My Challenge
Jeff
Feb 7 2008, 01:06 AM
GMC:er
Hi GMC! smile.gif

I've been a member almost two years now and I've learned so much already. I would like to present a challenge that I have created for myself but I need some help from someone.
I've decided to take one lesson from each instructor, learn it completely and then post it on the site. I need someone to help me stay motivated - in other words, I need to be accountable to someone who will stay on me about keeping committed to my plan and not let me give up. This will take some time and cooperation, but I think will be well worth the results in the end. In return, I will help you stay committed to a similar plan.
Here is what I am proposing to learn and play:
  • Marcus - Evening Blues - 2/28 Got it all down except for the tapping at the end.
  • Gabe - F# Phrygian - B minor Solo - 2/16 This is progressing much better than I anticipated. Should be done in a few days
  • DNAFT - Johan Larsson - 2/16 -here is my first take. [attachment=4603:DNAFT.mp3] There are mistakes that I'm working through but I thought I might post a "before and after" sort of thing. I'll post another when I've learned it better.
  • Wallimann - Metal Head
  • Kris - Curious Coincidence
  • Jerry - Nuno Bettencourt
  • Muris - Mark Knoplfer Style
  • Pavel - Luca Turilli Style
  • Ben - D Pentatonic Bending
This is certainly enough to keep me busy and these lessons are ambitious, but I will do my best to complete these lessons and I will post them to this thread. As I said, I do need some help because it's easy to get frustrated. mellow.gif

Is anyone out there interested in joining me in a similar challenge? unsure.gif biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by jeff: Feb 29 2008, 01:25 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Tjchep
Feb 7 2008, 01:10 AM
I'd be super interested in doing something like this, I always loose motivation with these kinds of things.

If your fine with that Ill figure out the lessons later tonight.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Feb 7 2008, 01:12 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
HI Jeff,

Im very interested in doing it.

Let me know.

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
Jeff
Feb 7 2008, 01:14 AM
QUOTE (Tjchep @ Feb 6 2008, 07:10 PM) *
I'd be super interested in doing something like this, I always loose motivation with these kinds of things.

If your fine with that Ill figure out the lessons later tonight.

Absolutely! biggrin.gif I find that I stay motivated if I am accountable to someone else. Hopefully, we can come up with a working plan. Thanks!! I look forward to seeing your list. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jeff
Feb 7 2008, 01:15 AM
QUOTE (coffeeman @ Feb 6 2008, 07:12 PM) *
HI Jeff,

Im very interested in doing it.

Let me know.

I think we can have several members that we can be accountable too. The more help we get the better! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Nick325
Feb 7 2008, 01:37 AM
k here it is if im doing good and when i finish most lessons ill add some more

-Windind Roadsgot the first 2 parts down

-Hand Control got half of it down

-Alternate Picking 1i memorized some of the first patterns but get the speed up will be tough

-Vibrato 3 finished and will record and post later

-Legato Metal Riffs

-Pull-offs got it down

-Artificial and Natural Harmonics half way through

these are lessons to practice my technique

This post has been edited by Nick325: Mar 30 2008, 08:02 PM

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 7 2008, 01:54 AM
Instructor
Seems like an awesome idea,looking forward to see some progress,
you rock guys!!! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Feb 7 2008, 04:01 AM
Well I didnt do it by instructor, just what i mostly needed help on, and once i get all these things sorted out (I'll be practicing sweeps on the side)

Then after this its all about applying all my techniques to theory. So this, is the easy part.

I know this is nine!! But I Figure in 4-6 months I should have all these down pretty good, some will be done within the first couple weeks, other, Ill just have to memorize and then practice like a.. lot.

And I'll be again brushing up on all my theory I learn in the summer in High school theory and harmony classes next year.

Progressive Metal Rhythm Lesson

Opeth style lesson

David Gilmour Style Lesson 2 - Lead

String Skipping Lesson 2

Jazz Soloing - Neighbour Notes

Fusion Jam - Intermediate

Stamina Lesson - Speed Bursts

8 Finger Tapping Lesson

Swingy Fingerpicking

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Feb 7 2008, 04:05 AM
Learning Rock Star
Id like to be a part of this! smile.gif My lessons are:
Muris Varajic AP
Pavel's 3 and 5 String sweeping

After learning those 2 better: Winding Roads smile.gif

--------------------

But still I want answers, what's the point, what does all this mean?

+Quote Post
Iron King
Feb 7 2008, 07:21 AM
this is a good idea, I have a lot of trouble seeing a lesson all the way through.
Right now I'm a rhythm player so I chose these lessons to help me be good at that and move on to lead
I'm gonna work on these intermediate lessons:

Wah-wah Funk Rhythm Lesson - Ivan

Intermediate Rock Lesson - Gabriel

Rock Rhythm n Solo Lesson 8 - Pavel

Kirk Hammett Style- Kris

No Upstrokes Allowed! - Kai

I'm gonna film myself the first time I try a lesson and then again after I spend a lot of time with it... just to see if I improved

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Feb 7 2008, 09:04 AM
Instructor
Oh, nobody loves my lessons sad.gif

just joking !!! laugh.giflaugh.gif all these lessons are great wink.gif and it's a really good idea... in fact I'm working in Marcus Neoclassical one and in some Muri's lessons (this guy is amazing !! wink.gif )

+Quote Post
preownedguitar
Feb 7 2008, 09:21 AM
This is a great idea. It would be nice to have maybe a list of people who want to group up as partners and maybe a group of two to however many you want in the group pick a couple lessons together. The group would work on practicing the lessons and recording their parts of the lesson and the posts it for the other member to grade and give them feedback on what they should work on. They could record the parts they are having trouble with and ask how other people have approached that certain part of the lesson. BTW, Juan wheres your Tecnocopter lesson!! hahaha. I like your polyphonic tapping lessons and progressive riffings, esp the 2nd one. I love your lessons so you better start making more when you get the time!!!

