New Guitar Day! Rusty Cooley 8 String
Todd Simpson
May 28 2014, 04:13 PM
GMC:er
It's finally here! I gotta say, this thing is a playable as my Ibby 7 string. I can't believe how thin the neck is!!!

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Becca
May 28 2014, 04:45 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 28 2014, 03:13 PM) *
It's finally here! I gotta say, this thing is as playable as my Ibby 7 string. I can't believe how thin the neck is!!!

Attached Image

OoooH Todd. That guitar is a thing of beauty. Awesome mate. Never played a 7 string let alone an 8. Be Proud and LOUD!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 28 2014, 09:56 PM
This thing plays like a dream smile.gif I'm really shocked at how slick it plays. I expected the neck to be a telephone poll!! Also, these go new for about $400 so it's about the same price as the Ibanez RG8 which I just didn't really like much at all. The pickups didn't work for me and the neck felt huge.

QUOTE (Becca @ May 28 2014, 11:45 AM) *
OoooH Todd. That guitar is a thing of beauty. Awesome mate. Never played a 7 string let alone an 8. Be Proud and LOUD!

+Quote Post
Mertay
May 28 2014, 10:14 PM
8 strings are slowly starting to appear where I live. My 6 string ibby's neck feels wide so I'm confident with 7 string but 8 might make things interesting for me too biggrin.gif

Did the wideness of neck affect your playing habits? like the placing of thumb or sitting position?

--------------------

+Quote Post
SeeJay
May 29 2014, 12:28 AM
I used to work at a music store where Rusty Taught at. In between students, you could hear him in the back shredding away. I always remember thinking "is this guy going to even just bend a string?".

Ha

Super nice guy. Nice looking guitar

--------------------
Rock and Roll Lover. Vintage Ampeg collector. Soon to be new father.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 29 2014, 12:47 AM
It's about the same width as my 7 string ibanez. So it feels just about the same smile.gif The neck on my STRICTLY 7, 8 String Cobra is bigger by comparison and so was the RG8. I don't know how they squeezed 8 strings on here and it' doesnt feel cramped. Also scale length is not crazy long so you can still do bends without slitting your fingers smile.gif

QUOTE (Mertay @ May 28 2014, 05:14 PM) *
8 strings are slowly starting to appear where I live. My 6 string ibby's neck feels wide so I'm confident with 7 string but 8 might make things interesting for me too biggrin.gif

Did the wideness of neck affect your playing habits? like the placing of thumb or sitting position?

Now that you menion it, I don't think I've ever heard him do a bend smile.gif The 8 stringers are not given to bending in most cases due to scale length making the string tension a bit nuts. Thankfully the rusty 8 using a shorter scale ony 27.5 instead of 30.
QUOTE (SeeJay @ May 28 2014, 07:28 PM) *
I used to work at a music store where Rusty Taught at. In between students, you could hear him in the back shredding away. I always remember thinking "is this guy going to even just bend a string?".

Ha

Super nice guy. Nice looking guitar

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 29 2014, 03:12 AM
BAD NEWS!!! It looks like the previous owner of this guitar hacked at the nut with a kitchen knife to try to make it accomodate thicker strings. As a result, now that I've restrung it with the set I like, the strings won't keep tune after a strike even without fretting they drift sharp and back down. Uggh.

I'm going to have to send this one back. I think I'm going to go for a BRAND NEW One as they are not much more than the used one. Things I LOVE about this axe.

1.)The lower horn is shaped such that you get great upper fret access. I've seen guys hack/sand their guitars to get this type of thing but it usually looks a bit gnawed on. This one is perfect.

2.)The action is crazy fast. Never played at 8 that feels like a Ibby 7 til now.

3.)It's not heavy as a boat anchor. Unlike some 8 strings I've tried that felt like holding a bass guitar.

In short you can tell this was designed from scratch by a shredder smile.gif Well done Rusty!!

+Quote Post
Becca
May 29 2014, 12:27 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 29 2014, 02:12 AM) *
BAD NEWS!!! It looks like the previous owner of this guitar hacked at the nut with a kitchen knife to try to make it accomodate thicker strings. As a result, now that I've restrung it with the set I like, the strings won't keep tune after a strike even without fretting they drift sharp and back down. Uggh.

I'm going to have to send this one back. I think I'm going to go for a BRAND NEW One as they are not much more than the used one. Things I LOVE about this axe.

1.)The lower horn is shaped such that you get great upper fret access. I've seen guys hack/sand their guitars to get this type of thing but it usually looks a bit gnawed on. This one is perfect.

2.)The action is crazy fast. Never played at 8 that feels like a Ibby 7 til now.

