2 Pages V   1 2 >  
New Blues Collab, FINAL MIX AND COMMENTS
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 15 2008, 01:55 AM
Instructor
Guys, I don't know how to say to you, but I formatted the hard drive and, there is no project, no backings and I can't do the collab......

JUST KIDDING! laugh.gif

The final mix is over, but it's 2 o clock in the morning and I REALLY can't go on. I'll do the comments and upload the final mix first thing tomorrow morning I promise!

All I can tell you is this is one MONSTER collaboration - 21 participant and almost 18 minutes long (!), and I am glad you all participated, and such a pleasure hearing so many different styles of blues playing. See you in the morning smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 15 2008, 01:42 PM
Instructor
Well, after a while of listening to this final mix I must say that diversity is a funny thing
with humans, it really is.. So many different styles here, and a lot of good sounding melodies in
general very very good! I must apologize ti you all because the disposition of the solos has
changed in the process of transferring them in Nuendo, so the solos are not in the order you've
posted them in the final mix.

I will be not too harsh when commenting this collab because there is too much players, but will
focus on the main things, and maybe mention sometimes if I hear something that I dislike too
much. Please guys, bare in mind that all this comments represent my subjective opinion and I
would like to hear yours too, so we can all see how we passed from different points of views. I'm
sure there are different opinions here at least as much as there is different styles! So lets
begin:

1. bodo
nice man, some heavy blues licks, packed in a logical sense solo, nice start, little run on the
fifth chord and then some nice repetitive movements on the end. I would suggest that you find
some better distortion settings, this sounds too harsh. So playing is I repeat good, but I would
recommend better sounding drive. Must practice a bit with your presets and maybe turn down drive
pot a bit. Other than that its great!

2. Alex Lewis
OK Alex, here we have some nice pentatonic licks and bendings, little repetitive, but very very
nice. The color of distortion is nice too, not too harsh, and pleasing to hear.All in all nice
solo, some interesting lick going on there. Nice sound, notes are clear, it need some refinement
but all in all good.

3. Fran
Nice man, interesting use of wah pedal in the blues, and nice soloing. I would recommend using
effects in modern blues, and if it had some more reverb it would definitely remind me of Ed
Stalmann! Again I must comment about the distortion - I really didn't like it. But that is a
small problem, it is just a matter of going to different preset or turning down the drive pot so
it doesn't sounds too muddy.

4. HKM67
Some nice licks going on there man, very hard rock sounding blues, some nice sharp bending licks.
The drive is little too much if you ask me, but that all relative. I would like it even more if
you started from that clean setting right away, not in the middle of the solo, and then evolve to
something with more hi gain towards the end. But nice dynamic showdown.

5. Muris
Some interesting and original sounding licks there Muris, I'm trying to figure out what it is but
I really can't do it. My guess it is a whammy bar or something. Well, whatever it is it adds the
flavor! Solo is great, as always, drive is little synthetic but very smooth and pleasing to ear,
and nice stereo delay touch. Keeping a standard as always.

6. JWBauer
And some low drive settings at last. Like it man. The sound is good and pleasing, no harsness at
all, very gentle bassy clean sound. Some nice phrasing licks there, nice use of a blues scale,
and little clumsy in the end but all in all great effort, and a nice bluesy solo.

7. fatb0t
Nice stuff man, you did this in a nice heavy blues style, with lots of distortion. Thats good.
The drive setting isn't too good though, very harsh sounding. I liked those repetitive licks,
they really tell me that you got into the blues feeling for a moment there.

8. smells
Nice, nice, good. Those are the words for this one m8! Drive setting is great, very smooth, and
some delay too adds to the space, solo is great, really like the blues lick at start with hammer
on, and all in all good. In the end a little tiny bit carried away, but thats a blues feeling, I
think you just got into the groove.

9. JVM
Nice clean style JVM. good phrasing and nice warm and gentle blues solo. I like it. It is what
the blues is all about, simplicity and feeling.

10. Twidbeard
Nice effort man, good sounding blues, raw simple solos and some crunch settings makes this solo
very good in my book. Work on those interval using. Very good use, but execution little on the
clumsy side. Other than that great.

11. TJchep
Interesting, very beefed up sound, and a solo as well. Some nice licks there and a little run in
the end makes this solo very good. I would really turn down reverb a bit, because it sounds
little muddy. Solo is good, little heavy, but climbing to the end, and a a little clumsy finish.
All in all a nice distorted solo.