--------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strings:
Any 9-42's for strings.
Amp:
Carvin Bel Air 212 (2x12 50 Watt all tube), Carvin 212E Cabinet (2x12 120w)
Gutars:
Ibanez RG2550e Prestige, Galaxy black
94' Fender Stratocaster Black w/Black pearl pickguard
Pedals:
Keeley Flexi 4x12 Ibanez Tube Screamer
Keeley DS-1 Ultra
Keeley Compressor
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah
Pod X3 Live
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
Iron King
Feb 7 2008, 09:42 AM
QUOTE (Juan M. Valero @ Feb 7 2008, 03:04 AM) *

just joking !!! laugh.giflaugh.gif all these lessons are great wink.gif and it's a really good idea... in fact I'm working in Marcus Neoclassical one and in some Muri's lessons (this guy is amazing !! wink.gif )

you're lessons are great man... it's just that they are a bit above my current level tongue.gif
I gotta say though, I've been looking through your lessons and the whole Touch method seems interesting. I'll be sure to check it out in the near future

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Feb 7 2008, 11:26 AM
Instructor
Fantasic idea! Great initiative Jeff! biggrin.gif

I'm very happy to see my lessons are on these lists. Let me know if you guys need any help with them smile.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Feb 7 2008, 12:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Iron King @ Feb 7 2008, 09:42 AM) *
you're lessons are great man... it's just that they are a bit above my current level tongue.gif
I gotta say though, I've been looking through your lessons and the whole Touch method seems interesting. I'll be sure to check it out in the near future

hehe, thank you, I'm so happy you enjoy my Touch Metod biggrin.gif
and I take in mind doing easier lessons, don't worry !

+Quote Post
Jeff
Feb 7 2008, 03:22 PM
QUOTE (Juan M. Valero @ Feb 7 2008, 03:04 AM) *

just joking !!! laugh.gif laugh.gif all these lessons are great wink.gif and it's a really good idea... in fact I'm working in Marcus Neoclassical one and in some Muri's lessons (this guy is amazing !! wink.gif )

laugh.gif I certainly like your lessons Juan, and I definitely plan on adding one to my list. I know it will take me some time to complete the ones that I have listed above. But I think your lesson where you use your ring to slide on the string is awesome. I'll need to add that to my list!

+Quote Post
Jeff
Feb 7 2008, 03:25 PM
QUOTE (Tjchep @ Feb 6 2008, 10:01 PM) *
Well I didnt do it by instructor, just what i mostly needed help on, and once i get all these things sorted out (I'll be practicing sweeps on the side)

Then after this its all about applying all my techniques to theory. So this, is the easy part.

I know this is nine!! But I Figure in 4-6 months I should have all these down pretty good, some will be done within the first couple weeks, other, Ill just have to memorize and then practice like a.. lot.

And I'll be again brushing up on all my theory I learn in the summer in High school theory and harmony classes next year.

Progressive Metal Rhythm Lesson

Opeth style lesson

David Gilmour Style Lesson 2 - Lead

String Skipping Lesson 2

Jazz Soloing - Neighbour Notes

Fusion Jam - Intermediate

Stamina Lesson - Speed Bursts

8 Finger Tapping Lesson

Swingy Fingerpicking

Sounds good! I am trying to complete my GMC Medley collaboration part - Evening Blues. So I'll do the whole song after the collab. And I'll start there. I predict with my schedule, I should be done within the next two weeks. smile.gif

+Quote Post
steve25
Feb 7 2008, 07:48 PM
I would like to join you crazy GMCers soon, however at the current time i don't have an awful lot of time on my hands at the moment, but rest assured in a few weeks or so i will post here with some lessons that i WILL complete

+Quote Post
Jeff
Feb 11 2008, 11:14 PM
How are you guys doing so far? I've added a little update to my progress. smile.gif

+Quote Post
steve25
Feb 11 2008, 11:42 PM
Ok Jeff, i'm joing you, however my schedule is going to be a bit different here but hopefully it'll prove to help me progress well. I'm roughly going to spend 4 hours a day practicing, 2 hours of that will be GMC stuff

Non GMC lessons

Warmup: Dio - Holy Diver (nice and simple)

Vibrato practice - Slight speed increase

Picking - 115bpm

Tapping - 100bpm

Scales - around 110bpm

Iron Maiden - Hallowed Be Thy Name (3/9)

Improvising

GMC Stuff!

Marcus Lavendell - Neoclassical solo beginner (80%)

Toni - Melodic death metal (50%)

Pavel - Sweeping basics 1 (40%)

Toni - Death metal (not started)

Marcus Lavendell - Vibrato 1 (not started)

Juan - Progressive riffing (not started)

For now i think that'll do, i don't want to fill myself with too much if you get what i mean smile.gif.

EDIT: Added juan progressive riffing, forgot that one earlier

This post has been edited by steve25: Feb 22 2008, 11:36 AM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:24 PM