2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Favorite Guitar Pickups?
eLeCtRoFrEaK0036
Jan 18 2013, 02:06 AM
GMC:er
Well... I just purchased the Seymour Duncan Dimebucker (Dimebag's pickup) pickup and I'm desperately waiting to put it in my guitar to play around with it. In the meanwhile, I'm just curious on what kind of pickups you guys are using and your opinion on them. (Post a picture of the pickup your using if you want)
-Isiah Drew

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Follow me on Twitter
Visit My Website
Please like my Facebook page
Please Subscribe to my Youtube Channel

There's only room for improvement. Never give up on what you love!
#TheWorldisYours

-IsiahDrew
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Jan 18 2013, 03:36 AM
Learning Rock Star
I use Duncan 59s and JB's in my Gibson and absolutely looooooove the sound out of them. Awesome for the rock style we play ! biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

But still I want answers, what's the point, what does all this mean?

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jan 18 2013, 06:13 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Stevie-Ray-Vaughn @ Jan 18 2013, 02:36 AM) *
I use Duncan 59s and JB's in my Gibson and absolutely looooooove the sound out of them. Awesome for the rock style we play ! biggrin.gif

I have the same set of pickups in my Gibson. Some complain about the JB being too bright with a mahogany top. I personally love the tone from them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jan 18 2013, 09:20 AM
Learning Roadie
I'm a fan of Bare Knuckle as a brand

I have the piledriver set in my Tele, they are nice and hot, and will compete with humbuckers, but they clean up nicely with the volume knob. I'll put the Irish Tour middle pickup in there when I have some spare cash to make a Nashville Tele.

I also have the Emeralds in my Burny LP, they are vintage hot and don't get muddy, I was recommended these for playing stuff like Story of the year and Rise Against.

I avoid Seymour Duncan purely on the experience of the Lil '59 Tele bridge pickup which I hated.

Dimarizo Area single coils are lovely and I have them in my neck and middle of my Tyler.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jan 18 2013, 09:42 AM
Theory Instructor
I'm a big fan of Sheptone pickups. Hand made just for your guitar and specs, and very affordable. Worth checking out.

http://sheptone.com/

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 18 2013, 10:23 AM
Instructor
Gotta give it up for the Cold Sweat from Bareknuckle - one of my band mates has one on his very cheap Ibanez baritone and that guitar sounds like heaven biggrin.gif

I am happy with the pickups that were installed on my PRS guitars, although I would be very curious to hear the Cold Sweat on my baritone too smile.gif

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Jan 18 2013, 11:31 AM
Seymour Duncan Distortion or JB (DDJ of course).
Jb's best choice for guitar with mahagony body.

+Quote Post
JD_
Jan 18 2013, 11:42 AM
Learning Roadie
I have tried alot of pickps, in my 2 Washburn Nuno sig models.... I honestly recomend the AT-100, Andy Timmons sig pup... amazing... does everything, even metal.... but if you want a awesome metal sound, JP's Crunch Lab and Liquifire set are a gift from God... :-)

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jan 18 2013, 01:20 PM
Current pickup sets.

Stock Ibanez (These need changed just not sure what I want either BKP Aftermaths or Dimarizo Evos)
Crunch LAb/Liquifire (currently my fav setup I own)

Past.

I owned a Dimebucker back when I had my Dean Dime-O-Flame, it took a week before I ripped that bad boy out.
EMG 81/85 ended up in most of my guitars either stock or installed.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Jan 18 2013, 02:39 PM
Satriani's old favorite the DiMarzio FRED DP153 in my BC Rich Gunslinger for all around tone and harmonics since these guitars have only one pickup.

Stock Duncan's in my two Japaneese Jackson DK2M's (TB-4 at the bridge, and an SH-2N at the neck)

Dimarzio X2N DP102 bridge position in my Kramer Pacer, with the stock alnico at the neck for a nice warm tone.

DiMarzio Air Norton S DP180 in my franken strat with a vintage blues DP402 center and heavy blues DP409 at neck position.

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 18 2013, 02:54 PM
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jan 18 2013, 08:20 AM) *
I'm a fan of Bare Knuckle as a brand

I also have the Emeralds in my Burny LP, they are vintage hot and don't get muddy, I was recommended these for playing stuff like Story of the year and Rise Against.

I avoid Seymour Duncan purely on the experience of the Lil '59 Tele bridge pickup which I hated.

Tell me more about the Emeralds.
I'm looking for something for the bridge pkup of a strat. I've had a few full size 'buckers in there that are OK. I'm not concerned about a volume mis-match with the neck and middle but I want it to be able to clean up a bit and still have some sweetness when I back my guitar's volume down. Right now I've got a DiMarzio 'Air Zone' (F spaced, though that's not a deal breaker either way). Prior to that I had a 1986 JB (Alnico as opposed to current ceramic mags). These both sound great wide open and with the gain up (on either the amp or a pedal) but when I back off they both become very dull and lifeless.

*Oddly, I originally had a SD little '59 in there which 'may' have been the best of the bunch for me. I'd like to try and keep a full sized humbucker in there (I don't wanna cut another guard).

Thanks in advance, - KL

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jan 18 2013, 02:58 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 18 2013, 03:20 PM
Nice!!!! That pickup just RAWKS!!! It's not for everyone, and some folks HATE Them, but just love em to death!!!!! They have staggering gain for a passive pickup and can cut through a mix like nothing else. Good call.

