Computer Requirements
Chokehold
Aug 13 2009, 09:03 PM
GMC:er
Hello, I am soon getting myself a LINE6 POD X3 LIVE, mainly for recording. And now I want to know how good computer you would need to record stuff to your computer?

I think that the one I got is an average one, except for the graphic card which is really bad. But you don't need a good graphic card to record, right?

So, help me. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Hellraiser C-7, Epiphone SG, Some old fake Strat, and an acoustic of unknown brand.
Amp: Marshall MG 30DFX.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 13 2009, 09:25 PM
Moderation Policy Director
n this day and age, average is pretty good for recording - even an avergae PC can record and stream more than enough tracks at once for a very complex recording.

Where you do sometimes run out of power is if you are using a lot of plugins, like soft synths, reverb, effects etc, but there are workarounds such as freezing tracks.

Long story short - you should be ok, but if you post your PC specs we'll be able to tell you better!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Chokehold
Aug 13 2009, 09:27 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 13 2009, 10:25 PM) *
Long story short - you should be ok, but if you post your PC specs we'll be able to tell you better!

I have no idea about my specs or how I check it, tell me how and you will get them. smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Hellraiser C-7, Epiphone SG, Some old fake Strat, and an acoustic of unknown brand.

+Quote Post
Static
Aug 13 2009, 09:34 PM
QUOTE (Chokehold @ Aug 13 2009, 10:27 PM) *
I have no idea about my specs or how I check it, tell me how and you will get them. smile.gif

Start -> Run... -> type 'dxdiag' (without quotes) -> OK

Here you can see your CPU and memory wink.gif

--------------------

Guitars: Peavey HP Special Custom, Gibson SG Standard, Ibanez RG1570
Amps: Marshall TSL601, Fender Frontman Reverb, Fender Champion 600

+Quote Post
Chokehold
Aug 13 2009, 09:50 PM
QUOTE (Static @ Aug 13 2009, 10:34 PM) *
Start -> Run... -> type 'dxdiag' (without quotes) -> OK

Here you can see your CPU and memory wink.gif

Thanks smile.gif to bad it's all on Swedish and I can't translate to good.

Edit:
I use a Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1)
Memory: 956 MB RAM
Processor(?): AMD sempron™ Processor 3400+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.8 GHZ
DirectX-version: DirectX 9.0c + some random numbers
Alternate(?)file: 705 MB used, 1608 MB available

Anything more important? I Have no idea what all this stuff is.

This post has been edited by Chokehold: Aug 13 2009, 09:57 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 13 2009, 10:09 PM
Learning Rock Star
I think 1GB ram might be in the low end, if you're going to be using a lot of VSTs etc. 1.8Ghz is probably not it's strongest point either, but I don't really have any idea of how much many of these programs take to run acceptably. I am probably on the good side myself with 4x3,1Ghz and 4 gb ram tongue.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Chokehold
Aug 13 2009, 10:13 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 13 2009, 11:09 PM) *
I think 1GB ram might be in the low end, if you're going to be using a lot of VSTs etc. 1.8Ghz is probably not it's strongest point either, but I don't really have any idea of how much many of these programs take to run acceptably. I am probably on the good side myself with 4x3,1Ghz and 4 gb ram tongue.gif

Would it be very expensive to get newer parts?

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 13 2009, 10:18 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
To me it looks to be on the weak side.
I suggest you try a DAW that's not too memory and CPU consuming, like Reaper (www.reaper.fm)

Adding RAM way would be a good idea.

And when in your recording program, DAW, don't use more plug-ins that absolutely neccessary. Too many of them hogs resources and will slow or even crash your system.

I guess it's doable on your system but you will always have to mind CPU and RAM. Just be careful with the plug ins and which recording program you choose so you run with small size and ones that go easy on the resources.

+Quote Post
Chokehold
Aug 13 2009, 10:21 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Aug 13 2009, 11:18 PM) *
To me it looks to be on the weak side.
I suggest you try a DAW that's not too memory and CPU consuming, like Reaper (www.reaper.fm)

Adding RAM way would be a good idea.

And when in your recording program, DAW, don't use more plug-ins that absolutely neccessary. Too many of them hogs resources and will slow or even crash your system.

I guess it's doable on your system but you will always have to mind CPU and RAM. Just be careful with the plug ins and which recording program you choose so you run with small size and ones that go easy on the resources.

Already got Reaper. smile.gif And what is RAM?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 13 2009, 10:29 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Chokehold @ Aug 13 2009, 11:21 PM) *
Already got Reaper. smile.gif And what is RAM?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2_SDRAM

RAM memory is not expensive to upgrade and will let your PC run much faster and handle better complex recording projects (and VSTs loaded).

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Chokehold
Aug 13 2009, 10:39 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Aug 13 2009, 11:29 PM) *
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2_SDRAM

RAM memory is not expensive to upgrade and will let your PC run much faster and handle better complex recording projects (and VSTs loaded).

Thanks! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 13 2009, 10:58 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
If you can upgrade your RAM do but 1 gig should be ok for most home use. Video should not be an issue as audio recording software is 2D and makes little use of advance graphics. If you can you should consider partitioning your hard disc and putting your audio on a clean separate partition rather than having everything on a single partion/drive. (Ideally the audio should be on a different hard drive but that's probably one for the future.)

A lot of audio recording software will cope on what you have. Plus very few of us really need to have multiple tracks open at any single time for concurrent recording. What often chews up your memory is running effects or virtual instruments in a way that is inefficient i.e. opening lots of individual, identical simulations of a reverb and placing them individually on individual tracks rather than placing a single one on a main out. There are a small number of virtual instruments that do need a lot of free RAM - but these are a minority still and tend to be expensive. As Andrew says most sequencers also have workarounds like track freezing to help with RAM usage.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 14 2009, 11:11 PM
Instructor
You should buy at least one 1GB RAM module to upgrade the machine, and buy one Hard Disk as well, the prices are now low, and you can get 300-500GB HDD with a good price per GB ratio.

So cheapest upgrades and the one that will do your PC biggest performance boost:

1. RAM
2. HDD

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
superize
Aug 23 2009, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I really think you should upgrade to be on the safer side....

I got 2 GB Ram and a 2.8 Ghz Celeron processor but sometimes that is not enogh........

I hope it gets better when i get my new Harddrive

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 09:47 AM