Make Music With Fewer Notes, blues
ItsMe
May 17 2008, 07:57 PM
GMC:er
Attached File  ItsMe_goes_blues.mp3 ( 4.2MB ) Number of downloads: 474

I know we guitarists like to play fast and show off our technical abilities. But trying to limit yourself is really hard. So I gave the sweet blues playing a try and found a Larry Carlton lesson about leaving space in blues improvisation. This upload is influenced by BB King and this Larry C lesson and contains nearly no runs or anything fast. It's just blues motifs and space.
Hope it doesn't bore you so you fall asleep in the middle laugh.gif
Anyway I think as David also stressed in his "balance your shred" lesson it's important to listen to the music and find musical ideas that you try to develop.

Thanks for listening

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 11)
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 17 2008, 08:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ItsMe @ May 17 2008, 10:57 PM) *
Attached File  ItsMe_goes_blues.mp3 ( 4.2MB ) Number of downloads: 474

I know we guitarists like to play fast and show off our technical abilities. But trying to limit yourself is really hard. So I gave the sweet blues playing a try and found a Larry Carlton lesson about leaving space in blues improvisation. This upload is influenced by BB King and this Larry C lesson and contains nearly no runs or anything fast. It's just blues motifs and space.
Hope it doesn't bore you so you fall asleep in the middle laugh.gif
Anyway I think as David also stressed in his "balance your shred" lesson it's important to listen to the music and find musical ideas that you try to develop.

Thanks for listening

nice track mate

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
May 17 2008, 08:06 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Very cool, I liked it alot.

+Quote Post
Matt23
May 17 2008, 08:22 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
This really cool and good to listen to. smile.gif Well done.

+Quote Post
ItsMe
May 17 2008, 08:50 PM
Thanks guys

biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
May 17 2008, 10:31 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Very nice man. Another awsome recording. Little Robin Ford sounding here and their.

Love your backing tracks. They sound so open and easy to jam to.

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
ItsMe
May 18 2008, 03:19 PM
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ May 17 2008, 10:31 PM) *
Very nice man. Another awsome recording. Little Robin Ford sounding here and their.

Love your backing tracks. They sound so open and easy to jam to.

If you like I could upload this backing too

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
May 18 2008, 03:38 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thanks for offering but you don't have to do that. I have several other things a need to work on right now and don't need the temptation wink.gif smile.gif

Cheers and thanks again

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Pablo Vazquez
May 19 2008, 01:54 AM
Instructor
Really nice!!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
ItsMe
May 19 2008, 04:44 PM
Hi here is the backing track

Have fun.

wink.gif

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Blues_in_A.mp3 ( 6.1MB ) Number of downloads: 155

+Quote Post
Tjchep
May 19 2008, 10:59 PM
Wow!..

This is awesome stuff mate.. I really like it.. I'll give it a go in a few minutes, don't think it will be as nice as this though.

tj

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Jun 1 2008, 07:22 AM
Instructor
ItsMe,

Awesome take man, your ideas are great, i was kinda apprehensive about saying anything because i am by no means an expert authority on the blues being the lame kid from Suburbia.

What i would point out is that i think you didnt take it far enough as far as dynamics there were times when i think you should have backed off on your pick attack.

You were so close to having that "Conversation" as BB would say. Try messing around with different picking dynamics and and pick placement i.e. closer to the neck...closer to the bridge. Your instrument is capable of so much dynamics range you need to dig into your Guitars full potential tone wise.

I did an improv over the track, like i said i am by no means a blues expert but i hope i can make you see what am talking about.

Varying vibrato, loudness, softness...pinching the string...letting it ring...barely letting it ring etc all of these things will make your emotions known so much stronger.

Daniel

This post has been edited by Daniel Robinson: Jun 1 2008, 07:23 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  DanBlues.mp3 ( 4.08MB ) Number of downloads: 206

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:21 PM