> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Carlos Ferreira's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 26 2018, 05:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Carlos Ferreira @ Jul 26 2018, 01:00 PM) *
Yes, it makes sense, it is possible that it is microbends triggered by some tension in the left hand.
Thanks Gabriel

Great. Go for it! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Carlos Ferreira
Aug 4 2018, 11:18 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hello Gabriel!
Here are the exercises!
In the exercise Alternate Picking 6 I only managed to go from 75 to 80 BPM, I know it is not a great evolution but there is that part where we have 16th note triplets and there 5 BPM is makes all the difference for me: /
The same happens in other exercises where I did not increase BPM very much because they are always 16th note triplets.
In the sweep exercise I trained each shape individually as you said and in some shapes I got 75 BPM but when I have to switch between shapes I have to slow down a lot because it becomes much more difficult.
I recorded the second part of the exercise because the first change of shape with each beat is quite difficult.
I practiced every day maybe the result should be better but anyway, that's what I got ...
I'm waiting for your feedback.
Thank you and have a nice weekend!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Carlos Ferreira: Aug 4 2018, 11:22 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 6 2018, 03:11 PM
Instructor
Hi Carlos!! Great job mate!! Be sure that you are moving forward.

These are some comments based on these new lessons:

- I still notice some right hand fingers movement when playing alternate picking. Is it happening? This can be the reason why you are not being able to play 16th notes with hands in sync. Check it out!

- Your sweep picking is sounding good. One cool tip that I've received by my teenager days guitar teacher is that there is some king of circular movement with pick hand when playing it. I recommend you to check some Yngwie's videos to see what I mean.

Link: https://youtu.be/n6kPfe9gVJk

Please notice how small are all his movements, the fact that there are not fingers movement when playing alternate picking technique and off course the circular sweep picking motion.

- Legato: This is also on the right track. I notice that you are having some timing issues, you tend to hurry up a bit, so you rush the beat. Also, focus on keeping your left hand fingers closer to the fretboard when they are not pressing.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Carlos Ferreira
Aug 6 2018, 04:11 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hello Gabriel!
Regarding the alternate picking, yes, it is possible that there is some movement coming from the fingers, I am trying to correct this but I think it will take a while!
Okay, I'll see the videos ...
Is it to continue working in these 3 exercises?
Thank you!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 6 2018, 04:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Carlos Ferreira @ Aug 6 2018, 12:11 PM) *
Is it to continue working in these 3 exercises?

If you are not bored of them and still enjoying the practice, the answer is yes. What do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Carlos Ferreira
Aug 6 2018, 04:46 PM
Learning Rock Star
I'm not bored!
If you think it's the best I still practice the same exercises!
My goal is to become the guitarist I want to be and I trust you for that.
Thank you!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 8 2018, 02:22 PM
Instructor
Great mate! Hands on guitar! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 9 2018, 03:56 PM
Instructor
Regarding Improvisation Course.

Let's start with WEEK #1: LINK

Please share a video showing what you've worked and improvising over the backing track in 7 days. Deal?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Carlos Ferreira
Aug 9 2018, 08:10 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hello Gabriel!
Okay, but what's the point?
What are the tasks this week?
Decorate these shapes and patterns and play on the backing track?
Thanks

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 10 2018, 11:11 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Carlos Ferreira @ Aug 9 2018, 04:10 PM) *
Hello Gabriel!
Okay, but what's the point?
What are the tasks this week?
Decorate these shapes and patterns and play on the backing track?
Thanks

Hi Carlos.

You'll find a backing track there. The idea is that you apply the concepts shown there over the backing track shared there. You can start with the major scale by now, and use the Caged System Pentatonic shapes as reference.

Start with those 2 G major shapes, practice the sequence and combine it with the triads. Practice over the backing track in this order:

- Major scales up and down.
- Major scale sequence.
- Triads following the backing track chords.
- Combine everything.

