2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Pinky Power & Alternate Picking, Quick Licks #14 Combining Techniques, Pinky Power, Alternate Picking
Todd Simpson
Feb 10 2018, 10:12 PM
GMC:er
QUICK LICKS #14 (Combining Multiple Techniques)

INTRO:
This time, we are going to combine multiple techniques in to one QUICK LICK. This will involve Alternate Picking, String Traverse, Pinky Power, Streeeeeeeetch/Reach and hand synch. It's a lot to put in one lick and the way the lick is constructed it's difficult to play it on a loop, which is exactly what I'm going to ask you to do smile.gif Play it at least twice on a loop with no gap in between. This isn't an easy one, but it's a great lick work in order to shape up a variety of techniques at once. It's a great lick to warm up with and to drill with using a drum plugin or metronome.

Here is the tablature. You can pick this any way that you like. Try to pick each note and palm mute all the strings including the one we are working on in order to give the lick a percussive vibe. You can play this lick very slowly for your vid. You don't have to shred it. No extra points for speed, ever. This is a tricky lick requiring odd fingering. Take is slow smile.gif

Attached Image

Attached File  14.gp5 ( 1.84K ) Number of downloads: 133

BACKGROUND / COMMENTS
This lick is based on a lick by our own CAEL. Here is a link to it. CAELS LICK In the original lick, it's done as a Legato pattern. In this version, we are going to palm mute and pick everything!

BTW:
This is just a starting point, feel free to add your own flourish during your vid. Add any techniques you lick on top of this to make it your own ! Just play the original lick looped at least once smile.gif

GIVE EM HELL!

Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 11 2018, 02:54 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Feb 11 2018, 01:11 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi

This is my take....

Cheers

Laurent

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 11 2018, 10:43 PM
Sooooo Close!!! Take another look at the tablature. There is a note on the FIFTH FRET that's for the PINKY. It's built that way to force you to make the stretch. The way you are playing it is much more efficient, but misses the point of the drill, it's supposed to be forcing you to make that big stretch between your first and last finger smile.gif Give it one more go!! Watch my vid again to see my fingers, there is a close up shot of my left hand!

Todd

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Feb 10 2018, 08:11 PM) *
Hi

This is my take....

Cheers

Laurent

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Feb 11 2018, 10:52 PM
Learning Roadie
yes, i know... i'm too much lazy !!

i'll do another take...

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 11 2018, 10:56 PM
You can do it!!! Try to put your guitar in classical position for just one pass of this and you will see how much more reach it provides for your hand. That's part of this drill, letting folks feel out how much / little reach they are working with.

Todd

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Feb 11 2018, 05:52 PM) *
yes, i know... i'm too much lazy !!

i'll do another take...

Cheers

Laurent

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 14 2018, 02:20 AM
Learning Rock Star

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 14 2018, 04:53 AM
PERFECT!!!! Folks, this is EXACTLY what I'm looking for here. He even nails the big vibrato at the end. I could not ask for more. This is a CLINIC in every technique that I want you guys to get out of this drill. As a bonus he makes it look scary easy! Ben my man, This is just freaking killer. You nailed every single one of the techniques that I was looking for as explained in the original post and did it with ease and flair. Good muting, hand synch, clean strikes, and PINKY POWER!!!! Dude you just killed it. I'm glad that his one is hear an example to show everyone exactly how it's done. SCORE!!!

You just.....

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 13 2018, 09:20 PM) *

+Quote Post
George Hlio
Feb 26 2018, 06:44 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Todd my take on QL 14!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 27 2018, 03:18 AM
KILLED IT!!! Again using minimal gain, so nothing is hidden under wads of distortion which is a very brave thing to do as it shows exactly what is being played. This is a PINKY POWER lesson. So the whole point is to stretch that pinky out there and make a BIG stretch and stick the landing. This is the hard bit of this entire thing. You nailed it with the pinky EACH AND EVERY TIME and you did it over and over. Very nice work. You have a serious amount of reach and it's impressive. It's going to serve you well in the WARS TO COME!!!!!

In other words you just ...

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image

QUOTE (George Hlio @ Feb 26 2018, 01:44 PM) *
Todd my take on QL 14!

+Quote Post
George Hlio
Feb 27 2018, 06:57 AM
Experienced Rock Star
Thanks Sarge! I 'll keep on working hard!

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Aug 15 2018, 12:42 PM
Learning Roadie
Lick 14

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 16 2018, 02:19 AM
I appreciate the aggressive style!! But you may be rushing a pinch an overplaying it a smidge which is causing you to miss a few notes. This one is all about precision, no points for speed. It's a bit of a finger twister. It's designed to force your fingers to play an awkward phrasing despite the fact that it sorta feels wrong. As a result, it's very easy to play what feels right, which is sadly the wrong notes. It's built to feel wrong. I'd say cut your speed in half. Play it note by note until you have the sequence down pat. Then double pick and go nuts! But first, play it way slow and make sure you have each note. Once more in to the breach!!
Todd
QUOTE (onetabmat @ Aug 15 2018, 07:42 AM) *
Lick 14

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Aug 28 2018, 12:30 PM
Learning Roadie

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 29 2018, 11:34 PM
You've got all the bits to make this work except for the note sequencing. I've thrown a bunch together with a bit of back and forth in the intro, which is the sticky bit. Look at the first five notes in the sequence and play them one by one. You've got the rest of the lick down. As this lick is all about being able to play a wonky sequence, the sequence needs to be right. You are still maybe going a bit fast. This isn't a shred lick, it's a long string of notes with tricky bits built in. There is no speed requirement, slow down a pinch and make sure you on point with the sequence. I hate to ask you to try this one again, but the sequence of notes is the tough part that i need folks to get to move on from this one. Once more in to the breach!
Todd
QUOTE (onetabmat @ Aug 28 2018, 07:30 AM) *

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 30 2018, 08:48 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QL14 Take 1 for you attention sarge. Wet and dry takes in you folder on my OneDrive wink.gif

https://youtu.be/LLvA3PIRiPw

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 31 2018, 01:39 AM
BINGO!!!! This is exactly what i"m looking for on this one. This series of notes doesn't exactly roll off the fingers so you have to pay close attention to the sequence or it won't come out right. That's the point of this little diddy, to get the hand to play something that it may not want to play smile.gif You nailed it!! You got the sequence and you had good form while you were doing it. Good mute, good alternate picking, good pace, good hand synch. You KRUSHED it and ...
LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image

Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Aug 30 2018, 03:48 PM) *
QL14 Take 1 for you attention sarge. Wet and dry takes in you folder on my OneDrive wink.gif

https://youtu.be/LLvA3PIRiPw

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 31 2018, 08:15 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Tood smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Oct 20 2018, 03:13 PM
Learning Roadie

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 20 2018, 07:07 PM
NICE!!!!! You've got it!! Good stretch, clean strikes, solid hand synch. This is exactly what I was hoping to see from this lick. You got the note sequence down pat. You play very evenly and in a precision manner. I can tell that you've improved since just the last time I saw some of your vids! If you been practicing, it shows!!! keep it up!! I think you are ready to rip through these quick licks. Nobody, has completed them all. I think you could be the first!! A new one is going up today. Number 50. You nailed it and just..
LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image

Todd
QUOTE (onetabmat @ Oct 20 2018, 10:13 AM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 20 2018, 09:24 PM

+Quote Post
Adam
Oct 3 2019, 04:06 AM
Learning Roadie
Twice the pinky - double the stretch!

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:07 AM