4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Beginner Improvisation Help, A "starting point" rough guide
Rating 5 V
Chris Evans
Jan 19 2008, 09:41 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
After reading a few posts about "where to start" improvising on a scale and getting some PM`s regarding this I decided to see if I could help give a "starting point" guide using a short video and some explanation.

I am certainly NO EXPERT on this, mainly coz I dont really believe theres a right or wrong way to do it, and its a very tough subject to explain, doing the video helped me put this into text, its just a pointer, and may give some people a starting point (I hope) to carry on and get involved with the collabs etc.

So heres an explanation of the video in words, as the volume on my voice is a little low, and to make it clearer what I`m trying to get accross

Probably the most popular scale is the minor pentatonic, for the purpose of this video I`m using the Bm pentatonic in one position only to keep things as simple as possible smile.gif

Attached Image

|——————————-7—10————
|————————–7—10-------——–
|———————-7—9—————------
|——————7—9———————----
|————7—9—————————----
|——7—10——————————-----

The backing used is David Wallimans backing from the Gilmour Collab, I recommend using this backing to jam and improvise with, its just the best! you can get it HERE

where to begin.
The backing key is given, in this case its Bm so using one position (tab above) of the Bm pentatonic scale we can start.

First off learn the scale inside out, with the backing just run up and down the notes of the scale, just to get a feel and to make sure all the notes sound ok and in key with the track.

Thats gunna sound pretty boring all the way through, so, just begin again running up and down the scale in the same order but "hanging" on random notes, also try varying the speed here and there.

Next try skipping a few notes, hanging on some, back n forth between others, repeating some notes, remember to keep the "feel" of the backing in mind.

its already sounding better right? some more elements are required to get your improvisation sounding better, add in some slide off notes, some bends and pull offs, try to incorporate (using the notes of the scale) some techniques or licks that you`ve learnt already from other lessons. (I will make a follow up video on doing exactly this in the very near future)

Finally for this demonstration I`ve moved position a whole octave up, using the two same positions hopefully you can see in the video that you can link the two together to vary the overall sound of your solo, if you`ve learnt all the other positions in the scale you should be able to take the same approach as above and link everything together.

Once again I dont claim to be an expert but this seemed the only way I could explain myself smile.gif

I apologise for you not being able to see my face in the video whilst I`m talking, only I had a few camera issues and once the camera was "set" I didnt want to move it laugh.gif

Attached File  Improv_beginnings.wmv ( 14.26MB ) Number of downloads: 3677

This is purely a starting point for those that have said "I dont know where to start" if its been of help to you then thats excellent, let me know and I`ll try to come up with something that may help you further if you`d like me to smile.gif

Just keep practicing smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Smells: Jan 19 2008, 09:50 PM

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 19 2008, 09:42 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey smells, wheres the video?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jan 19 2008, 09:43 PM
oops thanks mate

Edit: cheers JVM, video now attached

This post has been edited by Smells: Jan 19 2008, 09:51 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Davidian
Jan 20 2008, 12:10 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Wow!
Nice one, Smells!
I'll try some of your 'tricks' tomorrow biggrin.gif

--------------------
Music is supposed to break down walls, smash through barriers; and free your mind!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jan 20 2008, 12:42 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Excellent Guide smells!

I wish i had this guide when i was starting out! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jan 20 2008, 12:46 AM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jan 19 2008, 11:42 PM) *
Excellent Guide smells!

I wish i had this guide when i was starting out! laugh.gif

thanks mate, yea me too, so if it can help just one or two then it`ll have been well worth it smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Jan 20 2008, 01:26 AM
GMC:er
This is extremely helpful, Smells. Thanks alot. cool.gif

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Bondy
Jan 20 2008, 01:35 AM
Learning Roadie
Smells thats a great lesson i really struggle with making my own stuff up thats gonna help me a lot i know have been playing for nearly 10 years on and of but i used to just sing and play rhythm have only started to play lead since joining GMC and thats gonna help me nicely

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance

+Quote Post
JCJXXL
Jan 20 2008, 03:19 PM
Smells - good job! Very clear and easy to understand.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 21 2008, 08:51 AM
GMC Founder
Excellent Smells! I like the tone and approach of your teaching - not mention your playing! biggrin.gif

We don't have any of this straight forward lessons on the site - I would recommend all beginners interested in the topic to dive into this lesson!

Thanks Chris! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bondy
Jan 21 2008, 10:04 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi smells thought i would upload my first ever solo i never thought i would be able to do anything like this i know theres lots of bum notes and dodgy phrasing but i'am dead chuffed for a first attempt thanks for helping me out
smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

Wont let me upload HMMM

This post has been edited by Bondy: Jan 21 2008, 10:13 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  First_ever_Solo.mp3 ( 866.58K ) Number of downloads: 445

--------------------
www.minorglance.com

+Quote Post
eddiecat
Jan 21 2008, 10:13 AM
Wow Smells!
This is very, very useful!
You're doing a wonderful job on this site!
Thank you.

Eddie

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jan 21 2008, 10:13 AM
Thanks Kris, I`ll do a follow up to this lesson soon with a similar approach. smile.gif

Thanks guys, I`m glad its helping you out smile.gif

This post has been edited by Smells: Jan 21 2008, 10:16 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bondy
Jan 21 2008, 10:14 AM
Learning Roadie
Sorted it now

--------------------
www.minorglance.com

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jan 21 2008, 10:16 AM
QUOTE (Bondy @ Jan 21 2008, 09:14 AM) *
Sorted it now

biggrin.gif great mate, I`ll have a listen when I get home from work tonight smile.gif

This post has been edited by Smells: Jan 21 2008, 10:17 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
johnymac
Jan 21 2008, 10:21 AM
that lesson is great it help me quite a bit look forward to the next one

--------------------
my gear
Epiphone les Paul extreme, Marshall MG30DFX

+Quote Post
Paul Coutts
Jan 21 2008, 10:38 AM
great stuff, I really enjoyed this biggrin.gif
It'll be definetly good for beginners and such...

This post has been edited by Paul Coutts: Jan 21 2008, 10:41 AM

--------------------
Gear - Ibanez RG350EX, Ibanez RG220DX, ESP LTD MH250, Line 6 PODx3, Laney TF100, Ibanez SM7, Ibanez RG ?

+Quote Post
Davidian
Jan 21 2008, 04:51 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks again!
I tried some of the stuff yesterday, and it's really nice biggrin.gif

I'll try to upload something if I can

--------------------
Music is supposed to break down walls, smash through barriers; and free your mind!

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jan 21 2008, 04:54 PM
QUOTE (Davidian @ Jan 21 2008, 03:51 PM) *
Thanks again!
I tried some of the stuff yesterday, and it's really nice biggrin.gif

I'll try to upload something if I can

gr8, look forward to hearing it, and your welcome smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Jan 21 2008, 04:55 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Cheers smells- i found that sometimes with different tempos id lose my place improvising, running through the scale to the beat is a great way to get a feel for the different tempos.

Thanks again, big help

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:23 PM