Does it make sense?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Carlos Ferreira
Aug 13 2018, 03:59 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hello Gabriel!
Okay, I'll do it.
Thank you

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 13 2018, 04:13 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Carlos Ferreira @ Aug 13 2018, 11:59 AM) *
Hello Gabriel!
Okay, I'll do it.
Thank you

Please keep me updated and ask me everything you need!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Carlos Ferreira
Aug 22 2018, 07:19 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hello Gabriel!
I'm back wink.gif
Here is the video of week 1 of IMPROVISATION COURSE - FROM ZERO TO HERO! I have to work a lot of my improvisation: / Glad we started this course!
during this week I will send you the remaining exercises you told me to study!
I'm waiting for your feedback!
Thank you!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Carlos Ferreira
Aug 23 2018, 09:50 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hello Gabriel!
Are you okay?
Here is a short video of the link exercise! I've been practicing on small loops to try to increase speed, alias, I've done this for all the exercises.
In this exercise when I say a small loop I can already play at real speed, 16th note triplets at 110 BPM! I'm pretty happy with this because I never managed to get to this speed smile.gif

Now I have to work the endurance to be able to play all the exercise at this speed!
In this video I'm playing the 90 BPM exercise, but I started to get tired and lose the cordenation near the end …

This post has been edited by Carlos Ferreira: Aug 23 2018, 10:59 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 24 2018, 01:30 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Carlos Ferreira @ Aug 22 2018, 03:19 PM) *
Hello Gabriel!
I'm back wink.gif
Here is the video of week 1 of IMPROVISATION COURSE - FROM ZERO TO HERO! I have to work a lot of my improvisation: / Glad we started this course!
during this week I will send you the remaining exercises you told me to study!
Thank you!

Hi Carlos!! This is brilliant mate! Great job!!

As you can imagine, the "week #1" is just a tittle to organize the course, but it takes more than one week to get familiar with all this stuff and be able to make music with it.

The idea is that you continue working over that backing track but also dedicate the next days to experiment with the same scale, and concepts over other backing tracks in G major.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...r+backing+track

What do you say?

QUOTE (Carlos Ferreira @ Aug 23 2018, 05:50 PM) *
Hello Gabriel!
Are you okay?
Here is a short video of the link exercise! I've been practicing on small loops to try to increase speed, alias, I've done this for all the exercises.
In this exercise when I say a small loop I can already play at real speed, 16th note triplets at 110 BPM! I'm pretty happy with this because I never managed to get to this speed smile.gif

Now I have to work the endurance to be able to play all the exercise at this speed!
In this video I'm playing the 90 BPM exercise, but I started to get tired and lose the cordenation near the end …

This is not bad at all! You are getting closer with this exercise. There are some timing issues, and some notes that are not sounding clear but you'll get it soon if you continue practicing. I recommend you to put some focus on making your left hand fingers movement smaller, and trying to keep those fingers closer to the fretboard. That's what will make possible to feel comfortable with higher speeds.

Other than that this is very good mate, congratulations!!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Carlos Ferreira
Aug 24 2018, 02:33 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hello Gabriel!

1.About the Improvisation Course:
Of course, I will practice on other backing tracks and try for these concepts in a more musical way, here it still sounds like a lot of exercise!

2.In the exercise of linked:
Yes, when I go to the higher notes I notice some fatigue and I miss some notes, I think 90 BPM is still a bit difficult for me!
I'm going to continue working on this but I think it can take months to reach the goal, the 110 BPM: / what do you think about it? Is it normal or should I get faster? I think 110 BPM are a long way from my current skills!

3.About composition:
When reading some things here by the forum I saw that you advise the students to analyze the songs they like and I think it's fantastic!
I would like to start doing that job too! I love harmony, by the way, I find fascinating music theory!
I do not want to give up the time I have to play the guitar to do this job, but I could take advantage of the dead time at my work place to do this!
Could you show me what a good analysis of a theme looks like?

Thanks for everything and sorry for this long text!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 25 2018, 12:09 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Carlos Ferreira @ Aug 24 2018, 10:33 AM) *
Hello Gabriel!

1.About the Improvisation Course:
Of course, I will practice on other backing tracks and try for these concepts in a more musical way, here it still sounds like a lot of exercise!

Excellent!!

2.In the exercise of linked:
Yes, when I go to the higher notes I notice some fatigue and I miss some notes, I think 90 BPM is still a bit difficult for me!
I'm going to continue working on this but I think it can take months to reach the goal, the 110 BPM: / what do you think about it? Is it normal or should I get faster? I think 110 BPM are a long way from my current skills!

Don't hurry up, take your time. Try some minutes at a faster tempo even if you are not reaching all the notes, then get back to 90. It's ok if this take some weeks, even months. Practice every day.

3.About composition:
When reading some things here by the forum I saw that you advise the students to analyze the songs they like and I think it's fantastic!
I would like to start doing that job too! I love harmony, by the way, I find fascinating music theory!
I do not want to give up the time I have to play the guitar to do this job, but I could take advantage of the dead time at my work place to do this!
Could you show me what a good analysis of a theme looks like?

Thanks for everything and sorry for this long text!

