Canonical Decomposition Collab Final Mix And Coments, Mp3 of Mix and Breakdown of Takes
Todd Simpson
Aug 1 2010, 01:40 PM
GMC:er
MAN! This thing turned out KILLER! I must congratulate and thank everyone who played on this. I spent the night mixing it and am still up. I just couldn't put it down. I Hope I got everyone in. Please forgive me if I jossled your tracks timing or what not.

Attached File  Canonical_Decomposition_GMC_Collab_Final_1.mp3 ( 5.03MB ) Number of downloads: 333

No. of participants: 6

* Here are some comments about each take. Thanks again for being part of my first Collab!

Todd Simpson 0:00-0:21
- I took the first slot to try to set up the harmony/melody for the piece. It's a harmonized lead in B - Minor bascially. I tried to add sweet and dirty spots so to speak, using bends opposing shred bits. Worked out nice smile.gif

Daniel Realpe 00:22-00:43
- First off, Daniel is a MONSTER player. As everyone knows his fingers get moving so quick they actually create a mini tornado on the strings. Seriously this was a great take. I love the use of FX on the first bit and then the use of pedal point, alternate picking, you name it, on the rest. A mini clinic on how to shred til your guitar melts. I really liked the blitzkrieg vibe to the solo that gave it a dangerous kind of feel like a train almost heading off the tracks, yet still sounding purposeful and on target. A great combo.

Chris Evans 00:44-01:06
- Wow! I"ve not heard you play before Chris and I must say I'm blown away. Your effortless technique and speed during your solo is well balanced by your emotive vibrato and use of thoughtful phrasing. I really liked the sense of structure and form in your solo as well. It sounds thought out, yet still retains an improvisational quality that gives it an edge. Nice.

SirJamsALot 01:06-01:28
- Well done Sir! It's obvious you have been putting time in the wood shed so to speak and have been practicing new techniques. I'm thrilled to see shades of some of the things we've covered in our saturday lessons in your playing. Your alternate picking is out in front and dead on, as well as your use of pedal point via open string per one of our previous lessons. I also liked the sweep picking sounding chop that you played at the end. Creates a nice coda for the solo which is structured much like an etude, very similar to some of the structures we've been working through on Saturdays. You've got a great sense of rythm and it shows in your percussive playing style, keep it up! Well done!

Zen 01:27-01:49
- Very cool chops in the solo. I like how you played against the speed of the piece and spent a good bit of time focused on phrasing. It's a different approach that makes it stand out and sound great. The choice of notes and bends is great and critical in that if you would have picked a wrong note, or bent to far or to shallow it would have not sounded good at all. But your choices were dead on and each bend was pretty much perfect. So it's great to see you taking risks with your playing and pulling it off so well. You RAWK!

Alex 01:47-02:10
-Killer chops and riffing here. One of the licks sounds similar to an Iron maiden chop ALA Adrian Smith and it works great. The way you flow in and out of each lick is quite impressive. Chaining chops together is a big hurdle in soloing and growing as a player and you seem to a great handle on it. I also liked the breadth of techniques employed. In the space of just a few bars you managed to do a mini tour of an entire buffet of chops and licks. All put together with a great ear for the musicality and timing involved in playing with and against the beat and backing.

In short, this piece just rocks. The talent you guys brought to it really made it what it is. I'd honestly pay for this if it were part of a guitar series or compilation. Take a listen to the mix and let me know what you think smile.gif If you have suggestions or ideas for the mix, I"d be happy to hear them. This work is under creative commons license so feel free to do anything you like with it! Share it, burn it, post it, etc.

I can't wait for the next Collab!

P.S. I hope I haven't forgotten anyone or left something out. If I have I do apologize. Also, be sure to check the time next to your name against the mix to make sure I'm critiquing you and not the player before or after. It was a long mix session and ended up with 16 tracks in the timeline so it can get wonky.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 1 2010, 01:43 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
Alexiaden93
Aug 1 2010, 01:49 PM
Learning Rock Star
o.O Loved it... The perfect metal solo medley! Great job guys, if I may say so myself! biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel
Lost in all the 2000+ GMC lessons? Check my Lesson Plan

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Recording equipment/software
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Aug 1 2010, 03:52 PM
Instructor
THanks for your kind comments Todd!! It was a fun collab indeed!

Very good takes from everyone!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Aug 1 2010, 06:39 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hey Todd, you forgot my take! wink.gif But it's a great final mix and for sure was a fun collab.

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 1 2010, 10:38 PM
I knew I'd forgotten something as there didn't seem to be enough solos. I ended up using mine to plug the gap. I'll go back to the original thread and download your take and put it in for a second mix. Sorry about that. sad.gif I'm glad you liked the current mix wink.gif It was a fun collab to work on and to mix. Some killer playing.

Todd

+Quote Post
zen
Aug 2 2010, 01:09 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thanks Todd .. This was fun smile.gif

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Aug 2 2010, 08:21 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
ohmy.gif whooarr!! wot a collab, great mix Todd!!

awesome takes guys, thanks for the comments and look forwad to some more collabs in the future

thanks again smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 4 2010, 05:05 PM
I did a new mix featuring just your solo. I think it plays well against the track smile.gif Here are the comments.

*Some really good playing here. The chops are in time and in key. Some of the bends are just a bit shy or beyond key but this is something that just comes with experience. Good picking technique here as well. I like your percussive style and approach. I look forward to working with you in teh future, hopefuflly during our saturday lessons as you grow as a musician.

Todd
Attached File  gitarerro_mix.mp3 ( 940.74K ) Number of downloads: 124

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:09 PM