2012 Macbook Pro Vs 2019 Macbook Pro
Todd Simpson
Oct 19 2019, 05:58 AM
GMC:er
The 2012 Macbook pro is still being used by pros all over the world despite the fact that they are pretty ancient in terms of tech. Tech happens in Dog Years these days. When I went to shift away from the Mac Pro Tower and towards laptop based production, I did a LOT of research and to my shock, folks were buying old 2012 macbook pros and adding wads of ram, a big SSD, new battery and new internal fans. which is what I did. I got an old 2012, put in 16gb of ram, and a terabyte ssd. It cost about one third of what the new starter unit macbook cost. It's the centerpiece of my home studio. If you are thinking about trying a mac in order to run LOGIC X (the only reason to own a mac IMHO) you can get a 2012 for a few hundred bux, add ram and SSD for a few hundred more and have a rig that can keep pace with macbook pros that can't be upgraded and cost thousands more.

Here is a guy doing 4K video editing on a 2012 macbook pro.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 19 2019, 06:00 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 19 2019, 05:20 PM
Instructor
That's very interesting! I think that newer Macbook pro are overpriced, don't you think so?

I have an old Macbook Pro, I think that it's 2012 or 2013. I did't know that I could add a SSD and more Ram to it... I wonder if it makes sense to try Logic. I've been using Cubase for a long time. I like the software but it has two cons:

It's expensive and updates also are, comparing it with Logic.
I hate Ilok. If you loose or forget it, your tour can become a nightmare.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 19 2019, 09:32 PM
GMC:er
YES!!!! CRAZY OVERPRICED!!!! Also, you can't upgrade them!!!! You have to buy it with all the ram and hard drive you will ever want which means paying three times the price that you would pay to just buy regular ram and hard drives. My 2012 will do real time audio capture with plugins like overloud at 6milliseconds round trip latency (inaudible) while capturing full HD Video at the same time!!! This is how I make all of my videos.

As for your 2012, it will accept up to 16gb of ram (which is more than enough and fairly cheap) and you can put 2 SSD drives in if you like, you can use the optical drive bay for one of them. I added a Terabyte SSD drive and 16GB ram to my 2012 and it's been fast as heck!!!

I LOVE LOGIC X. It's the best DAW I've ever used and comes with tons of free plugins, free Midi libraries, Free VSTs, Free audio Samples, etc. NO ILOK!!! It's only $200 and it's got $1000 worth of VST/Sample Libraries/Midi Tracks/etc.

Todd

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 19 2019, 12:20 PM) *
That's very interesting! I think that newer Macbook pro are overpriced, don't you think so?

I have an old Macbook Pro, I think that it's 2012 or 2013. I did't know that I could add a SSD and more Ram to it... I wonder if it makes sense to try Logic. I've been using Cubase for a long time. I like the software but it has two cons:

It's expensive and updates also are, comparing it with Logic.
I hate Ilok. If you loose or forget it, your tour can become a nightmare.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 19 2019, 09:34 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:22 PM