The Blues Rock Collab Final Mix
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 5 2014, 02:29 PM
Instructor
Hey there guys and gals! First things first, as usual, thank you for participating and making this amazing collab happen! Enjoy the fruits of your labor in the final mix and after that might be you'd like to read a bit through the comments we have put together for you:

Bleez

Hey there Scott! I think you have already proven us a lot of times that you have a great tone and touch on the guitar and what better way to prove it again, if not a blues rock collab in which the pentatonic ground which you are such a big fan of can be used extensively.

Listening to the track, I can notice the rhythmic approach - good spacing of the notes and building a nice theme which breathes - up to 0:17. After this point, I like how you alternate the slower paced phrases with the faster ones and also, you have started using a lot more bending and vibrato then before - that's a great plus!

Now, you tend to lose a bit of direction around 0:32 - it seems like you are pondering a bit about where to go to next. When the chorus comes in at 0:44, things get back into place and the take is alive again, with a great melody and you get back into the verse smoothly out of what I notice.

Also, towards the ending I like how you supported the backing with the themes. Now, I think that in order to improve your playing over this sort of style, you need to build a little more vocabulary and with that, more fluid phrasing will arrive as well - for that, I totally recommend these following lessons:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...onic-sequences/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/phrase-like-guthrie/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...s-intermediate/

Caelumamitendum

Hey Ben smile.gif I love the way in which you begin the solo and I think this whole take has a lot of potential in it, if you would take care of a few details wink.gif I know it's short, but in order to make a take shine, no matter how long or short it is, we have to take into consideration a few aspects:

- timing - play with the backing track and things will sound great. You began very promising, but you lost a bit of groove along the way and thus the take feels a bit unsure.
- expression - your playing was a bit flat - now, I know you went through some stuff with the gear that caused you trouble and I'll put the blame on that, but your vibrato and bending and dynamics, could've been much more expressive.
- note choice - I think you went well here, but because of the timing, the note choice is not so important in this case as it's dragged down but timing a little.

Last but not least, I have a challenge for you - taking this take as one with good potential but which needs work on the things expressed above, how about if you would re-record, for the sake of having a tremendous take - which I know you can bring up to the table - keeping the above things into mind?

Sensible Jones

Hey there Neil, my friend smile.gif

Going through your take, I think about nice lines, not too crowded and well implemented. The only thing that you should focus on, would be the articulation elements such as bending and vibrato, your timing and sense of direction.

Starting out, I notice a nice rhythmic motif from the beginning up to 0:18 - I'd be a bit careful on the pitch towards 0:16 and the vibrato could be stronger. You enter the next part nicely with that squeaky note and up to 0:22 things are building up quite nicely. Around 0:23 up to 0:37, I think you could re-think the note choice as it doesn't do enough justice in combination with the harmony and you tend to lose direction a bit. There are a few notes that sound off and those should be replaces with more scale friendly ones.

After 0:37, the note choice is on the right track until the verse part ends and over the chorus as well, but the timing could be better and the phrasing could be a bit more focused. You seem to be a little unsure about where you will head with the phrasing and that can be felt throughout the take. As recommendations for improving the mentioned aspects, you can go through these lessons, as they are packed with pentatonic goodness:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...osition-switch/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Short-Phrase-Blues/

The last lesson by Sinisa, will help A LOT with articulation as you have to pay attention to a lot of details and I know you love some good ol' classic blues playing biggrin.gif

degroot

Heeeeeeey Joe!! Whatcha playing on thaaaat axe of yours? biggrin.gif

Kidding aside - I have to say: great note choice, expression, timing and whammy bar vibrato skills biggrin.gif Short and sweet and since I got nothing to complain about, I'd just like to point out a few lessons that will develop your whammy bar phrasing further, if you wish to pursue such endeavors:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/whammy_bar_phrasing/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Whammy-Bar-Phrasing-II/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...ibrato-lesson2/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Hit-That-Whammy-Pt1/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Hit-That-Whammy-Pt-2/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/take-c...of-your-whammy/

I think these can keep you busy for a long time as there's more to them than just the whammy bar, but since you are a seasoned player, I'd be curious to hear your takes on some of the above mentioned smile.gif

Gregc1:

Hi Greg! This take is very cool! At first I can say that your tone is very warm and has a very enjoyable sustain. It could be lacking some presence and mids but the sustain makes me want to use it to jam a bit. I like this type of sounds, just check your EQ next time.

Your playing is top level on this take. I think that your technique is very precise and that you played everything with a perfect groove and feeling. I enjoy your vibrato technique as well as the precision f your rhythm in the funky intro.

The composition is good but maybe there is some room to adjustment on this topic. I could divide your take in three sections. The first one is a very cool funky rhythm that is a great intro for the tune. Then you start with the “verse” that is an original melody that I really liked (maybe that’s why it’s part of the final mix!). Then, at 00:31, your solo starts to lack a bit of direction. That long bend and the repetitive ideas make your solo a bit boring on this last section, so if this would be a song, I would probably work a bit more on this section. As this third section of the verse is connected with the chorus, creating some more tension or suspense could be a good idea to then get into the chorus.

Besides this very little detail, your take is very enjoyable, you rock as always.

Opetholic:

Hi friend! Thanks for joining this collab! I know that this is not an easy backing to jam. The verse is very stable and that makes it trickier to create catchy melodies. I think that the overall idea of your solo is interesting. It has some good ideas here and there, as the intro, and some phrases that are repeated at the beginning.

Then, when you reach the second half of your solo, the licks become a bit more predictable and repetitive. So I think that it’s a good starting point that needs some more extra work to become a totally cool solo. If you would want to improve this idea, you should mark the strong points and delete the weaker sections and re-work them.

