What would you do
Steve
Jun 30 2006, 07:17 AM
GMC:er
I am in a crummy situation. I got electiricuted playing guitar today, doubt I can press charges, and have to pay some money just to forget about the whole thing.

Okay, I am currently at home teaching and working to save up money. I go to college in another town about 40 minutes away (with good traffic).

I put up some money to rent a studio at a local music store in this town to get students so when I go back to college in the fall I would have a way of making money. The guy who owns the store told me "there are no gaurentees". The rent is 60 bucks a month for one day outta the week plus a 60 dollar security deposit. sad.gif

I pay the rent for two months and get no students. No students and it's summer. The guy told me that he hasn't gotten one call. I didn't even go into the studio because of the drive. I later found out the guy doesn't advertise at all and his busness phone is just his car phone :shock

I finally got one student today and went in the studio to teach there for the first time. I plug in a guitar to one of the guys amp and I touch the strings to get electricuted. The student unplugged me fast (good reflexes) :eye so to try and keep my cool I taught the kid's first lesson unplugged. I was still very shakey. I told the guy and he told me "I probably should of told you about that". Ha ha ha >:<

After the kid left I found out that The guy didn't get my checks, "that's your own business" is what he told me. This stuff sliped my mind being without teaching for so long.

Theres more :arrow

The rent is due tomorrow and I wanna just quit renting there, but since I didn't give the guy "1 month notice!!!" I have to pay an early cancelation fee.
:smoke

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lezenko
Jun 30 2006, 08:40 PM
Well first of all you can sue.

Its to do with health and safety. Assuming that he knew by saying "I probabbly should of told you about that". He should of got an electrcian to check the problem immediatly.

If a health and safety officer had known about it, he wouldnt of allowwed anybody to go in until the problem was fixed.

As for paying the money to forget the whole thing, who is that? the student or the guy that owns the place? because either way that was a wrong move. If anything the guy who owns the place should of paid you!!

If it was me, i would of taken him to court knowing that he knew full well that the electric wasnt running right, and it could of killed you in a matter of moments if your student had not been there.

So what i propose is this, you get a tape recorder (dont let him see it). Ask him why he didnt tell you about it, wait for him to slip up. Then leave and visit your lawyer/solicitor.

If you need any more help let me know!

And i speak not as music artist but as a friend!

LeZeNkO

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Steve
Jun 30 2006, 09:50 PM
I don't think it was fatal but I don't know what I would have done if the student was in my position.

As far as the fatal thing, when I researched, the term electrocution can only be used if it is fatal. I experience a muscle spasm from the shock and wasn't able to let go. I don't have any external burns or know how many volts were in the current. People have died from as little as 32 volts. It was not like one of the electric "joke" shockers I really felt helpless.

However, I canceled business with the guy, don't have to pay him a dime, and he called me "irresponsible", what a professional. I only have experience teaching from my home, I had no idea how this guy was gonna run things. I didn't feel like drawing any thing out any more. All the guy wanted was my money, and he felt bad that he couldn't get any more out of me, so he called me irresponsible.

I'm a nice guy, I get trampled on and taken advantage of and eventually ,god forbid since I have a 2nd degree black belt, I'll explode on somebody.

I'll just consider this a failed venture and play some frank gambale licks to take my mind off of it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:34 PM