Amp Suggestions For New Acoustic
Vinman56
Mar 23 2015, 02:30 AM
Learning Rock Star
hey everyone i jsut bought a new epiphone acoustic/electric today. ive been playing for awhile but ive never had an acoustic so i dont have an amp for it and i dont know much about acoustic gear. just looking for some suggestions. and im not rich so preferably something affordable. i also dont need anything all that loud either. any suggestions would be helpful thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 23 2015, 10:24 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hey Vinman56 - that is a very nice looking acoustic guitar, congrats on the purchase! smile.gif

For what purpose do you need the amp for it? Acoustic guitar amps is a bit of new area for me as well but usually I'd see guitarists hooking up those acoustic guitars directly to the mixer and going through the PA system on gigs. Even big ones. I don't think I have ever seen an acoustic guitar amp being used.

For home practice you could do a similar thing by hooking up to your computer using the audio card input if you have one and playing over the speakers connected to the audio card or monitoring system if you have those. Do you have a regular guitar amp? If I'm not mistaken (someone please correct me smile.gif ), you could just hook up to the guitar amp and dial in your tone there. Acoustic amp should be in essence similar just a bit more tuned to handling the acoustic guitar instrument.

I gave a quick look to what is available in local stores here when it comes to acoustic amps and those are ones such as : Fender Acoustasonic 150 Combo and Laney LA65D. Have no experience with them though.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Vinman56
Mar 23 2015, 12:50 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Mar 23 2015, 09:24 AM) *
Hey Vinman56 - that is a very nice looking acoustic guitar, congrats on the purchase! smile.gif

For what purpose do you need the amp for it? Acoustic guitar amps is a bit of new area for me as well but usually I'd see guitarists hooking up those acoustic guitars directly to the mixer and going through the PA system on gigs. Even big ones. I don't think I have ever seen an acoustic guitar amp being used.

For home practice you could do a similar thing by hooking up to your computer using the audio card input if you have one and playing over the speakers connected to the audio card or monitoring system if you have those. Do you have a regular guitar amp? If I'm not mistaken (someone please correct me smile.gif ), you could just hook up to the guitar amp and dial in your tone there. Acoustic amp should be in essence similar just a bit more tuned to handling the acoustic guitar instrument.

I gave a quick look to what is available in local stores here when it comes to acoustic amps and those are ones such as : Fender Acoustasonic 150 Combo and Laney LA65D. Have no experience with them though.

no specific purpose really and going straight through the PA is what i heard as well. ill check that out though thanks. i am playing a song at the ceremony for my brothers wedding but again i could go through the DJs PA i guess

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 23 2015, 02:03 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Vinman56 @ Mar 23 2015, 12:50 PM) *
no specific purpose really and going straight through the PA is what i heard as well. ill check that out though thanks. i am playing a song at the ceremony for my brothers wedding but again i could go through the DJs PA i guess

I think that it would be the best option. Especially if you are also singing the song on the wedding so that your guitar gets mixed with voice and played via the PA system. Now this depends on the mixing console, sometimes it is good to have a DI unit in between guitar and mixing console. DI converts unbalanced signal to line level balanced signal. On big stages you'd usually see a DI box waiting for acoustic guitar to plug into, just to keep things safe and correctly connected.

When playing at home I'd just play it over computer speakers or possibly think of getting some monitoring speakers (Such as KRK Rokit series), in order to hear both acoustic tone and tone coming from the acoustic guitar electronics (mic or piezzo).

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 23 2015, 02:42 PM
GMC:er
Yesterday a friend of mine also bought an acoustic guitar, a nice yamaha that has 2 mic.s in it that can be blended to taste.

We did test it on the small PA system at the shop and it sounded pretty good. Keep in mind even the smallest mix consoles has eq on them, probably won't need detailed adjustments just give some balance to the tone (incase its too bright or big) and you should be ready smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:17 PM