12. Crazyfret
Nice sound, very strat like, some clapton licks here, and nice interval using. Again simple and
gentle, you really thinked about what you played and I respect that. Although the solo has some
standard licks, it is good from beginning to the end and that is great.

13. Iluha
Interesting effect there Iluha, some nice space echo delay use in the blues. First time to hear
that actually and it sounds good. I think it is good because it is simple and the sound is good
too. nice idea.

14. Preownedguitar
What do we have here, some old school heavy blues licks, nice and solid sound, not too distorted,
just on the edge really. Solo is good, work a little on those bends and you'll be fine, the solo
has a decent structure.

15. muntahunta
Nice and smooth melody, no too many runs, but for that intervals I recommend some other drive
preset. This one is too harsh for any solo, and particularly for the blues. Off course this type
of solo can be played in the blues and it sounds great, but the drive isn't a good quality one.
My guess is if you played this one with some low or medium drive settings it would sounded much
better.

16. machogriz
Nice, little out of tune on the guitar, but the solo is good, good color, but wooow, whats that
in the middle, some glued on boost that doesn't sound too good if you ask me man.. You must turn
that volume a bit, and equalize it with the beginning. It sounds TOO harsh like this. Other than
that nice effort.

17. robin
some nice slide "crossroads" licks i hear here. Here we have a first slide use, and a good one
man, but I would think it would be MUCH MUCH better if you turned down the drive pot a bit. It
sounds too muddy and dark like this.

18. Pavel
Nice Pavel, execution is great, and some original licks, but not too bluesy as you said. The use
of the major scale is great, but some blue notes would sounded great here. You got the chops,
you're just not into blues that much thats all. All in all great sounding.

19. Andrew Cockburn
Well, well, well, some nice vibrato I hear! Among the best thats for sure. The color is great
too, very warm and spacey, not too muddy on the reverb side, and good sounding solo. Great effort and very bluesy sounding.

20. Scoob
Now this one I like man. I really like that raw sound in the blues, and I think you nailed the
preset. Solo is great too, very old school sounding, raw but gentle, with feeling but simple.
Great.

21. USAMAN
Nice wah use and a good color after the wah. Solo is great too, I rally like the way you used
your wah. Nice effort on wah note accenting, and simple blues solo. You kept it that way all the
way and it sounds great.

- My Solo (Ivan Milenkovic)
Well, here's mu modest effort to the collab so you can comment if you want. I used my fingers for
a change on this one.

At the end, I want to thank you all again for participating, and I hope I'll see you on some more
blues, funky, rock and jazz collabs from me. Coming up soon! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Milenkovic Ivan: Jan 15 2008, 05:59 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  blues_colab_final_mix.mp3 ( 16.2MB ) Number of downloads: 554

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crazyfret
Jan 15 2008, 02:21 PM
Learning Roadie
You have worked hard Ivan!! We really appreciate your efforts on this one smile.gif

Its a great collab everyone, love the different styles of solos. I'm sure I'll be borrowing a few ideas wink.gif

Thanks for your comments Ivan can't wait for the next one.

--------------------
"I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order." Eric Morecambe

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jan 15 2008, 03:01 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
wow lots of entries! smile.gif I`ll have a listen when I get home from work,

thanks for your comments Ivan, and spot on, "a little carried away" lol

with a great backing its hard not to get carried away, thanks for putting it all together for us smile.gif

Edit: I had a listen when I got home from work, great job everyone, cool collab biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Smells: Jan 16 2008, 04:27 PM

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
napsternova
Jan 15 2008, 03:21 PM
GMC:er
Very tasty, great job! There is such a wide array of sounds.

--------------------
--- Jump in with both feet and hopefully you don't land on your head---

+Quote Post
Twibeard
Jan 15 2008, 04:31 PM
Thanks Ivan! Great job and very usable comment cool.gif

--------------------

Guitar: Ibanez RG370DXCE my backup is a Fender Strat.
Amps: Marshall MG and Line6 Spider III 75W combo (preferred)

Recording stuff: Cubase SX3, Logic emagic, Novation ReMote SL, M-Audio Pro
Synth experiance: Roland, MoTu, Native Instrument, Spectrasonics and Steinberg
Main VST's: Kontakt2, FM8, Bass station, Ezdrummer, MoTu EI, Atmosphere, Crystall

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 15 2008, 04:40 PM
Instructor
Good job everybody,thanks for comments Ivan! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Robin
Jan 15 2008, 04:50 PM
Great job everyone, thanks for the comments Ivan.

