2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Need More Oppinions, Boss BR-1600
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Dec 10 2007, 02:08 AM
Learning Rock Star
Ok, so the BR-900 is a no-no.. but how bout the Boss BR-1600? it has 8 XLR inputs. Would this be ideal for recording our band. Btw it wouldnt be at a concert, but in a basment/garage. Oppinions please smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

But still I want answers, what's the point, what does all this mean?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 10 2007, 01:35 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well with 8 xlr inputs you can make make a very good live recording..And this gadget looks great to me , and very fun also smile.gif
If you need it to make some good live recordings of your band it will probably do the job very well..

Thats for the portable solution..Maybe it would be cheaper to buy a professional sound card (with 8 inputs) and take your PC downstairs and record that way.. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Bogdan: Dec 10 2007, 01:39 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 10 2007, 05:50 PM
Instructor
Just how much is the cost of that Boss device?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Dec 10 2007, 10:08 PM
Learning Rock Star
It costs 1000 dollars .. but if we werent to use this then what SHOULD we use?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Dec 10 2007, 11:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Stevie·Ray·Vaughn @ Dec 10 2007, 11:08 PM) *
It costs 1000 dollars .. but if we werent to use this then what SHOULD we use?

Another way would be to buy a mixer with 8 or more XLR inputs and a recording software like Cubase and then plug the mics to the mixer and have the mixer go to your computers line in input. smile.gif

-Toni

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 10 2007, 11:26 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
How professional do you want it to be? We bought a Zoom H2 for the band ro record rehearsals and it sounded surprisingly good! Comes loaded with mikes picking up sound from all directions.

I'll see if I can make an example sound.

This post has been edited by MickeM: Dec 10 2007, 11:58 PM

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Dec 11 2007, 12:02 AM
Learning Rock Star
alright let me hear it once you get it up MickeM. How much is the Zoom H2 though?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 11 2007, 12:07 AM
Instructor
1000 green ones? Man, you really don`t need to spend that kind of money on a toy that will get old in two years in terms of technology that it uses. For that money you can buy 8 shure sm57\sm58 mics couple of cheap overheads and a mixer, maybe even a used vocal boxes and do a decanet work on a computer.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
RobM
Dec 11 2007, 12:19 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Stevie·Ray·Vaughn @ Dec 9 2007, 08:08 PM) *
Ok, so the BR-900 is a no-no.. but how bout the Boss BR-1600? it has 8 XLR inputs. Would this be ideal for recording our band. Btw it wouldnt be at a concert, but in a basment/garage. Oppinions please smile.gif

Tonymiro has taken the time to write a few articles on this site that pretty much covers everything you would need to know about getting started and recording your own music. Search on his name and you will see what I mean. There is also a thread that I started by asking some questions and Tony and Adnrew got heavily involved in answering me and helping me out quite a bit. Search on me or by the topic: which way to go with recording for a novice. Happy hunting and good recording, make sure to upload your song(s) when you get it recorded to the members only upload area so we can all hear it.

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 11 2007, 12:32 AM
QUOTE (Stevie·Ray·Vaughn @ Dec 11 2007, 12:02 AM) *
alright let me hear it once you get it up MickeM. How much is the Zoom H2 though?

This was recorded with the H2 standing in the rehearsal room, just randomly placed so some time to study where it picks up sound better will make for a better result.
It costed us 1995 Swedish kronor.

I just cut out a couple noodling parts
Attached File  Mr_C.mp3 ( 2.01MB ) Number of downloads: 132

This post has been edited by MickeM: Dec 11 2007, 12:35 AM

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Dec 11 2007, 01:13 AM
Learning Rock Star
At MickeM: Any idea how much that Zoom H2 would be CDN or US dollars?

At Ivan: Could you show me an example of a decent mixer to purchase?

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 11 2007, 06:29 AM
QUOTE (Stevie·Ray·Vaughn @ Dec 11 2007, 01:13 AM) *
At MickeM: Any idea how much that Zoom H2 would be CDN or US dollars?

No idea.

+Quote Post
Twibeard
Dec 11 2007, 08:00 AM
I would go for something more versatile if I was you. If you got a spare PC you could get something like this:
http://www.music123.com/PreSonus-FIREPOD-S...126301.Music123
It will include Cubase SE, good studio mics and nice studiomonitors for mixing correctly to Pro quality and ofcause the very-lownoise FirePod recording interface is included: http://www.music123.com/PreSonus-FP10-Fire...368483.Music123

You can stack 3 of these if you need 24 inputs in the future.

