What Would You Like To Express With Your Music?
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 5 2014, 07:40 PM
Instructor
Hey guys! This morning I saw James Hetfield's speech at this thread by Cosmin and there he says that he was a very shy person and thanks to music he has found the way to express himself, to say things to the world.

I usually find music empty when it lacks a message, a story, something to transmit besides the combination of chords, scales, techniques, tones, etc...

So the question is... what do you want to express with your music? what inspires you to write a song or at least to have the intention to write a song?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Feb 5 2014, 09:52 PM
Learning Tone Master
In my case I want express a mood not a story behind some licks smile.gif It's hard to explain but I will try it smile.gif
When I play or I compose something, all of this creates me joy, happiness, I'm feel good as hell and all bad things it's faraway from me and nothing can touch me and change this awesome mood smile.gif I would like people when listen my music to feel the same thing: that peace of the soul and the emotion brings by some chords, tones, raking... etc

What inspires me? Some specifical tone, different tonalities of notes, some techniques like raking (I'm really obsessed to hear raking), too much musical ideas in my head that sounds every day obsesive in my mind, the sound of rain, Christmas mood, and of course like everybody some states of mind smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ulrik
Feb 5 2014, 10:26 PM
Learning Rock Star
Many subjects to write lyrics about.
I enjoy nonsense fantasy lyrics by power metal bands.

Religious people shoving their views down my throat or killing people, could inspire me to some really agressive lyrics.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Feb 6 2014, 12:37 AM
Learning Tone Master
I don't think there is anything I(this capitol letter was for Ben)want to express
But it feels like there is something inside of me and the only way out is thru a guitar full of distortion

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 6 2014, 09:40 AM
Instructor
Great thread here Gabi! To me, music is a vessel carrying a message. As you said, if the vessel is empty, it is useless.

In time, I realized that what I felt needed to be expressed more vividly so that others may perceive it too. For instance, when I was young, I felt a lot of emotions, I wanted to transmit them but I wasn't sure how to do it in the best way, through music, of course. After gaining more experience, I started to grasp the subtleties of the instrument more and more, but guess what... The real punch came when I started writing lyrics and combining the words with the music, creating a state of mind or a much more defined mental picture of the message I wanted to transmit...

I wrote exclusively about personal emotions/occurrences that I knew were in many ways related to what other people felt. It's a strong message that can reach a lot of people and maybe change something for them.

As an artist you are DIRECTLY responsible for the message you transmit - that's what a very wise man once told me.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 6 2014, 01:08 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 5 2014, 07:40 PM) *
So the question is... what do you want to express with your music? what inspires you to write a song or at least to have the intention to write a song?

I think for me is the very excitement of creating something new from scratch. I see it as sort of putting Legos together to create endless buildings and objects just like when I was a kid. I remember endless hours compositing songs when I was a kid in a software I had (forgot its name but it was awesome - it would allow to multitrack midi based instruments which had pretty cool sound banks connected to them). To this day - I still do it for the very fun of building a song together. The feeling of having a song complete, recorded and published is just amazing! smile.gif What also drives me is the fact that the song I record will stay in the "music library" of the world forever. When composing, I have a certain vision/tune or atmosphere I'm trying to paint and it always amazes me where I end up. Also, it is very cool to hear how others interpret the song and the lyrics as it affects everyone in a different way.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 6 2014, 06:29 PM
Instructor
It's very interesting how each of us has a different way to see the same thing, however there is a strong connection between each comment shared here. I have the hypothesis that in the case of composers like Monica and Bogdan (for example), their music comes directly from the unconscious, and if you analyze the results even more, you will be able to learn more about yourself. While Cosmin interacts a bit more and gives more tangible meaning to his music, with the addition of words.

What do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Feb 7 2014, 07:55 AM
Learning Tone Master
You have right and it's a strong connection between all of us smile.gif Reading what Bogdan wrote I remembered how many hours I spent when I was younger making songs in Dance EJay. It was a banal program (first musical program that I learned) consisting of library of samples, but all that process to choose the right pieces and make a full song was awesome and addictive. I always compared this thing with a puzzle and I still use this comparison biggrin.gif

I never thought to analyze the final result, I mean in a deep way wink.gif Of course I always take care about the result, like a respect for myself and for others. But you make me think serious at this smile.gif

About write lyrics, I think Cosmin has an advantage with this strong skill. He can express in a direct way all the feelings and this brings him more close to listeners.
With lyrics, your song will have exactly the "color" that you want. People will understand the message that you want to share and I guess this is what every musician want. It's really an art to be able to write good lyrics and I mentioned "good" because I not consider lyrics 10 words that are repeating the whole song wink.gif

Gab, what you can tell us about how is all these things for you? What do you want to express and what inspires you to write songs? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 7 2014, 12:17 PM
Instructor
Thank you Monica - mind you, that I wasn't always into lyrics, as I think I have mentioned smile.gif There were times when I had NO clue about what a certain song was saying and I was skipping to the solo laugh.gif Now, I skip over the solo laugh.gif

Kidding aside smile.gif I think that each melody, has to transmit a message which is a combo of lyrics, groove, melody. The rest are just elements which spice it up, but the powerful trio is this that I mentioned before, in my humble opinion.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:25 PM