> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Rhida's Music Journey, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 12 2014, 08:13 PM
Instructor
Hi Rhida! Welcome to your custom thread for Gab's Army! In this thread I will help you to design your guitar routines to achieve your wished goals.

At first, I would need to know more about you. Please tell me all the things about you that you think can help me during this journey. This are some questions that I'd like to know.

- How many time have you been playing guitar?
- Favorite guitarists, bands and musicians.
- What are your guitar goals?
- How would you like to you see yourself in 5 years (related to music and guitar)?
- How many time can you play guitar each day?
- Do you have playing live experience?
- Which are your strong and weak points with guitar?
- Can you record videos of you playing?
- Share here audios and videos that you've recorded.

That's all! Sorry if this seems to be an interview but the more I know from you, the most precise this workout will be. smile.gif

I hope that you enjoy your stay at Gab's Army!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Oct 22 2014, 07:49 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rhida
Jul 12 2014, 09:22 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 12 2014, 07:13 PM) *
Hi Rhida! Welcome to your custom thread for Gab's Army! In this thread I will help you to design your guitar routines to achieve your wished goals.

At first, I would need to know more about you. Please tell me all the things about you that you think can help me during this journey. This are some questions that I'd like to know.

- How many time have you been playing guitar?
- Favorite guitarists, bands and musicians.
- What are your guitar goals?
- How would you like to you see yourself in 5 years (related to music and guitar)?
- How many time can you play guitar each day?
- Do you have playing live experience?
- Which are your strong and weak points with guitar?
- Can you record videos of you playing?
- Share here audios and videos that you've recorded.

That's all! Sorry if this seems to be an interview but the more I know from you, the most precise this workout will be. smile.gif

I hope that you enjoy your stay at Gab's Army!

Hi!
I've been playing on and off for more than 20 years but I decided to take my guitar playing seroysly only a few months ago as I 've just turned 40.
I like a lot of guitar players Slash Gary Moore Yngwie Satriani mainly guitar players with a good Technique and a good sense of melody.
I want to be able to express myself like my heroes.
In 5 years I would like to write my own music and perform it with a band.
I can play at least one to two hours a day everyday.
I am a head school teacher and I ve played easy acoustic songs in front of my pupils and their families (100 people 2 weeks ago).
I am not sure of my strong points but I would say my picking hand a good sense of rhythm and a lot of dedication
My weaks spots are mainly my fretting hand which built a lot of tension when I am playing and I am new to legato and sweep picking also.
My phrasing needs some work too.
I can manage to record some videos of myself.
And I will upload regularly some pieces in mp3 format for sure.

I already enjoy joining this army.
Thanks a lot.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Rhida
Jul 13 2014, 12:36 AM
Actually 2 hours a practice per day is definitly doable!☺

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 13 2014, 04:43 PM
Instructor
Excellent! Thanks for the info. I think that this first week we could start with a routine that covers different techniques every day. The topics that you could work are:

Warming up (10 minutes)

Alternate Picking (20 minutes)

Legato (20 minutes)

Bending (20 minutes)

Vibrato (20 minutes)

Creative Stuff: Jamming over backing tracks, composing, playing along with songs, etc (20 minutes)

Let me know what you think of this plan and then I will fill the topics with suggested GMC lessons. Please also share here some lessons that you like from the site that cover these topics.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rhida
Jul 13 2014, 05:12 PM
Excellent!
Just what I need.

+Quote Post
Rhida
Jul 13 2014, 06:02 PM
I checked some lessons

These ones seem very interesting
Legato
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Land-Of-Legato/

Bending
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Classi...ing_Techniques/

Vibrato
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Vibrato-Odyssey/

For alternate picking I forgot to tell you that I do it only one string and when I change strings I pick in the same direction as the directional string change (economy picking, cross picking or directional picking I 'm not sure of the name). It seems to work better for me that way and I can adapt the exercises.

For the other topics I will let you make the suggestions.

I am on vacation for the next 5 weeks so I can easily add 20 mins of practice for some metal rhythm like
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...c-metal-rhythm/

What do you think?

Thanks

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 13 2014, 07:04 PM
Instructor
Great stuff Rhida! smile.gif

So, the routine for this week could be:

Warming up (10 minutes)

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Picking-Arpeggios/

Alternate Picking (20 minutes)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Altern...king-Workout-2/

Legato (20 minutes)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Land-Of-Legato/

Bending (20 minutes)

Vibrato (20 minutes)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Vibrato-Odyssey-5/

(We start with part 5 of these series because it covers the most used vibrato, then we can go for the other parts)

Metal Rhythm (20 minutes)
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...c-metal-rhythm/

Creative Stuff: Jamming over backing tracks, composing, playing along with songs, etc (20 minutes)

What do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rhida
Jul 13 2014, 07:57 PM
Here we go!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 14 2014, 03:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Rhida @ Jul 13 2014, 03:57 PM) *
Here we go!

Great! Enjoy the journey! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rhida
Jul 16 2014, 06:34 PM
Ok.
I decided today to keep a sort of"diary" of my journey after 3 days of practice.
Warm-up : good massages to keep the blood going in the arms and fingers
Picking arpeggios : I still struggle with some chords position bur it will come with time. Must take it easy with fingers and left hand relaxed
Alternate picking : almost halfway through it at half speed
Legato : this one is causing me trouble but today I found that my index finger and thumb were using a lot of wasted strength. I must keep an eye on those!
Bending : what a good solo! Must keep these bendings on pitch with the help of the other fingers
Vibrato : excellent workout! It hurts but God it feels good! I finally know how to practice vibrato
Rhythm : good workout for the right hand. Alternating between muting strings and not is not easy but I will manage it.