Then you got all the goodies for making a professional recording and mix CD - print ready cool.gif

If you want a "direct track" machine like the Boss1600, there are other options aswell, look here for a start:
http://www.music123.com/Recording-Packages...ording.Music123

Cheers
Peter

Edit: added a picture

This post has been edited by Twibeard: Dec 11 2007, 08:40 AM

--------------------

Guitar: Ibanez RG370DXCE my backup is a Fender Strat.
Amps: Marshall MG and Line6 Spider III 75W combo (preferred)

Recording stuff: Cubase SX3, Logic emagic, Novation ReMote SL, M-Audio Pro
Synth experiance: Roland, MoTu, Native Instrument, Spectrasonics and Steinberg
Main VST's: Kontakt2, FM8, Bass station, Ezdrummer, MoTu EI, Atmosphere, Crystall

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Dec 11 2007, 07:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Twibeard @ Dec 11 2007, 09:00 AM) *
I would go for something more versatile if I was you. If you got a spare PC you could get something like this:
It will include Cubase SE, good studio mics and nice studiomonitors for mixing correctly to Pro quality and ofcause the very-lownoise FirePod recording interface is included: http://www.music123.com/PreSonus-FP10-Fire...368483.Music123

Then you got all the goodies for making a professional recording and mix CD - print ready cool.gif

If you want a "direct track" machine like the Boss1600, there are other options aswell, look here for a start:
Cheers
Peter

Yes, I agree with Peter, instead of buying that Boss, I think you should buy something like this instead, 'cause the Boss has limited possibilities when compared to this kind of solution smile.gif But this is just my opinion.
-Toni

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 11 2007, 07:57 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Twibeard @ Dec 11 2007, 08:00 AM) *

Cheers
Peter

Wow recording package looks great , you get 2 mics , monitors , stands and everything...This thing is worth considering!!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 11 2007, 08:05 PM
Instructor
Yeah,this Presonus is probably good solution atm. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Dec 11 2007, 10:22 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Twibeard @ Dec 11 2007, 07:00 AM) *

Cheers
Peter

That looks worth considering, you get the whole shabang. And to the rest of you, thank you for all of your oppinions, ill talk to my bandmates and see what they think of these ideas, thanks again! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Dec 12 2007, 01:00 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Presonus generally produce good kit StevieRV. Check the user forums about compatibility as firewire and usb audio devices (especially if you're using a laptop) often have some issues. At a later stage you may need wordclock but I don't think that's going to be an issue for a long time. Have to say though that I think the mics and monitors in the package deal will be ok in the short term but you may outgrow them pretty quickly - the mics particularly - but still a good value package.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Twibeard
Dec 14 2007, 07:32 PM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Dec 12 2007, 01:00 AM) *
Presonus generally produce good kit StevieRV. Check the user forums about compatibility as firewire and usb audio devices (especially if you're using a laptop) often have some issues.

I use the PreSonus FP10 on my Dell inspiron 9300 laptop. NO problems here.

By the way, I was told that music123.com no longer sends items internationaly, so after some detective work I found an European online low-price site that delivers worldwide: http://www.playback-europe.com/presonus-fp10-22401.html
(396 Euro eks. VAT) it also includes CuBase LE4 (48 tracks), 25 VST plugins and 2GB drum samples. Not bad. To compare: the prise is twice that here in Norway blink.gif laugh.gif dry.gif

Edit: some typo

This post has been edited by Twibeard: Dec 14 2007, 08:16 PM

--------------------

Guitar: Ibanez RG370DXCE my backup is a Fender Strat.
Amps: Marshall MG and Line6 Spider III 75W combo (preferred)

Recording stuff: Cubase SX3, Logic emagic, Novation ReMote SL, M-Audio Pro
Synth experiance: Roland, MoTu, Native Instrument, Spectrasonics and Steinberg
Main VST's: Kontakt2, FM8, Bass station, Ezdrummer, MoTu EI, Atmosphere, Crystall

+Quote Post
JasoninOhio
Jan 14 2008, 04:28 AM
I have a Boss 1600. It is actually a really good machine. It comes equipped with all sorts of effects, drum machine, bass track, tuner and it has virtual tracks as well as the hard lines. It has a pitch fix feature that allows you to single out that not-so-in-tune vocal/instrument and repair it without bothering anything else. The interface is realatively easy to use but, downloading is a bit confusing at first. You can also import files and use them in your own stuff, although I haven't tried that. It also has an onbaord CD burner as well. I have recorded some stuff that sounds almost studio grade and I haven't really tried very hard to cut a "pro" recording. Granted, it is a bit expensive but, I think for the money, it is a pretty good buy.

Hope that helps!

--------------------
My gear includes:
An acoustic Alvarez RD20CU
An electric Ibanez GR10
An electric Yamaha-on loan to my younger brother
Another electric Ibanez-I don't play it much
And an electric Kramer-in pieces awaiting another paint job (this is year 7 I believe)
Peavey Renown 212

And some various pedals as well as a BOSS BR1600 studio.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:46 PM