An interesting article
Tank
Oct 23 2006, 08:51 PM
GMC Veteran
An interesting (to me anyhow!!) article entitled "The Secrets of Greatness" on CNN.

CNN Secrets of Greatness

"...In a study of 20-year-old violinists by Ericsson and colleagues, the best group (judged by conservatory teachers) averaged 10,000 hours of deliberate practice over their lives; the next-best averaged 7,500 hours; and the next, 5,000..."

/T

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Tank: Oct 23 2006, 08:52 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
Red Tie
Oct 23 2006, 10:31 PM
GMC:er
It's interesting, this whole thing about hard work and practice.
And i think, from time to time, it's somewhat demotivating, or whatever i should call it.
I think alot of people may think like: "Oh, i only practiced on the guitar for 1 hour today, i'm never going to be a musician".
Or "I want to be a successful musician but i'm not really that motivated playing the guitar. Of course it is fun and i like it, but it's not that i enjoy playing chromatic finger exercises for 6 hours a day."
"Damn, i'm never going to be as the guitar-highlights sad.gif"

I think that's really tough when great musicians like Kristofer or Petrucci are telling people that you only need to practice you ass off.
But i also think that it's true, you really need to practice your ass off, but what about the young teens having school all weeks with exams and all that. I think they feel guilt when not being to able play that much, although they really want to.
Perhaps you'll only reckon this as another ingenuous argument, but i can tell you, i have gone through it and it's hell.

Anyhow, great article.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Red Tie: Oct 23 2006, 10:42 PM

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Oct 24 2006, 05:19 AM
QUOTE (Red Tie @ Oct 23 2006, 10:31 PM) *
It's interesting, this whole thing about hard work and practice.
And i think, from time to time, it's somewhat demotivating, or whatever i should call it.
I think alot of people may think like: "Oh, i only practiced on the guitar for 1 hour today, i'm never going to be a musician".
Or "I want to be a successful musician but i'm not really that motivated playing the guitar. Of course it is fun and i like it, but it's not that i enjoy playing chromatic finger exercises for 6 hours a day."
"Damn, i'm never going to be as the guitar-highlights sad.gif"

I think that's really tough when great musicians like Kristofer or Petrucci are telling people that you only need to practice you ass off.
But i also think that it's true, you really need to practice your ass off, but what about the young teens having school all weeks with exams and all that. I think they feel guilt when not being to able play that much, although they really want to.
Perhaps you'll only reckon this as another ingenuous argument, but i can tell you, i have gone through it and it's hell.

Anyhow, great article.

I definitely know what you're talking about. I really don't have lots of time to practice guitar because of school, and I do feel very bad when I only get an hour or less of practice. sad.gif
But I try to make up for it by trying to practice very efficiently, and working on my weak points, even if it's only for a little while.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 24 2006, 08:23 AM
GMC Founder
Yes this is interesting - also nice to have some more proof of my thesis... wink.gif

Here are some highlights...

Evidence crosses a remarkable range of fields. In a study of 20-year-old violinists by Ericsson and colleagues, the best group (judged by conservatory teachers) averaged 10,000 hours of deliberate practice over their lives; the next-best averaged 7,500 hours; and the next, 5,000. It's the same story in surgery, insurance sales, and virtually every sport. More deliberate practice equals better performance. Tons of it equals great performance.

Tip Sheet: Perfect Practice
1. Approach each critical task with an explicit goal of getting much better at it.
2. As you do the task, focus on what's happening and why you're doing it the way you are.
3. After the task, get feedback on your performance from multiple sources. Make changes in your behavior as necessary.
4. Continually build mental models of your situation - your industry, your company, your career. Enlarge the models to encompass more factors.
5. Do those steps regularly, not sporadically. Occasional practice does not work.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tank
Oct 24 2006, 08:35 AM
GMC Veteran
In response to Red Tie and RIP Dime. I know that when you are at school that it can seem like you don't have time, but in fact this is the bit of your lives when you have MOST time. Believe me, if I could, I'd go back to my school years I'd do all my practising then, rather than trying to fit it around work/family as I have to now. I'd give anything to get summer and winter breaks nowadays!!

/T

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 24 2006, 08:37 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Tank @ Oct 24 2006, 09:35 AM) *
In response to Red Tie and RIP Dime. I know that when you are at school that it can seem like you don't have time, but in fact this is the bit of your lives when you have MOST time. Believe me, if I could, I'd go back to my school years I'd do all my practising then, rather than trying to fit it around work/family as I have to now. I'd give anything to get summer and winter breaks nowadays!!

/T

Yes that is the truth - I am afraid it will only stress you further though...

--------------------

+Quote Post
PickNGrin
Oct 24 2006, 01:35 PM
Intresting and undisputable. Keep in mind these kids are in a conservatory though. They LIVE at school, and the school specializes in their music. They dont get a whole lot of much else.
My brother married a ballerina, she attended a conservatory from 7th grade til graduation. After her ballet carreer ended at about age 25 she went to college. She had a hard time because she did not have any high school math, language, geography, science -etc etc.
So it may not be fair to compare your selves with this type of intense level of practice. Kids need some time to just hang out andbe kids, and ...guitar, hopefully, should be fun, not a burden. You should enjoy your practice!

+Quote Post
Tank
Oct 24 2006, 01:49 PM
GMC Veteran
I would agree with PickNGrin, in that anyone who spends this much time at an instrument must be sacrificing their social lives. I've read that players such as Vai were considered a bit "odd" when they were kids, and Slash maintains that he used to skip school, just find somewhere to go and sit with his guitar for about 12 hours a day. Didn't really speak to anyone, not one of the "cool" kids in any way.

Remember though, that to be famous, you don't need to spend 10000 hours. I'd expect that most of the famous rock bands these days have nowhere neer that level of practice.

But if you want to MASTER the instrument..... blink.gif

Hey if it really was easy, each and every one of us could play Paganini's 16th Caprice behind our heads already. And no-one would think it was cool.... Okay maybe it's only me who thinks that it would be cool to be able to do that huh.gif

/T

+Quote Post
Shred Cat
Oct 24 2006, 09:32 PM
Remember though, that to be famous, you don't need to spend 10000 hours. I'd expect that most of the famous rock bands these days have nowhere neer that level of practice.

*Cough Green Day Cough Cough* tongue.gif

Strategy: Write a bunch of catchy pop tunes, get rich, retire early, spend the rest of my life doing nothing but playing guitar. wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:38 AM