Recommendation For Hollowbody Guitar
solid8
Sep 13 2013, 07:25 AM
GMC:er
Hello community.

This is my first post. I'm somewhat of a lurker. I have a very bad case of GAS (gear acquire syndrome) and have many guitars yet only own one hollowbody (fender coronado).. which is pretty descent.

I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on an affordable yet delicious hollowbody.. I am familiar with the standards but wanted to know anyone's own personal experience with any of the following.. (or anything that I am missing)..

Gibson 335, Es 175, Midtown, 330's etc..
Guild starfire
PRS hollowbody
Hamer newport?
and of course Gretsch..

I have about a 1500.00 budget and prefer US made guitars.. not being an american snob.. I am just more familiar with usa gibson, fender etc..

Hopefully this post is an OK topic and place..

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 13 2013, 08:27 AM
Instructor
Hello at wellcome at GMC smile.gif I think I would go for Gibson 335. In this list PRS seems to be very different. If You have good expirience with 335 shaped guitars then probably it would be best choice wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 13 2013, 01:30 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Take a look at the Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion. I've played on for years and still love it.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Sep 13 2013, 02:28 PM
For what its worth...I dream of owning a Gibson 335 one day..They are the coolliest guitar in my book!!! cool.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Sep 13 2013, 04:21 PM
What type of music do you want to play on it?
The differences between a 335, a 175 and any Gretsch are night and day.

The 'thinlines' (335, PRS and Newport) are actually closer to a Les Paul than they are an actual 'jazz' archtop guitar.
The Gretsch and Guild are generally better at rock, rockabilly, trad country and janglier pop/rock (Tom Petty, the Smiths, etc).
*(not to say that you can't play other stuff on them - this is just a generalization based on my own experience and reference)
And the 175, Steve Howe not withstanding, is a straight up jazz box.

The 335 and Newport are probably the most versatile.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Sep 13 2013, 04:59 PM

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Sep 13 2013, 04:47 PM
Learning Roadie
The Midtowns have been getting really good reviews.

I'd love to get a nice 335, Tom Bukovac gave me GAS for one

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Sep 13 2013, 06:18 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
335 its in my few too when i am ripe for it smile.gif

Beside that Duesenberg Duesenberg

are all worth to try out !

+Quote Post
SixStringSamurai
Sep 14 2013, 08:19 PM
Do you want a semi-hollow or full hollow? Many of those you've listed are semi hollow (like the 335) and would sound fairly different from a completely hollow jazz box.

--------------------
http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for the terminally GAS-afflicted.

Thank you to John at GMC for inviting me to hang out and talk gear with you guys!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 15 2013, 08:41 PM
Instructor
Well, I would first ask you - what would you like to play with it? smile.gif

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Sep 16 2013, 12:53 PM
Learning Tone Master
sorry to get of topic, but, does anyone else see the humor in solid8 looking for hollowbody

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 16 2013, 07:44 PM
Instructor
Hi and welcome to the forum!! My vote goes for 335! I have tried even Epiphone 335 models that were fantastic guitars so you won't regret of a Gibson.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 17 2013, 06:38 AM
Looks like some really good suggestions here!!! I'm thrilled we have such a deep body of experience between everyone here at GMC. smile.gif This topic in particular, and a recent topic about small jazz amps reminded me how much there is to know and how little I still know about some subjects!

Todd

QUOTE (solid8 @ Sep 13 2013, 02:25 AM) *
Hello community.

This is my first post. I'm somewhat of a lurker. I have a very bad case of GAS (gear acquire syndrome) and have many guitars yet only own one hollowbody (fender coronado).. which is pretty descent.

I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on an affordable yet delicious hollowbody.. I am familiar with the standards but wanted to know anyone's own personal experience with any of the following.. (or anything that I am missing)..

Gibson 335, Es 175, Midtown, 330's etc..
Guild starfire
PRS hollowbody
Hamer newport?
and of course Gretsch..

I have about a 1500.00 budget and prefer US made guitars.. not being an american snob.. I am just more familiar with usa gibson, fender etc..

Hopefully this post is an OK topic and place..

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 17 2013, 08:05 AM
Instructor
Although it does not sound as close to the usual things that one could play on a hollowbody guitar, I was always fascinated with this:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:38 PM