Well, let's work on this. We can start simple by writting down three columns: Structure, Arrangment (What's happening) and Theory (Scales and chords).

A more advanced type of analysis can be found here: http://www.icce.rug.nl/~soundscapes/DATABA...-notes_on.shtml

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Carlos Ferreira
Aug 27 2018, 03:01 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hello Gabriel!
I decided to do the analysis of the last song I recorded for the rec program.
I know this is not a complete song, but as it is based on one of my favorite bands I decided to analyze to see if I understand what I have to do.
For vafor tell me all the mistakes made and what I should have analyzed and did not analyze!
When you say to analyze the arrangement, I'm not sure what you want me to say!
Thank you.

Composer: Lian Gerbino
Song Name: Nightwish Style Lesson

Tempo: 130 BPM
Time Signature: 4/4

1.Intro:

Key Signature: F#m

Chords: F#5(i) / A5 (bIII) / D5 (bVI) / C#5 (v)

2. Pre-Chorus

Key Signature: F#m Phrygian

Chords: F#5 (i) / G5 (bII) / E5 (bvii)

3. Main Riff/Chorus ( Here the key signature changes to Bbm)

Chords: Bbm (i) / Gb5(bVI) / F5(v) / Bb5(i) / Ab5(bVII)

4. Coda

Chords: Gb5(bVI) / Ab5(bVII) / F5(v) / Ab5(bVII) / Bb5 (i)

This post has been edited by Carlos Ferreira: Aug 27 2018, 03:02 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Carlos Ferreira
Aug 27 2018, 10:22 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hello again Gabriel!
Here is the video of with a small part of the exrcicio of alternate picking.
I shot from three different angles to better analyze the movement of my right hand!
I have spent many hours practicing this part that has 16th note triplets but the maximum I can do is play at 85 BPM and it does not always turn out well sad.gif it is not easy to reach the desired speed!
Thanks

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 28 2018, 06:00 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Carlos Ferreira @ Aug 27 2018, 11:01 AM) *
Hello Gabriel!
I decided to do the analysis of the last song I recorded for the rec program.
I know this is not a complete song, but as it is based on one of my favorite bands I decided to analyze to see if I understand what I have to do.
For vafor tell me all the mistakes made and what I should have analyzed and did not analyze!
When you say to analyze the arrangement, I'm not sure what you want me to say!
Thank you.

Composer: Lian Gerbino
Song Name: Nightwish Style Lesson

Tempo: 130 BPM
Time Signature: 4/4

1.Intro:

Key Signature: F#m

Chords: F#5(i) / A5 (bIII) / D5 (bVI) / C#5 (v)

2. Pre-Chorus

Key Signature: F#m Phrygian

Chords: F#5 (i) / G5 (bII) / E5 (bvii)

3. Main Riff/Chorus ( Here the key signature changes to Bbm)

Chords: Bbm (i) / Gb5(bVI) / F5(v) / Bb5(i) / Ab5(bVII)

4. Coda

Chords: Gb5(bVI) / Ab5(bVII) / F5(v) / Ab5(bVII) / Bb5 (i)

Hi mate! That's exactly what you need to do. I recommend you to use any type of table with 3 columns to make the analysis clearer to see. You can use Word, Excel or any other software for it.

I've noted that some "grades" numbers are not correct. Please re-check it.

The "arrangment" section, is the "what's happening" and there you have to explain what the instruments are doing. Every detail can be relevant here. The questions are:

- What is doing each instrument?
- Is there a change in sound?
- How the different instruments relate to each other?

QUOTE (Carlos Ferreira @ Aug 27 2018, 06:22 PM) *
Hello again Gabriel!
Here is the video of with a small part of the exrcicio of alternate picking.
I shot from three different angles to better analyze the movement of my right hand!
I have spent many hours practicing this part that has 16th note triplets but the maximum I can do is play at 85 BPM and it does not always turn out well sad.gif it is not easy to reach the desired speed!
Thanks

Hi again Carlos. Your right hand movement looks great in this video. I don't think that there is something to fix. Unfortunately, once you start doing the right movements, there are no short cuts. You need to practice the more you can until you master it. You can see even profesional shredders who can master every AP picking combination so they go for the ones that are more comfortable for them.

The question is what makes some mechanics more comfortable than others. I believe that the more comfortable are the ones that you practiced more so once again, practice is the key.

Alternate picking is a complex technique because you have to combine different directions when crossing strings so you'll have to be patient, and keep on practicing.

Always remember to make the movements the smaller possible.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:00 AM