Stuck in two boxes!!
mattacuk
Feb 6 2007, 10:25 PM
Lets go fishing!
hi dudes,
I have recently been spending most of my time in the 3 speed picking lessons. However, back along i was watching the Pentatonic position shifting lesson 1, and althought I can seemlessly move from box one to box two as per the video - I a stuck in just these two boxes!! i cannot work out how to weeve all five together!! please help.

Matt wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jete124
Feb 6 2007, 10:48 PM
GMC:er
First make sure you KNOW the other three boxes by heart, not just oh yeah I'm pretty sure I know them. Then, start practicing moving from the 2nd to the 3rd box, and then the 3rd-4th box etc.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Feb 6 2007, 11:08 PM
Lets go fishing!
I know all 5 boxes of by heart, been practing them for some time. I just cant seem to weeve 2 & 3 together!! It was nice in the lesson because Kri shows how to weeve 1 & 2 together.

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
Feb 6 2007, 11:31 PM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Feb 6 2007, 11:08 PM) *
I know all 5 boxes of by heart, been practing them for some time. I just cant seem to weeve 2 & 3 together!! It was nice in the lesson because Kri shows how to weeve 1 & 2 together.

Well as for what excercise to practice I don't know. What I did was learn all five boxes in order and then learnt to play up and down, change to next and play up and down and etc. So not very flexible way because as Kris points out you have to start over every time. But bare with me, when you then can play your scale up and down by playing from low E to high E then back to Low then change all across all boxes then you start by doing something like playing the first two strings then change to the next box, play two strings, change to next box etc.

After a few turns you just know where all the notes are in the Am pentatonic (for example) and then well.. there you go.

Another thing you can do is to try to slide into all the notes. Just sliding from one ntoe in one box to the next and then onto the next. On the same or on another string.

Dont know how much sense I made but.. Well.. uh.. PRACTICE! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
raqroso
Feb 7 2007, 12:12 AM
read the thread titled "2nd Am scale" there are some runs spanning 4 boxes layed out..

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Feb 7 2007, 03:11 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE ([email protected] @ Feb 6 2007, 11:12 PM) *
read the thread titled "2nd Am scale" there are some runs spanning 4 boxes layed out..

Thanks for your help guys. Im still dont really feel I am any the wiser though. If anyone could give me an example of joining *Am* boxes 2 and 3, 3 and 4 together that would be really great, just like kris does at the start of video one! can you help kris??

--------------------

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
Feb 7 2007, 03:41 PM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Feb 7 2007, 03:11 PM) *
Thanks for your help guys. Im still dont really feel I am any the wiser though. If anyone could give me an example of joining *Am* boxes 2 and 3, 3 and 4 together that would be really great, just like kris does at the start of video one! can you help kris??

I'm working on a small "lesson" to show you an example of how to do it wink.gif

Won't be anything special but will show how to use all 5 boxes.

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
Feb 7 2007, 05:07 PM
And here you have it!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=2749

Now get out of those boxes asap! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
chainsbroken
Feb 8 2007, 05:59 AM
Mattacuk.

Kris gives a good example of moving diagonaly in both videos of scales lesson 3. He is using the Em pentatonic scale which is the same patterns of boxes , just in a different key. This lesson helped me out alot in moving through 5 boxes and going from the lowest note to the highest. hope this helps you out some.

This post has been edited by chainsbroken: Feb 8 2007, 06:05 AM

--------------------
Deano

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Feb 8 2007, 01:24 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (chainsbroken @ Feb 8 2007, 04:59 AM) *
Mattacuk.

Kris gives a good example of moving diagonaly in both videos of scales lesson 3. He is using the Em pentatonic scale which is the same patterns of boxes , just in a different key. This lesson helped me out alot in moving through 5 boxes and going from the lowest note to the highest. hope this helps you out some.

Steelsome, thanks for trying , shame i didnt get too see your lesson! smile.gif Chainsbroken, I will take another look thanks!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Steelkonsum
Feb 8 2007, 02:26 PM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Feb 8 2007, 01:24 PM) *
Steelsome, thanks for trying , shame i didnt get too see your lesson! smile.gif Chainsbroken, I will take another look thanks!!!

Uhh it's back. I was bullied into posting it again so 'ere you go. I hope you get something out of it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:50 AM