitar was played a lot by the store guys there smile.gif whats interesting is it was usually downtuned by 2 frets (e string to d etc.) and had thick strings. Of course we tried it with standard tuning too but such tunning also gave the guitar a cool sound. Hard to explain, maybe not thicker but warmer but the change was more about slight character change. Not sure which he'll prefer as taking the capo on and off isn't ideal but was a nice experience for me.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Apr 17 2016, 09:41 PM
Learning Roadie
My cousin does a lot of acoustic covers of heavy songs and he uses a similar setup - pretty interesting smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Patrock
May 30 2016, 09:23 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 17 2016, 08:25 PM) *
A friend of mine who kept dragging me to the store finally bought his acoustic smile.gif Its a Mexican made Taylor that has a koa back, also bought an amp-a Marshall ASD100D. The amp was surprisingly suited for home usage, colors the sound but was pleasing to my friend.

The guitar was played a lot by the store guys there smile.gif whats interesting is it was usually downtuned by 2 frets (e string to d etc.) and had thick strings. Of course we tried it with standard tuning too but such tunning also gave the guitar a cool sound. Hard to explain, maybe not thicker but warmer but the change was more about slight character change. Not sure which he'll prefer as taking the capo on and off isn't ideal but was a nice experience for me.

The lowest i usually go with electrics is drop open C, but i once dropped my old nylon string to standard B for a while!
It wasn't the best, but it was fun and i could make riffs sound warm and relaxing very easely.
I reccomend it if you have a nylon you don't use much laying around tongue.gif (and ofcourse you can correct it with a capo to go back to E std.)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:51 PM