Btw, my solo starts too late, it wasnt supposed to start there, but its no big deal smile.gif

+Quote Post
Fran
Jan 15 2008, 05:10 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Thanks Ivan, you must have worked a lot to put all this together smile.gif

Great job everybody, you guys are awesome!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 15 2008, 05:10 PM
Instructor
I'll fix that right away man, no worries wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Iluha
Jan 15 2008, 06:06 PM
Thanks Ivan for all the efforts, this was one monster collab smile.gif

Nice to see so many unique musicians in one small community!

And thanks for the positive feedback Ivan, I was aiming at being original sound wise and the phaser just hit the spot for me, but I think it would sound much better without delay and with more reverb.

And about you'r solo(I'll try not to be too critical wink.gif), very Mark Knopfler like, and I love Dire Straits, I think you'r take was the best in the collab smile.gif

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 15 2008, 06:18 PM
Instructor
@Iluha
Thanks man, we all made the collab and it was sure a good fun. I'll do some more collab pretty soon! smile.gif

@Robin
I've fixed your solo starting point, now its starts correctly, sorry for the mistake! smile.gif

Again great job guys! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Jan 15 2008, 06:25 PM
Great job everyone! Really enjoyed this one.

Thanks for the comment Ivan. I really did have a very clumsy finish, and now after listening to myn a few times, I think I should have gone for a cleaner sound, would have fit the backing track better.

Thanks again, and an amazing track this is!

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
Robin
Jan 15 2008, 06:40 PM
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Jan 15 2008, 06:18 PM) *
@Robin
I've fixed your solo starting point, now its starts correctly, sorry for the mistake! smile.gif

Thanks alot man!! biggrin.gif Sounds alot better now(still sounds crap because of my playing though tongue.gif )

+Quote Post
Scoob
Jan 15 2008, 07:08 PM
Great job on the mix, I appreciate the comments.

Thanks for all your hard work and patience

--------------------
GEAR
guitars: Yamaha SE 350, Yamaha FG-360, Jay Turser JT134 Natural Quilt Top, Dean Vendetta, Squire Telecaster (Project to modify to better guitar. New Pickups and electrical parts done).
amp: Peavey Rage 108
amp Marshall ATV20X - Just bought Mar. 2007
effects: KORG AX3G (Multi), EBOW, Danelectro Free Speech Talkbox. Old Flanger and Chorus
Interface: IK Multimedia STEALTH PLUG

+Quote Post
preownedguitar
Jan 15 2008, 08:42 PM
Sounds great.

--------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strings:
Any 9-42's for strings.
Amp:
Carvin Bel Air 212 (2x12 50 Watt all tube), Carvin 212E Cabinet (2x12 120w)
Gutars:
Ibanez RG2550e Prestige, Galaxy black
94' Fender Stratocaster Black w/Black pearl pickguard
Pedals:
Keeley Flexi 4x12 Ibanez Tube Screamer
Keeley DS-1 Ultra
Keeley Compressor
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah
Pod X3 Live
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 15 2008, 09:12 PM
Learning Roadie
Great job everyone! And thank you for the collab Ivan, I enjoyed it. I liked your take too.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Jan 16 2008, 12:31 AM
Eh dunno, but I feel like this collaboration was like TOO big.

+Quote Post
HKM67
Jan 16 2008, 01:08 AM
Thanks a hell of a lot for this monster job and for the effort of commentig everyones work.
Everything was very well said. smile.gif
Hope to have some more of this in the future.

Great fun, good vibe and lot's of spirit from everyone!! GRATS!!

Peace and long live music
Horst

This post has been edited by HKM67: Jan 16 2008, 01:09 AM

+Quote Post
JWBauer
Jan 16 2008, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the comments. Blues is probably my favorite to play although I am just getting back into playing after several years of not playing. The Blues scale ws my first scale learned on guitar and therefore the one I know best.

Nice effort everyone. I was really inspired by everyone's participation and look forward to more collaborations.

--------------------
Ibanez AS73-TCR, Esteban American Legacy Starlight Limited Edition,
Esteban Granada Classical, Esteban Midnight Steel Limited Edition
Line 6 Spider III 15w

Buy AS73 at Musiciansfriend.com

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:50 AM