Sns - Strange New Strings..., Few issues after restringing:(
Jakub Luptovec
Jan 19 2008, 09:16 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Hia,

I broke a string to day and luckily found a reserve set of strings - D'addario 0.09.

So I restringed the guitar and also polished frets with planet waves set. Then I stringed the guitar up.. after a while it tuned perfectly, but I noticed, that the strings have VERY stragne sound. More different, than the difference between new and old set of strings.. they just sound.. weird. It reminds me more of piano sound, than guitar string.

Also, dunno how, but now the strings clash with frets, you know what I mean? When the string vibrates, it touches the fret. It never did before.

Before, I used 0.10 D'addarios and everything was ok..

Thanks in advance

Phoenix

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Jakub Luptovec: Jan 19 2008, 09:16 PM

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 19 2008, 09:22 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
About the sound: well if it sounds bad to you buy a new set and put them on..Don't know why they sound weird..maybe its just the bad set..About the fret buzzing, try adjusting the neck truss rod (there is a screw up on the neck behind the 0 fret)..You changed the thickness of the strings so you have to compensate a little for it adjusting the neck truss rod..Since you put on lighter strings than before try lossening up the bolt for neck a little..That will help I'm sure..Just be careful - with neck adjustment a little goes a long way! wink.gif
I hope this helps a little.. wink.gif

Cheers Mate wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Bogdan: Jan 19 2008, 09:23 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Jan 19 2008, 10:58 PM
Instructor
i think if you use 0.09 it has different adjusting if you want to still keep on your old strings so buy one 0.10

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Jan 19 2008, 11:19 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Meh.. that neck rod is hardly accesable for me:( And I dont want to screw anything up:-D

Hmm.. I never thought, that that 0.001 is making any difference :-D

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Jan 19 2008, 11:38 PM
Instructor
yes its make different for example if you want to string your guitar by .0.10 it has a special adjusting niether than .0.09 and 0.08

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 20 2008, 01:12 AM
Instructor
It's a matter of bridge/springs I believe.
Tension of 009 is much lower so they lay down to frets cause bridge is pushing them back.
Release springs a bit or go back to 010. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Jan 20 2008, 08:48 AM
Learning Tone Guru
So if I have Floyd Rose, I just have to put it a bit up? Or to geek with the springs on the back of guitar and just adjust the balance of tremolo?
I want to carry on with 0.009 strings.. cause this month, I have short budget:(

--------------------

+Quote Post
Majickal
Jan 20 2008, 09:48 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Jakub Luptovec @ Jan 20 2008, 06:48 PM) *
So if I have Floyd Rose, I just have to put it a bit up? Or to geek with the springs on the back of guitar and just adjust the balance of tremolo?
I want to carry on with 0.009 strings.. cause this month, I have short budget:(

Yes that is correct, The higher the gauge string you use the tighter the string and the more tension is on the tremolo. If you use lighter strings the balance of the tremolo is altered, in this case the tension on the tremolo is reduced pulling it back towards the body which in turn will lower the action. This seems to be what is happening to your guitar: fret buzz.

Floyd Rose Tremolos are all about balance, equilibrium if you like, string tension vs sping tension. Get it right and it rocks get it wrong and it sucks.

I would not raise the temolo if i were you as i reckon it is probarbly setup to suit 0.10 gauge strings. Once you put 0.10s back on the setup of the guitar will be all wrong in terms of action.

Loosen the springs a fraction, this will allow the tremolo to rise and will alleviate your fret buzz problem with out affecting the setup of the guitar too much.

Hope this helps.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 20 2008, 01:46 PM
Instructor
Yeah,no need to touch bridge main screws,only springs. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 20 2008, 02:03 PM
Instructor
Generally, if you change a gauge, even on one string it ruins the balance existed until then. The whole guitar is "moving" under the influence of the string tension. You may want to do a setup every time you want to change a string gauge if you want you guitar to sound right.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:42 AM