Bottom line : keep everything under control, don't rush it, be aware of how the body feels at any moment (arms, shoulders, fingers,.., find the right spot.
Relax, control et be on pitch!

Thanks Gabriel for the routine. Not always easy but I will find a way to manage it.
See you!
P.S.: I will not be able to attend the chat unfortunately. Next time!

This post has been edited by Rhida: Jul 16 2014, 06:35 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 16 2014, 10:17 PM
Instructor
Hi Rhida! Thanks for this diary. It helps me a lot to see how you are feeling each exercise and it's also useful to have a reference for now and for the future about your practice and progress. It's really interesting to get back to our diaries where we write down goals, things that we are practicing and the stuff that is giving us trouble.

Remember these two goals, a least once a week. We are going there! wink.gif

I want to be able to express myself like my heroes.
In 5 years I would like to write my own music and perform it with a band.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rhida
Jul 18 2014, 05:08 PM
A little update on my practice.
I don't want to fall in the old trap "over-analysis/paralysis" but that's where I am today and why I never really progressed on the instrumen after all these years of malpractice.
Here are my observations

My fretting hand is weak, I have poor little independance and I built a lot of unnecessary tension.
I don't know the right amount of pressure to apply on the fingerboard.
Sometimes too much sometimes less it's not constant. I play veerryyyyy slowwwlyy and yet it continue to appears.
Legato is quasi impossible (the hammer part) cause I noticed too much pressure from my index and my thumb even hurts. When I concenrtrate on that it is my middle or ring finger that causes the pressure and my pinky is almost paralysed and I cannot hammer on time.
The same goes with my alternate picking exercise cause my thumb want to jump over the neck and not stay behind it. My thumb is not stable and push hard against the neck. This habit comes from my early years when I wanted to be a Hendrix-SRV clone.
I am concscious of the tension in my entire body but it all comes from my fretting hand.
I even have the Jamie Andreas book and DVD and I studied them but with no results.
Today I feel a little lost and I can't help but think that I should relearn it all as a beginner to get rid of these bad habits.
Yes Gab, I need your help.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 18 2014, 10:46 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Relax! This is not as dramatic as you think, enjoy this journey that will take your whole life if you love music and guitar. I've played for more than 20 years and I continue improving my playing every day. It's an endless and amazing journey. smile.gif

I have one important question, do you have a video camera or webcam?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rhida
Jul 20 2014, 03:04 PM
Hi Gab
Just figured out the video system with reaper and youtube channel
Here's a video with my attempt on the vibrato lesson.
Hopefully others will come soon.
Been working a lot on relaxing my fretting hand (and no more sqeezing with my thumb and index finger!)
Anyway thanks for the support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzTp2s-z1Ew...eature=youtu.be

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 20 2014, 06:25 PM
Instructor
Hi Rhida! Good job with this video, audio and playing! It's great to see you ready to start uploading video regularly. It's a very good addition to your practice. Remember that recording yourself is the best way to judge your playing, to see the things that need improvement and to monitor your progress.

I think that you are working very good on your bending technique. This lesson is a great exercise and I think that with some more practice you will be able to play it more consistent. Sometimes the movement is not totally regular, and I think that you lose a bit the groove when you play the faster ones near the end of the lesson. I would alternate the practice between playing with over the lesson and over the backing track to be sure that you play it tight and consistent.

Keep on the good job!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rhida
Aug 6 2014, 12:58 PM
Hi Gabriel,
a little update on my practice routine.
I can play the arpeggios at 70 bpm, the alternate picking etude at 100 bpm, the rhythm exercise at 100 bpm. Only increasing the tempo when I feel relaxed and in control especially with my fretting hand.
Legato is a big challenge but I will get through it with time and perfect practice.
I still work on my vibrato lesson refining it although I passed it in the rec section.
My bending technique is not constant I work a lot to get my bends on pitch and using my wrist instead of the fingers.
Phrasing has become my big short and long term goal and hopefully I will nail that solo soon!
I joined Todd's bootcamp to work on my picking hand too.
As always a lot of work with a lot of struggling but a lot of fun!
I might give the collab a try too.

See you bro!

This post has been edited by Rhida: Aug 6 2014, 12:59 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 6 2014, 05:11 PM
Instructor
Hi Rhida! How are you?

Thanks for this cool update. I can notice that you are very focused and working hard. That's the key! Keep on working in this way and be sure that you will note big improvements in the next weeks/months. It's good to focus on making the lessons sounds good instead of fast. You should first be sure that you are playing everything with the correct groove, dynamics and feeling before trying to reach the tempo suggested by the lesson. Once you can play the lesson at an average tempo but well played, you can work on bursts to gain speed.

For bending, I recommend you to incorporate 10 minutes every day, practicing this simple exercise:

It's a killer workout that doesn't require to be played for lots of hours, it must be played some minutes every day. After some weeks, you will notice that your bending will become much more precise.

You said: "Phrasing has become my big short and long term goal and hopefully I will nail that solo soon!"

What are you working for it?

Another question, do you have any video playing the legato lesson?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rhida
Aug 6 2014, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the link. I will add it to my practice.

I was talking about this solo.

For the legato lesson I am playing it quarter notes at 120 bpm.
I am taking my time with it trying to play it very relaxed.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 6 2014, 05:38 PM
Instructor
Ah! the bending lesson, yeah, it's excellent to develop your phrasing and many expression aspects. I just gave you feedback at Blues Rock Collab, please check it out and let me know if you have some questions about it.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rhida
Aug 6 2014, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the feedback and the support.
I know what to emphasize in my practice routine.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:15 PM