I"m fond of EMG pickups personally, although I"m less obsessed by them than I used to be smile.gif I"m starting to really dig ALNICO MAGNET Pickups now that I can hear the difference. They have a way of emphasizing pick strikes/mutes that I really dig smile.gif But here are a couple of pix with some EMG axes I"ve owned and loved smile.gif.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

QUOTE (eLeCtRoFrEaK0036 @ Jan 17 2013, 08:06 PM) *
Well... I just purchased the Seymour Duncan Dimebucker (Dimebag's pickup) pickup and I'm desperately waiting to put it in my guitar to play around with it. In the meanwhile, I'm just curious on what kind of pickups you guys are using and your opinion on them. (Post a picture of the pickup your using if you want)
-Isiah Drew

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jan 18 2013, 04:20 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jan 18 2013, 01:54 PM) *
Tell me more about the Emeralds.
I'm looking for something for the bridge pkup of a strat. I've had a few full size 'buckers in there that are OK. I'm not concerned about a volume mis-match with the neck and middle but I want it to be able to clean up a bit and still have some sweetness when I back my guitar's volume down. Right now I've got a DiMarzio 'Air Zone' (F spaced, though that's not a deal breaker either way). Prior to that I had a 1986 JB (Alnico as opposed to current ceramic mags). These both sound great wide open and with the gain up (on either the amp or a pedal) but when I back off they both become very dull and lifeless.

*Oddly, I originally had a SD little '59 in there which 'may' have been the best of the bunch for me. I'd like to try and keep a full sized humbucker in there (I don't wanna cut another guard).

Thanks in advance, - KL

The Emeralds are fairly bright so work well in an LP, could work in a Strat depending on the wood.

With Bare knuckle I find the best thing to do is send an email describing what you are looking for and/or youtube clips they are pretty good at recommending the right pick up.

For what you have said the Dimarzio AT1 Andy Timmons model might be worth looking at

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 18 2013, 06:09 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
At the moment I'm digging my stock American Fender Jazz Bass deluxe pickups but I heard Dimarzio Ultra Jazz are excellent as a replacement. As ultimate Jazz Bass mod - I would say Audere Audio preamp is an excellent choice. Too bad we can't get them over here.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 18 2013, 06:46 PM
One of my Ibanez has a Jazz/ JB Jnr set in with a DiMarzio Evo Single in the middle. Great mix of sounds from cleans through to more modern hi-gain stuff. Not as hot as some people like but very versatile.
My other Ibanez is going to have an SH-6 /SH-10 set in also combining the DiMarzio Evo SC in the middle. This will be more of a modern Hi-Gain guitar.

For custom pickups I can heartily recommend Bareknuckle!!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 19 2013, 01:03 AM
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jan 18 2013, 03:20 PM) *
For what you have said the Dimarzio AT1 Andy Timmons model might be worth looking at

Thanks man! Maybe an AT will be the next one in.

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jan 19 2013, 01:38 AM
Instructor
Ibanez Super58 J. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
eLeCtRoFrEaK0036
Jan 19 2013, 04:29 AM
Well... thanks to everyone for sharing. This my first pickup purchase and I hope to buy a lot more to try out!

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 18 2013, 02:20 PM) *
Nice!!!! That pickup just RAWKS!!! It's not for everyone, and some folks HATE Them, but just love em to death!!!!! They have staggering gain for a passive pickup and can cut through a mix like nothing else. Good call.

I"m fond of EMG pickups personally, although I"m less obsessed by them than I used to be smile.gif I"m starting to really dig ALNICO MAGNET Pickups now that I can hear the difference. They have a way of emphasizing pick strikes/mutes that I really dig smile.gif But here are a couple of pix with some EMG axes I"ve owned and loved smile.gif.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Yes!! After reading couple reviews and watching some videos I decided to get this pickup just for it's high output. I just can't wait for it! Thanks for sharing your stuff. I only have two guitar at the moment haha. I plan to get a 7 string though.

I've never tried "Bare Knuckle" pickups, but I think I will after hearing such great things about them. I also want to try out Alexi Laiho's signature pickup!

--------------------
Follow me on Twitter
Visit My Website
Please like my Facebook page
Please Subscribe to my Youtube Channel

There's only room for improvement. Never give up on what you love!
#TheWorldisYours

-IsiahDrew

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 19 2013, 08:50 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jan 19 2013, 12:03 AM) *
Thanks man! Maybe an AT will be the next one in.

Well, since Andy has a superb tone, I think you can't go wrong with that one smile.gif

+Quote Post
VikingBlues
Jan 19 2013, 04:15 PM
So far my favourite pickups have been Seymour Duncan / Seth Lover SH55s. Upgrade to stock pickups on my Hagstrom Viking Deluxe with these - turned a good guitar into an exceptional one, and into what is now my #1 choice "go to" guitar. Very responsive to subtelties in playing and I have a preference for this sort of Vintage style of pups - clear with natural ringing sustain. cool.gif

I'm afraid I'm a bit of a serial upgrader recently on pickups. Got hold of a PRS SE Soapbar and an upgrade to Tonerider Vintage Alnico II P90s were a hugely worthwhile investment. Also my self build "Strat" originally had Wilkinson pickups in it - very good value for the money - but a recent upgrade to handmade single coils by a one man band were a huge improvement.

I used to think that a pickup upgrade was just for the sound / tonal benefit, but I feel now that really good pups bring a huge improvement to playability too.

--------------------
Still learning guitar - always will be learning.

My Soundclick

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:52 AM