The same thing happens with the chorus section. For any reason you stay more on the less original licks and repeat them too many times making your solo less personal and in other words a bit boring. Trust more on your own licks!

Technically, your playing is very precise. Both the faster and slower sections have been played very well. Everything sounds in pitch and the chord choose always fit very good over the backing.

Your tone has too much high end for my taste and ears. I would re-check the amp, mic position and maybe the EQ.
Ok mate, all these comments don’t mean that you did a bad job. Your solo is good, but I know that you can give us even more. Keep on rocking!

Rhida:
We worked on this solo at Gab’s Army so you already know most of my thoughts about your playing and the composition of this solo. You polished many details regarding unwanted noises, timing and string bending.

As you can hear in the final mix, I decided to take the melody that you created for the intro and add my harmonization. I think that it’s the stronger part of your solo with some parts of the chorus. The verse composition is not very defined.

I think that you still have to work on your soloing in two directions: composition (improvisation) and technique. Regarding the composition or improvisation aspect, we are already working on my improvisations tasks at Gab’s Army, so we are on it! Regarding technique, this take shows that you need to work hard on your bending technique because most of those bends don’t reach the correct pitch, but you also have to work on timing and vibrato. I won’t share lessons here because we are already working on weekly routines at my personal board.

So, thanks for joining this lesson, keep working hard and stay tuned for the next collab which will begin very soon!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 5 2014, 02:42 PM
Instructor
Congrats and thanks everybody!! I enjoyed a lot working on this collab and the final video + mix are amazing. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Rhida
Sep 5 2014, 02:59 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
That's awesome! I learned a lot from this collab.
And thanks for the feedback and your constant support.

And congrats to all the players who participated!

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Sep 5 2014, 03:10 PM
Learning Tone Master

Great collab guys!!! smile.gif Congrats for all of you and also for the final mix smile.gif Gab, I liked very much how you finished this collab. Your final part was like a cherry on top wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 5 2014, 03:15 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Sep 5 2014, 11:10 AM) *
Great collab guys!!! smile.gif Congrats for all of you and also for the final mix smile.gif Gab, I liked very much how you finished this collab. Your final part was like a cherry on top wink.gif

Thanks Moni. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 6 2014, 02:44 AM
GMC:er
Great job everyone! Another one for the books smile.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 6 2014, 12:41 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
thats an impressive mix, excellent job on putting that together. sounds very good.
Thanks for the comments and lesson suggestions, Ill check them out. smile.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 6 2014, 01:48 PM
Instructor
It's always a pleasure to see you guys applying what you are learning here and making music - never forget that's your ultimate quest wink.gif Expressing yourselves with what you learn here at GMC and not only smile.gif Cheers to all and thank you once again!

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Sep 6 2014, 02:13 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero

Sounds great everyone! Thank you for the lesson suggestions. I will be looking into these for sure. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 6 2014, 03:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Sep 6 2014, 01:13 PM) *
Sounds great everyone! Thank you for the lesson suggestions. I will be looking into these for sure. smile.gif

Always a pleasure, mate! Congrats once again on some stellar playing!

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Sep 6 2014, 04:28 PM
Awesome job everybody!!
Thanks for the comments Cos, I know it was all a bit sloppy but I really didn't have time to construct anything properly. sad.gif
I'll do a whole lot better in the next one, especially with those lesson suggestions and what I've been working on with Gab!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 7 2014, 08:34 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Sep 6 2014, 03:28 PM) *
Awesome job everybody!!
Thanks for the comments Cos, I know it was all a bit sloppy but I really didn't have time to construct anything properly. sad.gif
I'll do a whole lot better in the next one, especially with those lesson suggestions and what I've been working on with Gab!
biggrin.gif

That sounds very good, mate - I know you've been busy with your brother's wedding, so no worries wink.gif Please keep me updated about the suggested lessons progress - and you know we can start working on them anytime you wish in a mentoring thread smile.gif All you have to do is let me know and we can begin!

+Quote Post
gregc1
Sep 7 2014, 05:54 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Mix sounded great! Congrats to everyone involved.

Thank you for the comments Cosmin. I agree with you across the board. I'll be tweaking my tone and yes, I got a little lazy in that last section biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 8 2014, 07:11 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (gregc1 @ Sep 7 2014, 04:54 PM) *
Mix sounded great! Congrats to everyone involved.

Thank you for the comments Cosmin. I agree with you across the board. I'll be tweaking my tone and yes, I got a little lazy in that last section biggrin.gif

Now worries mate wink.gif You always bring samples of amazing playing to the collabs when you participate, so I think you have nothing to worry about! We're looking forward to having you with us in the future ones as well wink.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Sep 8 2014, 08:16 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 7 2014, 08:34 AM) *
That sounds very good, mate - I know you've been busy with your brother's wedding, so no worries wink.gif Please keep me updated about the suggested lessons progress - and you know we can start working on them anytime you wish in a mentoring thread smile.gif All you have to do is let me know and we can begin!

Thanks for the offer Cos, much appreciated! I'll definitely take you up on it!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Ulrik
Sep 8 2014, 08:44 PM
Learning Rock Star
Good job guys!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 9 2014, 07:46 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Sep 8 2014, 07:16 PM) *
Thanks for the offer Cos, much appreciated! I'll definitely take you up on it!
biggrin.gif

Alright mate! Well then - here's your personal thread - take a look inside and let's start the work:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=52965

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Feb 13 2015, 06:48 AM
Veteran Tone Master
Very Nice all, good job smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:16 AM