3.)It's not heavy as a boat anchor. Unlike some 8 strings I've tried that felt like holding a bass guitar.

In short you can tell this was designed from scratch by a shredder smile.gif Well done Rusty!!

Oh Man! What a shame. I suppose a new nut for an 8 would be tricky to source, though at that price for a new axe that is insanely good value. When you get it sorted would you post some more Pics? Please. I am intrigued by this one. That neck looks awesome and I love the bank of machine heads on the headstock. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 29 2014, 06:07 PM
I could get a new nut and have it swapped out but the new version is only 20 bux more so it's not worth the trouble. The neck is AMAZING smile.gif Best playing 8 string I"ve ever touched to be honest.

QUOTE (Becca @ May 29 2014, 07:27 AM) *
Oh Man! What a shame. I suppose a new nut for an 8 would be tricky to source, though at that price for a new axe that is insanely good value. When you get it sorted would you post some more Pics? Please. I am intrigued by this one. That neck looks awesome and I love the bank of machine heads on the headstock. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 29 2014, 06:30 PM
Instructor
Woo.. you stumped up for one of Rusty's 8s ! Bummer to hear about the nut though ><

Does that mean you've got two 8 strings ?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 30 2014, 12:47 AM
I sent it back but I've got good news!!!

I LOVED IT SOOOOOO MUCH THAT I SPRANG FOR A BRAND NEW ONE!!!!!!!

I just LOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVEEEEEE the way that thing played so I had to pony up and get a brand new one!!!! IT's just an amazing instrument. It plays as easy as some of my 6 string guitars and it's an 8!!!

So yeah, this will be my second 8 string smile.gif Ive had 3 8 strings so far. But I sold the RG8 as I just did not like the neck sad.gif I still have the STRICTLY 7 Cobra 8 String which is an amazing instrument in itself. It's a 30 inch scale so it has amazing sustain and tightness on the low strings. Great for Meshuggah style stuff smile.gif

But the Cooley is 26.5 scale so the string tension is about the same as my RG560 and you can bend strings and use a light touch so it's a lead guitar with 8 strings smile.gif

Also, the lower horn is brilliant. It's carved back to allow high fret access. I honestly wish all my guitars were carved this way. I hope IBANEZ takes some notes!!!

[attachment=37340:rusty_co..._main_lg.jpg]

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ May 29 2014, 01:30 PM) *
Woo.. you stumped up for one of Rusty's 8s ! Bummer to hear about the nut though ><

Does that mean you've got two 8 strings ?

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 30 2014, 12:56 AM

+Quote Post
Mith
May 30 2014, 01:55 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Man I'm intrested in trying one. Never been one forextra strings. I tend to have my main guitars in D Standard, Drop D and Drop C (Who plays in stardard nowdays anyway?) But ever since I started getting a bit the theory and scale knowlage in me the idea of really long scale runs and super extended apeggios seems novel.

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 30 2014, 02:52 AM
Bingo!! smile.gif Also, having the low B on a 7 string is very handy for folks used to drop D. It gives you your E string back and lets you do killer chunky chords without having to drop tune smile.gif The 8 string is the same idea but even more extended smile.gif

If you are new to extended range instruments, I'd say start with a 7 string. Any of the Ibanez 7 strings is a good way to go. Most of them using the standard scale length so they are very expressive and bend easy.

If you go for an 8, I'd avoid Ibanez. sad.gif I'd go straight for the Rusty Cooley. For the price, Ibanez has nothing in an 8 that plays this well. I've tried them all smile.gif

QUOTE (Mith @ May 29 2014, 08:55 PM) *
Man I'm intrested in trying one. Never been one forextra strings. I tend to have my main guitars in D Standard, Drop D and Drop C (Who plays in stardard nowdays anyway?) But ever since I started getting a bit the theory and scale knowlage in me the idea of really long scale runs and super extended apeggios seems novel.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 30 2014, 10:21 AM
Instructor
So did you get the one with the graphics, Todd ?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 30 2014, 11:36 PM
Basic Black for me smile.gif With Black Hardware. I dig black on black guitars. I have not had a white on white but I like the way Olas double white siggy looks so probly at some point smile.gif

The vid was to share the features mostly. smile.gif

I wish these same features get embraced by other vendors!!

*The lower horn/cavity is perfect!! Ibby needs to take note!

*The neck is amazingly thin and playable for an 8.

*Scale Length is PERFECT. Long enough to keep good tension, not so long that string tension kills bending.

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ May 30 2014, 05:21 AM) *
So did you get the one with the graphics, Todd ?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:00 AM